Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 09:02 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Attracted because we are.
I've always preferred the same type. Whether that is regarding looks or personality.
So u don't think t.v or magazines or others have a influence on attracion. I mention this because in the renaissance era, society thought bbw woman where the most attractive and prized. Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 09:36 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
So u don't think t.v or magazines or others have a influence on attracion. I mention this because in the renaissance era, society thought bbw woman where the most attractive and prized. Interesting.
I am positive it does for some, but not for me.

There is certainly a 'look' that society/media/pop culture pushes -- but I don't think everyone buys into it. Maybe younger more impressionable people are influenced..

Old 08-09-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
I am positive it does for some, but not for me.

There is certainly a 'look' that society/media/pop culture pushes -- but I don't think everyone buys into it. Maybe younger more impressionable people are influenced..
Ya i agree with u but this isnt a black or white, all or nothing issue. I know not everyone is brain washed by society on whats attractive. I just thought it was interesting how thru the ages the idea of whats attractive or desirable has changed. I got to thinking if it was just a biological thing then wouldn't it stay or be consistent thru time?

Old 08-09-2013, 10:02 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Ya i agree with u but this isnt a black or white, all or nothing issue. I know not everyone is brain washed by society on whats attractive. I just thought it was interesting how thru the ages the idea of whats attractive or desirable has changed. I got to thinking if it was just a biological thing then wouldn't it stay or be consistent thru time?
some good points, I agree it is interesting
My answer was more in what I find attractive, (i.e its always the same characteristics/looks, regardless of what is being pushed)

but certainly yes, in some eras or cultures there is/was a collective desire for fairer skin (ie not being field workers etc) or fuller figures (ie having wealth) - which then are influenced by 'society'.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
some good points, I agree it is interesting
My answer was more in what I find attractive, (i.e its always the same characteristics/looks, regardless of what is being pushed)

but certainly yes, in some eras or cultures there is/was a collective desire for fairer skin (ie not being field workers etc) or fuller figures (ie having wealth) - which then are influenced by 'society'.
Hmm another example would be i grewup in Hawai'i, majority of the population is asian. Now today i find Asian or Asian Hapa(mixed) Wahines(woman,girls) the most sexy wahines in the world. Now is this because of my exposer to them in Hawai'i? Or is this biological? What if i lived in an area where a big majority of the population was African American? Would i then find them the most attractive? Interesting thought.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:10 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
I think healthy looks are the most attractive with glowing hair and skin. not too skinny, not too fat..

Old 08-10-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I think healthy looks are the most attractive with glowing hair and skin. not too skinny, not too fat..
Mahalo for ur post and opinion.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:21 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
This is sort of a 'chicken or the egg' situation. Are men attracted to certain qualities because of media? Or does the media show certain qualities because men like them and it will generate more views?

Old 08-10-2013, 01:37 PM

445 posts, read 864,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
Actually, it could be that simple. I am an African American female, but I am very concerned about my weight. When I get around African Americans men and women that always ask what I am so concerned about. I personally do not like being considered "thick", and this is how I grew up. I first when to schools that was most black and then later most when to school where everyone was mostly white and felt I had make sure I look a certain way to be attractive.

I feel like I have to workout hard and stay certain size to attract white men
for African American men you can breathe a little bit.

This psyche causes a lot of anxiety and worry and could contribute to so much of the obesity in this country. The stress of everyday life and trying to stay a certain weight is stressful and many people turn to food.
Maybe "the swirl" is not for you.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:37 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
I find that there is quite a range in the types of white guys that hit on me. And I have a pic up. I am not "skinny."

As for attraction? Sometimes I catch myself being attracted or unattracted to people for socially constructed reasons.

They are probably way too complicated to go into on this thread. Or maybe I don't want to be that open about it. But a lot of attraction is absolutely socially driven. We have definitely established that it is ok to be attracted to certain types of people. And not attracted to others. And the rules are different for each ethnic group and social class.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty