Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 11:02 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times

Advertisements

If you are very fair-skinned, the sunscreen in makeup is not enough to protect you.

I have recently developed a sunscreen allergy, but before that I used Neutrogena sunscreen that was specifically for faces, underneath my regular makeup. I use Revlon Colorstay makeup and never had trouble getting it to stay on top of the sunscreen.

Since I developed the allergy, I have been using baby sunscreen with titanium dioxide and zinc (because everything else makes my face turn bright red, swell up, and then blister and peel) and then using Colorstay makeup on top of that. The baby sunscreen has kind of a drying effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 01:33 PM

328 posts, read 997,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
Sunscreen needs to go on bare skin and sink in 15-20 mins or so before it becomes effective. You also have to reapply every few hours, especially if sweaty. What SPF do you use? How often do you reapply?

Have you ever tried using a mineral makeup? That is easy to top over sunscreen and is something that is easy to reapply during the day.

Once you burn you are going to be more prone to burning for up to 8 weeks after the burn is gone. You should try to stay out of the sun or get a higher spf lotion at that time.
The problem is i was out in the sun for a few hours and did not reapply. Also I put it on over my makeup instead of under it. I was using mineral makeup but switched to tinted moisturizer by Oil of Olay. Also, a hat would probably help but I have never been a hat person. My husband recently got a really nasty burn on his head and has become a hat person in the summer whether he likes it or not lol.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:36 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
If you're going to be in the sun for a few hours, you should use a sunscreen/block first and foremost. Dermatologists recommend at least a grape-sized dollop on just your face, and nobody uses that much makeup.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:03 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Intellishade is a good tinted moisturizer. I use it and it stands up to the heat and humidity in the hot weather.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:44 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
I am fair skinned and I use Eucerin Daily Protection Moisturizing Face Lotion SPF 30 under my make-up. I don't wear a lot of foundation and work in an office and rarely go outside throughout the workday. I mainly wear it for the drive to/from work. If I am working in my yard, I'll slather on my Coppertone Sports Sunblock. Went to the dermatologist last month. She said my Eucerin product was a good product for my needs.

I use Oil of Olay Deep Hydration Regenerist Cream at night.

I live in a very dry climate. My office registers 12% humidity; outside it's 6%. I don't have a problem with greasy skin 'cause it's so dry here.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:53 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
The Best Sunscreen Routine for Summer 2013: Here's Your SPF Strategy: Girls in the Beauty Department: glamour.com

Old 06-10-2013, 06:57 PM

362 posts, read 543,924 times
Try Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer (SPF 20). I can't use foundation of any sort, because it's too cakey on my face, but I can slather this stuff on, and I never look greasy or made up. I apply it with a foundation brush, and it lasts about 4-6 months. If you go to Nordstrom or Sephora, they'll make up free samples for you try it.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:40 AM

87 posts, read 134,614 times
If you like make up why don't you try some of the natural make ups..
Natural Make Up, Mineral Make Up, Natural Make Up|Sheer Cover®India
http://www.bewellstaywel.com/

I hope this will help

Old 06-11-2013, 07:53 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,860,701 times
I usually put on a moisturizer w/ spf in it, then apply BB cream w/ spf. If it's going to be humid or I know I'll be running around a lot that day, I'll out on some light powder to set it all.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:36 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling View Post
The problem is i was out in the sun for a few hours and did not reapply. Also I put it on over my makeup instead of under it. I was using mineral makeup but switched to tinted moisturizer by Oil of Olay. Also, a hat would probably help but I have never been a hat person. My husband recently got a really nasty burn on his head and has become a hat person in the summer whether he likes it or not lol.
You can mix that dry mineral makeup into sunscreen and apply that like a tinted moisturizer. For touch ups it probably would work best if you had a makeup wipe swipe to cleanse your skin and then reapply your lotion/mineral mix. Just mix it in your palm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty