Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 10:31 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,103,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariagostrey View Post
why do women want to look pretty and more attractive? is it not enough to be healthy and disease-free? why do they want to have bleach white teeth, blemish and wrinkle-free skin and toned and athletic legs instead of a healthy body with a reasonable BMI?

Not every woman thinks she has to go through all that nonsense just to try and impress society. Some of us are happy with our natural beauty and move on with our lives without worrying about how others perceive us. We don't lack for male attention either and can share our lives with anyone we choose to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 07:59 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,770,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Because they want to get laid by the hot guy at the bookstore, and get hired for the good job at the conglomerate.
That's the nitty gritty of it (though, of course, there are more dimensions beyond that).

But don't mention it out loud, everyone wants to believe they're fully above baser human motivations.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:09 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,704,519 times
I'm pretty sure you'd have to have been raised by robots on a moon colony with no exposure to life here on earth to honestly need people to help you answer this question.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:21 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,145,407 times
Because it's important to society. It's a cold hard truth, but it is easier to make it in this world (getting a job, getting good services) if you look good. The same really goes for men. This is not some crazy idea women hatched up on their own.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:24 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,145,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Because most women want everything to look pretty. Their house (inside and out), their car, their clothes, their pets, their neighborhood, literally everything.

That's why it is sad and ironic that most women will age beyond being able to look pretty themselves, so at least they can fall back on their pretty homes and gardens I guess.
Most short-sighted thing I've ever read on CD. "Because most women want everything to look pretty". Shut down the thread, people, we have our answer!

Old 06-08-2013, 02:03 PM
JL

8,519 posts, read 14,495,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Not only Western society.
Yep...it is almost everywhere in the world these days.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:15 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,290,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Not every woman thinks she has to go through all that nonsense just to try and impress society. Some of us are happy with our natural beauty and move on with our lives without worrying about how others perceive us. We don't lack for male attention either and can share our lives with anyone we choose to.
I have to agree with this. I know I sure don't. In all truthfulness, I don't ever 'style' my hair. I brush it and it just hangs long or I either put it up. No make-up. I am me. If a person doesn't like me for who I am then good for them. Not a problem.

I would much rather a person like me for who I really am than some made up person who I am not.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:51 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,800,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
Because it's important to society. It's a cold hard truth, but it is easier to make it in this world (getting a job, getting good services) if you look good. The same really goes for men. This is not some crazy idea women hatched up on their own.
This is your answer.

Studies have shown students get better treatment from teachers if they are pretty.
Also,it tranlates into better jobs,better homes,and a much wider array of potential mates.

People are very,very mean to unattractive people,esp women. I live it everyday.
Both men and women do it,so it isn't just men that look down on ugly women.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:09 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,364,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I have to agree with this. I know I sure don't. In all truthfulness, I don't ever 'style' my hair. I brush it and it just hangs long or I either put it up. No make-up. I am me. If a person doesn't like me for who I am then good for them. Not a problem.

I would much rather a person like me for who I really am than some made up person who I am not.
This. Fake nails with girls is a huge turn off, as is girls that wear make up alllll the time. Occasionally is one thing, but not always.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-09-2013, 07:13 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
I asked her once, why she can't just be "natural." She said it was expected of her, and that looking young, beautiful and "perfect" is the way of life for her and her daughters.

I feel kinda bad for them though. Must suck having to care what other people think of your every move.
Who exactly "expects" it of her?
I guess that's the difference between a kept woman and one who makes her own $$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty