Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 11:04 AM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I wonder if the women posting this would choose a 6'3 man who was unfaithful, abusive, a jerk and unemployed over a 5'7 inch man who was kind, steady, faithful and gainfully employed?

I'm 5'9 and my husband is 5'10. I would never have a problem dating a man much shorter than me. In fact, I have always preferred shorter men (5'8 or so) to very tall men. It's amusing that I've known many very short women (5'1-5'2) demanding their men be over 6 feet tall.
Height has never been important to me in my dating life. I know women who won't date a man under 6', and I just don't get that. I'm only 5'2" and dated a 5'3" man a couple of years ago. It was great to be able to look him straight in the eye instead of craning my neck to see his face or to kiss him. Tall or short, though, height would have no bearing whatsoever on whom I would choose to date.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:24 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
Height has never been important to me in my dating life. I know women who won't date a man under 6', and I just don't get that.
That's me!
I am 5'11", so 6' and up was preferred.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:42 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Quote:
I wonder if the women posting this would choose a 6'3 man who was unfaithful, abusive, a jerk and unemployed over a 5'7 inch man who was kind, steady, faithful and gainfully employed?

I'm 5'9 and my husband is 5'10. I would never have a problem dating a man much shorter than me. In fact, I have always preferred shorter men (5'8 or so) to very tall men. It's amusing that I've known many very short women (5'1-5'2) demanding their men be over 6 feet tall.
I've noticed in general taller women are more open to shorter men, I wonder why. Yes there are some women who would rather take a taller man who is abusive, cheats etc over a faithful short man but I look at it as it's their life.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:11 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
I am 6' and gals who are shorter than 5'6" are a deal breaker for me. It goes both ways--I prefer to have my unborn sons getting the tall genes as well.
This raises an interesting point. People who intend to breed will presumably select a mating-partner with desirable genetic characteristics, such as physical height. But what about for those who are child-free, or who are looking for a partner with whom they don't intend to breed? Would height be equally important?

In other words, is physical attraction always a surrogate for reproductive value?

Old 07-20-2013, 01:33 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,501,251 times
I'm taller than my husband by 3-4 inches. Really doesn't matter to me.

By the way, this prejudice in height runs both ways and men are just as guilty. If you look on the profiles of men, the vast majority list the height of their desired partner is whatever their height is and shorter. Some will go up to a foot shorter, but very, very few list that they're willing to go even an inch taller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortnblack View Post
A man's height IS a deal-breaker to the ladies who MAKE his height a deal-breaker. There are a lot of heightist women in this world, especially in western culture.
This is true, but let's be real. There are just as many heightist men who won't give the time of day to a woman a little taller than them. Unfortunately, it works both ways.

Last edited by kitkatbar; 07-20-2013 at 01:41 PM..

Old 07-20-2013, 01:43 PM

855 posts, read 1,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post

By the way, this prejudice in height runs both ways and men are just as guilty. If you look on the profiles of men, the vast majority list the height of their desired partner is whatever their height is and shorter. Some will go up to a foot shorter, but very, very few list that they're willing to go even an inch taller.
I can concur. It does go both ways. I'm more inclined to believe that the profiles being observed by the women are the ones reflective of the men having the height she desires. There are lots of guys shorter than the standard 6 feet who are willing and open to date taller women. Unfortunately these men don't measure up because they aren't tall enough themselves and they get passed over.

I don't think online is the best way for shorter guys to meet women because his profile is an immediate deal-breaker if he tells the truth about his height.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:48 PM

855 posts, read 1,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post

This is true, but let's be real. There are just as many heightist men who won't give the time of day to a woman a little taller than them. Unfortunately, it works both ways.
Sometimes it's easier for a shorter guy to avoid the most obvious rejection and not even bother approaching a woman who is taller. They are known to reject the little guys but not all of them do. The ones who don't care about height that is, or those rare few who seek out the shorter guys. Women have always been the ones on dating profiles that have the strictest of height requirements. Guys are more flexible accept when weight becomes an issue.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:38 PM

834 posts, read 1,217,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
In other words, is physical attraction always a surrogate for reproductive value?
In general, yes. But that's pure evolutionary instinct. Wealth overrules the male physical appearance.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:36 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Quote:

Yea me too. The girl I'm currently dating does this. We went to go eat and were sitted at a very large table. I put my arms across and she didn't notice how long my arms are til I did that. I have the wing span of a 6'2ish person at 5'11. She pretty much said, "why didn't it continue with your spine."

I wanted to tell her...you are 5'1...I can say the same thing to you!

Curious answers on here. I wonder if this is the norm or if the people who post here have a higher intelligent. I didn't think about height not being a key factor with age.

At 5'11, I don't notice too many people my height. Really notice this at the gym. Its either 5'8 or 6'2 so I'm in the middle of emptiness.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,717 times
Im 5'5" and 43 and still single. I have a great job. I work out and keep fit. Im always happy and work on hobbys and try to keep myself busy. Dating has been really rough. I know that height seems to be a major factor in dating and in the area I live in a area the competition of taller men is all over the place. Im sure my dating pool is a lot smaller than most of my friends who are taller than me. I just came back from a cruise and saw every couple the men were at least 6 to 8 inches taller than the women with high heels. Most of the women seem to average 5'2 to 5'8" and when 5 inch heels are on I'm short lol. At my job all the coworkers that are married or are in a relationship are in the 5'10 to 6' plus range. . Everyone says theres someone for everyone could be when your in your 20s but as you are in your 40s and still not in a relationship or married pretty much thats it. I heard everything about how short men try harder and have napoleon complex or confidence issues ect ect ect. Dating is a numbers game you try to ask out as many women you meet eventually you will get a chance???. I pretty much did the best I can and keep a positive attitude towards life. If you are in your 40s and single and short like me you just pretty much give up and try to enjoy your life as best a single person can do. If someone comes into your life then fine if not oh well. I live in reality and I do believe height is a deal breaker for women and shorter men have a smaller dating pool then taller men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty