Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 10:49 AM

206 posts, read 768,366 times

Advertisements

why do women want to look pretty and more attractive? is it not enough to be healthy and disease-free? why do they want to have bleach white teeth, blemish and wrinkle-free skin and toned and athletic legs instead of a healthy body with a reasonable BMI?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 10:53 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
Because in general American society, a woman's percieved value is directly related to how she looks.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:01 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariagostrey View Post
why do women want to look pretty and more attractive? is it not enough to be healthy and disease-free? why do they want to have bleach white teeth, blemish and wrinkle-free skin and toned and athletic legs instead of a healthy body with a reasonable BMI?

Huh?

You do realize that wrinkle free skin is a result of not being in the sun, which is NOT healthy
You do realize that white teeth come from good dental hygiene, flossing and brushing several times daily, which is healthy...

You do realize that ATHLETIC legs are HEALTHY. Skin and bones are not as much. But having non-athletic legs is a sign of not exercising or dieting right or being overweight.

If I see a girl with great defined legs, I assume she plays sports, she is HEALTHY she probably eats well, get's cardio and weight training...

This post is the reason girls think that if you just go by BMI, they are ok. That is NOT healthy.. Staying out of the sun and tanning beds, practicing good hygiene, and exercise are all HEALTHY things.

BMI is about the most stupid thing every brought into the health industry. It goes by height and weight and accounts in no way for body type or muscle mass.

I'm 5'10" and 210 lbs. By the BMI I am OBESE..... I also have less than 10% bodyfat and great abs. I have a bodybuilders physique, yet I am considered "obese" by this BMI chart. Lol.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:06 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,012,198 times
Quote:
why do women want to look pretty and more attractive? is it not enough to be healthy and disease-free? why do they want to have blemish and wrinkle-free skin and toned and athletic legs instead of a healthy body with a reasonable BMI?

It depends on the woman and the economic/social circles she is part of. Personally, I like being pretty because it makes ME feel good. But that doesn't mean that I am blemish free, wrinkle free and have a toned and athletic body. lol. I like wearing makeup, and doing my hair, and wearing nice things. But I also like to go without makeup, wear t-shirts, and be natural.

My Aunt and her daughters are part of the "Wealthy Elite" crowd. They wouldn't be caught dead going to the supermarket, gas station, or anywhere else without being fully made up, dressed to the nines and looking "perfect." My Aunt has had a facelift, eye lift, nose job, botox and liposuction.

I asked her once, why she can't just be "natural." She said it was expected of her, and that looking young, beautiful and "perfect" is the way of life for her and her daughters.

I feel kinda bad for them though. Must suck having to care what other people think of your every move.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:10 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Healthy will do the work for you as far as appearances go.

Everything else is just extra. Some NEED it. Some don't.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:27 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,995,568 times
Because they want to get laid by the hot guy at the bookstore, and get hired for the good job at the conglomerate.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:35 AM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
Why is this in the relationship thread?

Also, I know plenty of women who don't give a rats arse what they look like.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:37 AM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Because they want to get laid by the hot guy at the bookstore, and get hired for the good job at the conglomerate.
Offensive....even more so because a woman has said it.

Some of us just have pride in our appearance and some self esteem.

We're not all man hungry 5luts.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:38 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
Because most women want everything to look pretty. Their house (inside and out), their car, their clothes, their pets, their neighborhood, literally everything.

That's why it is sad and ironic that most women will age beyond being able to look pretty themselves, so at least they can fall back on their pretty homes and gardens I guess.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:56 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:

LOLOLOL! I don't think anyone ever married anyone just because they were healthy and disease-free!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty