Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 07:47 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,140 times

Advertisements

According to officials, one inch less height can be compensated by $19K in additional annual salary or $142K in additional net worth.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:29 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Height's never really been an issue for me. One of the biggest crushes I ever had was on a guy who is 5'4 and I'm 6'1. The guy I'm kind of seeing now is 6'3 and is the first man I've ever dated who has stated that he liked my height. Unless you count the guy who was an amazon fetishist and wanted me to wear giant heels and step on him.

Regardless, I do think there are women who miss out on some great guys because they're 'too short', but I also feel like there are many men who meet out on great women because they deem them 'too fat'. Thus is life. People have preferences and we need to just get over it and move on.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:10 PM

855 posts, read 1,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Hooray for you! Love that confidence.

But, seriously, I don't want to be married to a guy who I tower over. OR who would not want me to wear heels because I would tower even further. Plus, I don't like when a guy only comes up to my boobs - bad for things like slow-dancing!
I am not heightist (is that even a word?), but I know what I prefer!
nd

You would almost come across as a cool chick that would tolerate me in your personal space. Honest and cool and absolutely nothing wrong with that. If you have shorter people, males and females as friends, this wouldn't be an issue.

A girl in Uni who was about 6'1 once made it very clear to me that my height and my size was a turn on. In fact more taller girls seemed easier to talk to with the exception of those few who are uncomfortable being around short people in general.

You know what you prefer. Nothing wrong with that as long as you don't insult the ones outside of your preference. Some people have a pension to dislike something with unnecessary insults which isn't good.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:37 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
My husband is shorter than 5'7, I am 5'2, I still wear three inch heels(not often) and I am still shorter than he is. My husband is a great man, he is sexy and makes me happy. Being tall is literally, overrated. This is coming from a petite gal.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:21 AM

834 posts, read 1,217,855 times
I am 6' and gals who are shorter than 5'6" are a deal breaker for me. It goes both ways--I prefer to have my unborn sons getting the tall genes as well.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:36 AM

6 posts, read 12,315 times
I'm 5"7 and I dated a shorter guy once. I prefer taller men its a turn on. To each his own though~

Old 07-20-2013, 07:32 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,572,507 times
Ah, another example of how we profile and discriminate. OK for height, ok for weight but not skin color. People are people and have their desires and tastes. Free to choose. Good thing too.

I gather that most women prefer taller males and according to psychologists it has to do with the stronger, taller male being better material for mating and having children.

I am on the shorter part of the height scale (male) and on occasion it has presented an issue especially when something is on a top shelf. However, in Vietnam, a much taller guy than me took a hit from a sniper which I assumed was possibly due to his making the larger target. You cannot make yourself small enough in a firefight. I always tried to hang around the big guys after that. Lesson learned.

But no question that above average height is a huge plus in our culture unless you are a jockey and clearly most women it seems prefer the taller male. Understandable.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:41 AM

387 posts, read 408,592 times
Personally speaking a woman has to be atleast 5'6". Being 6'7'' really limits your choices as I don't want a dwarf. Even when going out amongst friends it always good to know atleast a few of them are 6 and over. Being around alot of short people feels like i'm babysitting someone's children. Not trying to come off as a dwarf basher it's just that i've always been tall and couldn't imagine it any other way. Just like shorter people asking me if i'm 7ft tall or if I play basketball. You gotta love it.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:56 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
Quote:
With online dating, I see ALOT of women post something like: "Need to be 6ft+, got to wear my high heels!"
I wonder if the women posting this would choose a 6'3 man who was unfaithful, abusive, a jerk and unemployed over a 5'7 inch man who was kind, steady, faithful and gainfully employed?

I'm 5'9 and my husband is 5'10. I would never have a problem dating a man much shorter than me. In fact, I have always preferred shorter men (5'8 or so) to very tall men. It's amusing that I've known many very short women (5'1-5'2) demanding their men be over 6 feet tall.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:01 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I wonder if the women posting this would choose a 6'3 man who was unfaithful, abusive, a jerk and unemployed over a 5'7 inch man who was kind, steady, faithful and gainfully employed?

I'm 5'9 and my husband is 5'10. I would never have a problem dating a man much shorter than me. In fact, I have always preferred shorter men (5'8 or so) to very tall men. It's amusing that I've known many very short women (5'1-5'2) demanding their men be over 6 feet tall.
I don't "get" why women my height(5'2) need to find a guy almost a foot taller than they are. I have dated all heights, tallest being 6'4, but the ones that I have been serious with have all been under 5'8. I also have a preference for shorter, stockier bodies. My husband is my "type" and well, things are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty