Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 06:32 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,655,549 times

Advertisements

I thought this was a disconcerting comparison.

The Dirt on Clean Beauty
More and more products promise “clean beauty,” along with plumper lips and fewer wrinkles. But what does that actually mean?

Currently, the European Union bans more than 1,300 ingredients from use in cosmetics.
In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration bans 11 cosmetic ingredients.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/04/s...an-beauty.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2023, 08:41 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I thought this was a disconcerting comparison.

The Dirt on Clean Beauty
More and more products promise “clean beauty,” along with plumper lips and fewer wrinkles. But what does that actually mean?

Currently, the European Union bans more than 1,300 ingredients from use in cosmetics.
In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration bans 11 cosmetic ingredients.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/04/s...an-beauty.html
There’s a YouTuber I like who tries out a bunch of make up. And he just put a video out talking about not feeling well, and going to the doctor.

He was prescribed anti-depressants. So we went to his mother who ran a really big blood panel and I can’t remember the specifics but it was bad. Like heavy metals and stuff like that. BUT — one of the things he does he buys knock off make ups and uses them. And that stuff’s not safe. It’s made by people who are trying to convince people that they can buy a $200 foundation for $.32. They don’t care what’s in it.

And one other thing that’s going on in the beauty world is that if a new brand gets some traction, one of the biggies buys them.

I’m doing this from memory and not enough coffee, L’Oreal, and Estée Lauder are the two biggest. And then they start changing the brand.

I can remember I finally found a foundation that I liked. I have simply given that up now. Luckily, I can get away with it. But this was years ago. So I finally found this foundation and I used it for like almost 2 years, and I needed more. And I went back to the company and they no longer made it, and a lot of their cosmetics which I really liked because they didn’t contain soy, I was allergic to it, and now they did, and they had been purchased by Estee Lauder. Soy was the hot ingredient of the moment. It’s a good ingredient, but not for me.

I miss Burt’s Bees. The BEST lip balm ever. Soy. Clorox owns them.

Sort of went off topic there. The difficulty is a lot of companies will make things available here that are not the same formulations as over in Europe. So you almost always have to buy it from Europe. And they may not ship here. So I have to say I don’t know. Everything we put on our skin goes into our body. Our skin is that our largest organ. As I said I love to watch these Youtubers do their make up. To me that’s less cosmetic and more art. And it’s not something that I would ever do. But they are putting tons of stuff on their face.

And I will never understand it. What is the point of blanking out all of your features with a foundation and then having to add in warmth with three different products, and then concealer to highlight all over the face, 5-6 eyeshadows, mascara, lashes, 3-4 lip products…. I mean it’s stunning, yes, but holy cow. No wonder they have to double cleanse.

Old 01-26-2023, 07:22 PM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
They most likely are safer, because, contrary to the US - they are regulated.
People are very fussy about toxins.
That's probably why you don't see much of US cosmetics (or food) there, and what is actually imported from the US must comply with EU regulations.

The main difference:
Firms importing products considered to be cosmetics in the United States are not required to register with FDA, and a registration number is not required for importing cosmetics into this country. Neither the law nor FDA regulations require specific tests to demonstrate the safety of individual products or ingredients.

All cosmetic products sold in the EU have to be produced according to the good manufacturing practice (GMP). GMP requires that very batch of cosmetic products is tested for microbiological, physical and chemical properties in order to ensure safety and quality of each batch.

Same with supplements.

It's a Wild Wild West here...

BTW: US fabrics and clothes/shoes etc. loaded in toxins are banned from EU market too.
It applies to pretty much everything else too.
They do take care of their citizens health.

Last edited by elnina; 01-26-2023 at 07:38 PM..

Old 01-26-2023, 07:39 PM

2,210 posts, read 1,320,351 times
I thought this topic was so familiar!
From two years ago, ......
https://www.city-data.com/forum/57181686-post1.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Trace amounts of asbestos were recently found in eye shadow and concealer.
The US beauty industry is barely regulated, and the US has not enacted new cosmetic regulations in over eight decades.
Some products may be safe, but many are untested. "Natural" labels mean little, and the products aren't necessarily better for your health.
Here are the risky chemicals that could lurk in your products.

The law does not require cosmetic products and ingredients, other than color additives, to have FDA approval before they go on the market.

While Europe has banned over 1,300 chemicals from products sold there, the US forbids just ...11.

https://www.businessinsider.com/dang...up-list-2019-6

Old 01-27-2023, 05:11 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
They most likely are safer, because, contrary to the US - they are regulated.
People are very fussy about toxins.
That's probably why you don't see much of US cosmetics (or food) there, and what is actually imported from the US must comply with EU regulations.

The main difference:
Firms importing products considered to be cosmetics in the United States are not required to register with FDA, and a registration number is not required for importing cosmetics into this country. Neither the law nor FDA regulations require specific tests to demonstrate the safety of individual products or ingredients.

All cosmetic products sold in the EU have to be produced according to the good manufacturing practice (GMP). GMP requires that very batch of cosmetic products is tested for microbiological, physical and chemical properties in order to ensure safety and quality of each batch.

Same with supplements.

It's a Wild Wild West here...

BTW: US fabrics and clothes/shoes etc. loaded in toxins are banned from EU market too.
It applies to pretty much everything else too.
They do take care of their citizens health.
Bolded:
It is because the government pays for the healthcare of its citizens..

Old 01-27-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
I thought this topic was so familiar!
From two years ago, ......
https://www.city-data.com/forum/57181686-post1.html

Lol!!!
It just shows that nothing has changed, and no changes are expected...
Sad.

Old 01-27-2023, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Bolded:
It is because the government pays for the healthcare of its citizens..
Lol... I just wonder why this, mostly false statement, is repeated over and over again.
It just stuck in people's mind like a bad stereotype and won't go away, no matter how many times it's explained.

The EU government doesn't pay for the healthcare of it's citizens.

All working citizens pay their share - is deducted from their paycheck (like Medicare or SS in the US).
The only difference is that the money is not going to individual accounts, but into a big basket for everyone to share. The money is shared with unemployed, young and old too. So, no one is without at least a basic healthcare. That's why it's called universal healthcare.
It's not that much, really - just about 15% of their gross wages.
Lots of people in the US pay way more for their health insurance. And millions can't afford it. They pay almost as much for their church

Paying into a big basket means that everyone has an equal access to quality healthcare that improves the health of everyone, and that seeking such care would not cause financial harm to those receiving it.
Yes, no one gets bankrupt or has to make a life or death decision - food or meds/medical procedure.
It's not perfect but takes care of basic needs. And generally, there are less sick people because they have access to basic health care as needed. Whoever want more luxurious care or faster access, can pay for additional private insurance.

I so wish that people in the US would read this and try to understand. I know, it's maybe hard to imagine that there are countries that take care of all citizens and their health.

How Does Healthcare in Europe Work?

Old 02-07-2023, 03:18 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,571,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Maybe European cosmetics are safer?

We have to make the effort to find clean beauty brands but they are out there & growing in popularity more than ever. Some women get confused on the difference in clean beauty compared to organic or natural based tho, so they have to understand what they’re buying. I know women that think natural means safe or they won’t have a reaction to it but that’s not true ofc. I love making videos on clean beauty products almost as much as fashion because they get so many views….there are so many products available.

You can buy just as safe cosmetics here as you can in Europe.

Old 02-10-2023, 08:24 PM

Care to post some links to your videos and safe/clean products?
I think that most of us on this forum would like to know.. Oh, with the prices, please

Old 02-11-2023, 08:06 AM

3,107 posts, read 1,002,933 times
In Europe they do have more regulations regarding health. It's true. Food, water, cosmetics etc etc.

I use natural products that I make. Most of the time. Sometimes I do use Neutrogena products. Norwegian.

The stuff that I make is made from organic teas/plants, organic oils, honey, eggs etc. So all is natural, from Mother Nature. I do not like putting chemicals on my skin. Never did that on a regular basis. I mean...I try not to ...but as I said, I do use Neutrogena products sometimes. My mom is a retired biologist and she used to make creams and other lotions at home for us. She was a plant/trees biologist. So I know the value of making things using natural, clean, pure ingredients.

There is this channel on youtube that I do like. She's a nurse, stay-at-home mom now (with a small child). She has wonderful recipes for natural products. Basic things, simple things, nothing elaborate, natural, organic, easy to make. Including cleaning products for home, products that you make.

Here is the link to her playlist on her channel. Look for home made cleaning products, or skin care or what other subjects might interest you there.

I found her many years ago, when she started the channel and had only a few subscribers. After the pandemic, her channel increased a lot.

I hope that you find it helpful. Take care.

https://www.youtube.com/@FairylandCottage/playlists

Last edited by farm108; 02-11-2023 at 09:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty