Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 12:33 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times

Advertisements

The official health statistics say obesity is very common among both genders and is actually slightly more common among men. Yet it seems like I see a lot more obese women. My theory is that a lot of men classified as obese are actually buff as hell. On the BMI scale they score as obese but all of that extra weight is muscle not fat.

If someone from 50 years ago traveled to 2014 I think they would be shocked at how big everyone is. How fat the women are and how muscular/athletic the men are, especially the young men.

I am open to the idea that being a man I naturally check women out and so all the fat dudes right before my eyes are invisible to me. But it really seems there are more obese women. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 12:44 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
The rate of obesity is higher in men according to the stats. Those uber buff men you speak of are very rare. Women face more weight related stigmas than men do.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:40 AM

706 posts, read 1,180,133 times
I tend to see more fat women than men. That's surprising that the rate is higher in men.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:59 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,045 times
I am not sure. While I might be surprised to learn it's higher in men, I wouldn't be inclined to believe it's a lot higher in women, either. Maybe because men tend to carry their extra weight in just their stomach, while women carry it all over, so it's more noticeable in women? I don't know. I would tend to believe the statistics are more even. When I think about couples I know, the women are definitely more health conscious.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:55 AM

686 posts, read 1,231,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Is Obesity More Common Among Women?

I am open to the idea that being a man I naturally check women out and so all the fat dudes right before my eyes are invisible to me. But it really seems there are more obese women. What do you think?

I think it may be more common among men but unfortunately women seem to get more harshly judged and affected by their obesity. An overweight/obese man is almost not even noticed (in terms of his weight) but a woman who is overweight/obese is immediately looked at, judged and treated differently just because she is overweight which is just crazy.

Just looking at many of my friends, I have to say that waaaaay more of my male friends are overweight/obese than my female friends. I can count on one hand the number of overweight/obese women I know but can run a big list of dudes who can stand to lose some weight. And these are active, athletic dudes who just drink beer a lot.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:23 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I think overall there are just WAY too many people these days that are (to put it bluntly) morbidly obese. I'm not talking about people with just 10 or even 20 extra pounds, I am talking people with 50 or more extra.

Up until around the 1970s, people on the average were way smaller, they ate smaller portions and not as much processed foods. Probably got more natural exercise, too. These days, foods are uber-processed and portions are jumbo-sized. And too many people eat for recreation and get no exercise.

I think it's probably equal for both men and women.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:05 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
The official health statistics say obesity is very common among both genders and is actually slightly more common among men. Yet it seems like I see a lot more obese women. My theory is that a lot of men classified as obese are actually buff as hell. On the BMI scale they score as obese but all of that extra weight is muscle not fat.

If someone from 50 years ago traveled to 2014 I think they would be shocked at how big everyone is. How fat the women are and how muscular/athletic the men are, especially the young men.

I think your opinion gets in the way of facts.

There ARE fat men... they are not all buff, muscular and athletic as you state.
And, believe it or not, there are women who are buff, muscular and athletic!

Old 01-18-2014, 09:09 AM

389 posts, read 692,555 times
Quote:

I'm American, and I'd like to know where the heck all these "buff as h*ll" men are, please and thank you.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:11 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
I have not seen those packs of super buff guys roaming the streets. If you find them can you let me know?

Seriously though, I think guys tend to carry their extra weight differently than women and it is not as noticeable in some of them. Guys can also cover up more than women and still be fashionable. Guys wear shirts to the beach all the time, and no one think twice. When a woman does that it looks weird unless it is a beach cover up, which no one wears in the water.

Also, people tend to judge a heavyset man as still attractive while a women is judged more harshly.

I think the statistics are pretty accurate.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:16 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,790 times
Fatness has been a mark of the beauty, healthyness and richness in history. There was a time when face had to shine fat before it was seen pretty.

Things change, nothing interesting going on. Fat willl be appreciated again in future.

But people who never been interested how society tries to rank things are always happy and beautiful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty