Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 06:09 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times

Advertisements

I hate makeovers - cant stand having a stranger touch my face - but then again - I never get manicures or pedicures and I rarely get my hair cut - cant stand to have strangers touching me - especially with their fingers on my face - God knows where those fingers have been..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 06:45 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I hate makeovers - cant stand having a stranger touch my face - but then again - I never get manicures or pedicures and I rarely get my hair cut - cant stand to have strangers touching me - especially with their fingers on my face - God knows where those fingers have been..
Probably many of the same places your doctor or dentist's fingers have been. People that are in such jobs do this thing called handwashing.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:16 PM

179 posts, read 547,822 times
I love having my makeup done. I get to try out new products that I would never just straight out of the blue purchase, and get to see how they look specifically on me, not on some model. I prefer to go to Sephora, because they carry a wide range of products and are not biased to a specific brand. I got my makeup done recently when I was on vacation in Tennessee, and the Knoxville Sephora was great. She seriously made me look like I could be on a cover of a magazine , like I had been airbrushed - something I had never remotely seen before. It was a great experience and I ended up purchasing about $120 of makeup, also something I had never done at once. But it was worth it because I continue to use the makeup I bought to this day and it looks great!

Old 07-25-2009, 11:40 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times
I actually won a free facial at the mall. They did it right there in the store, with just this little curtain up. Then they did my makeup for me since I didn't want to continue shopping bare-faced. My skin was crappy at the time too, but it didn't bother me. No one was staring, and people get their makeup done all the time at counters anyway.

It's not something I plan on doing again, and I wouldn't have done my own makeup that way, but it looked okay for just walking around the mall.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:35 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
I think to have a job like that, you'd have to be the sort of person who thinks doing that kind of thing is fun. Some people really like applying makeup on other people, and really believe they are making them look better. Personally, I couldn't do it, but some people look at applying makeup as an art. They probably get used to seeing pimples and bad skin and whatnot... just like doctors get used to seeing naked bodies or hair stylists get used to seeing dandruff and grey hairs. You do something often enough and it just becomes no big deal. Just part of the gig.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:38 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
I like it when people do my make-up. I think its fun when it looks like nothing I would do. If they go heavy I have no problem telling them to tone it down. NEVER let them touch your face with fingers. Even if you wash your hands you can still transfer cold sores to your eyes from thier fingers. I always state that up front with a laugh. (do not put your bare fingers on my face because I am a germaphobe) They do not think its odd.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:08 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
Hey - news to you Chessie Mom - but my Dr. washes his hands in front of me and my dentist wears GLOVES - hope yours does
and I dont see any sink with soap at the cosmetic counter - maybe they go to the filthy restroom to wash their hands every 10 custimers or so

Old 02-16-2017, 11:11 PM

1,122 posts, read 960,438 times
I did that once and would never do it again. I first went to Macy's - had it done. Was overdone with too much glitter on my eyes. Decided to go to Ulta and it was even worse. I came home, took every thing off before we left for this wedding we had to attend.

I was 62 yrs old at the time and it just looked awful. I do buy Lancome skincare and makeup.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:29 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,045 times
It's not the people touching my face that I mind. It's that the last time I got my makeup done at Sephora she made me look like a clown.

Old 02-17-2017, 05:21 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,570,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If you don't like it, then don't do it!!

I like having makeovers. I get some good (and bad) ideas, and when I get home I can just wash off what I don't like.

What's awkward is all the ogling strangers walking by. MYOB, people!
I think that last sentence is kind of the point of the post, and you just confirmed that it is awkward to have makeup done at a department store.
If you're going to sit there, I'm going to glance at you as I walk by.
Go to Merle Norman or a professional make-up artist if you don't want people looking at you while you have this done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty