Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 10:43 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Are you including clear? They make my nails look super clean and I like that. Clean is good, so is being well groomed. I can't understand why that is a turnoff for many but whatever.

About 90% of the time I go I am the only man in there. This has been going on for 6 years and while I pretty much only go to one now I have been to different salons in the past. It could be my area or just the East Coast.
I am thinking colors. Clear is on the edge but ok. The place I go tends to have 1-2 men for various services. My sister says her place is like 50% men. We have so many nail salons though and I have only been to about 4 of the 30 in a one mile radius. Each salon has its own personality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 10:46 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Shaving you head is a hair cut. It is just cut to the skin. I can't believe you posted that.
Way off topic but poster cloven clearly noted that he shaves his hair himself.

It's a fair comparison, like some cut their nails themselves as opposed to going to the salon where in most cases they will do a better job.
I fully understand where she is coming from and why that was posted.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:06 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am thinking colors. Clear is on the edge but ok. The place I go tends to have 1-2 men for various services. My sister says her place is like 50% men. We have so many nail salons though and I have only been to about 4 of the 30 in a one mile radius. Each salon has its own personality.
Wow, that is amazing! And here I thought they were plentiful in my area.

I guess I was right that it must be a West Coast thing, at least as far as men customers go.
I hardly ever see them here. Thanks for the post and the earlier clarification.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:53 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Wow, that is amazing! And here I thought they were plentiful in my area.

I guess I was right that it must be a West Coast thing, at least as far as men customers go.
I hardly ever see them here. Thanks for the post and the earlier clarification.
Frankly we have too many. I think because it is such a common immigrant business. All commercial districts in Oakland have at least 10. Haha. Some are higher end, some are lower end. In one of the areas near me you even see one almost every other storefront on some blocks.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:17 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
It's really not that big of a deal, there are certain sects of men that have been getting manis and pedis for decades, mostly corporate types, but certainly nothing to do with their manhood, they also get facials, spend time in saunas, on massage tables, (minds out of the gutter,) use hair gel, color their hair, etc. I'm not into efiminate males, to me this doesn't instantly catogorize as such, doesn't mean some aren't. Now if one giggles, gets giddy and hums I feel pretty at the thought of being pampered in such a manner and often wants to join the girls on such junkets, well .

Last edited by TRosa; 06-04-2013 at 12:29 PM..

Old 06-04-2013, 12:24 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
You know in some states they are not allowed to use the razor on the skin. I know they don't do that here in Virginia.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:30 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Sort of but I'm really not that picky. I need to mention that I do not have anyone currently in my life. I guess you don't read my posts on the Relationship board, LOL.
It has gone up since I broke up with my ex mainly because she was a nail biter and that is a major turn-off to me. On a side note, so is bad teeth.

There is more to getting a pedicure than getting the nails trimmed. It good to get the dead skin scraped off from the bottom of your feet. It's the part I hate the most but I know it needs to be done.
When the lady buffed the bottom of my foot I nearly kicked her. I'm very ticklish. She cracked up at how ticklish I was.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:33 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
A few years back when I was working as a mechanic I won a 'spa day for two' and took one of my male coworkers. He's a SUPER manly man, but I told him we could share some whiskey while there and he agreed He LOVED getting pampered and now goes fairly regularly to get mani-pedis.

Most guys feet are disgusting and I think it's awesome that many of them go to get regular pedicures, and now most of my guy mechanic friends go in for regular manicures as well. Oil and hydraulic fluid can destroy your hands and skin so getting a little pampering here and there is perfectly fine.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,049 times
I wouldn't feel the least bit weird about getting a manicure/pedicure if I were you. My husband is a landscaper and while he's good about keeping his nails clipped and using a nail brush to clean them, his hands (and feet too) are very rough and he refuses to use any kind of lotion. Don't get me wrong, I love that he's a manly guy but to me it's kind of stupid. I think it's a geographical thing too. That whole metrosexual phenomenon from years back seemed to be geared more towards big city men. And from a woman's perspective, a nice soft touch is where it's at.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:37 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
When the lady buffed the bottom of my foot I nearly kicked her. I'm very ticklish. She cracked up at how ticklish I was.

That's the one thing, I dread about pedicures, I'm extrememly ticklish, so I spend a lot of time bitting my lip trying to contain myself. I will often warn them, that I might wiggle just a tiny bit. Lately though, I've been doing them myself more and more, because I haven't found a place where I've liked the way they do my pedicures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty