Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 06:56 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,047,572 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure why you're getting such snarky responses. It's not like you're praising women of a certain body shape and demeaning all others. If these people didn't care, they didn't need to respond in the first place.

I get what you're saying and think it's fine that you appreciate some modesty and class.

People, it's one thread—move along if you disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 07:19 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
I wear spagetti tees in the summer. It was 91 today and heat index of 107. Cotton only. And shorts inside. I put on summer jeans outside and usually my yard boots. We've had a lot of rain and the ticks are out in force.

When we went out to dinner for a birthday I got one of my old floor length skirts and wore with with a vest and it was fun, but don't like skirts. I quit wearing them as soon as I could. The only fun ones are on faire costume or hall costumes for conventions. Regular clothes I like casual and simple.

I see no point in putting polish on toes. Sandles make my feet hurt anyway.

This doesn't mean I can't dress attractively. It just isn't the OP's idea of attractive. People like it or don't. Applies to anyone's taste.

So I'l gladly take a low five. If lace up boots with fringe over jeans and a good quality summer shirt with a cool hat works for you then good. I used to wear long flouncy skirts to the streetfaire in the summer back in California since it was special, but only wear them in that case.

I wonder if guys who keep saying how women look better in skirts have ever actually tried to wear them.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:21 PM

855 posts, read 1,383,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I wear spagetti tees in the summer. It was 91 today and heat index of 107. Cotton only. And shorts inside. I put on summer jeans outside and usually my yard boots. We've had a lot of rain and the ticks are out in force.

When we went out to dinner for a birthday I got one of my old floor length skirts and wore with with a vest and it was fun, but don't like skirts. I quit wearing them as soon as I could. The only fun ones are on faire costume or hall costumes for conventions. Regular clothes I like casual and simple.

I see no point in putting polish on toes. Sandles make my feet hurt anyway.

This doesn't mean I can't dress attractively. It just isn't the OP's idea of attractive. People like it or don't. Applies to anyone's taste.

So I'l gladly take a low five. If lace up boots with fringe over jeans and a good quality summer shirt with a cool hat works for you then good. I used to wear long flouncy skirts to the streetfaire in the summer back in California since it was special, but only wear them in that case.

I wonder if guys who keep saying how women look better in skirts have ever actually tried to wear them.
No low-fives to you at all. If anything, I prefer a woman to carry herself as natural as possible with as little to no make-up as possible. When make-up is worn properly to my tastes, it's not noticeable. Almost absent really because I believe it's used best when applied sparingly. LOL, your look is an awesome look too. Totally you can dress attractively, especially in what feels most comfortable to you.

Oh lawdy, one curvy hot babe at a show had on a wicked green army dress with the skull patch, hair in a ponytail, and some 20 or 30 hole combat boots. Floored me with that look because she was so natural and beautiful and chillaxed all at the same time. Loved it.

I'm a guy that loves a woman in jeans and the simple shirt look a lot. When I see a woman decked out in a dress to her nines, adds a nice pair of shoes and she's taken the time to make sure she looks good head to toe, is it wrong to give her praise for that and especially to women on CD who do it here?

Never meant to hurt or harm.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:29 PM

855 posts, read 1,383,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I'm not sure why you're getting such snarky responses. It's not like you're praising women of a certain body shape and demeaning all others. If these people didn't care, they didn't need to respond in the first place.

I get what you're saying and think it's fine that you appreciate some modesty and class.

People, it's one thread—move along if you disagree.
Thank you!

Some here just look for a fight because they have nothing better to do. That's OK. I try to provide those individual types with less ammunition. No need for me to perpetuate their negative vibes.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:18 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post

+1

@ shortnblack,
You're entitled to like what you like, and praise it. Everyone appreciates beauty. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:36 PM

37,124 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Thumbs up to tanks/capris....the golden ticket for the woman who is active in warm weather but doesn't need a pat on the head from anyone and isn't thinking about her sex appeal .

Old 08-04-2013, 05:23 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Yeah I didn't take offense with shortnblack's post - it was kind of cute in a "oh lookie, the puppy is licking my foot again" kind of way. You just want to giggle and give him a scritch behind his ears.

It's okay shortnblack, some of us "get" what you mean by it. You have specific tastes in what you consider physical attractiveness in a woman, and in a woman's presentation of herself. And you are basically sending a public "thanks" to women who present themselves and appear in the way that you find most appealing.

Not because they do it for you - but because they do it - and you notice it. They would've done it whether you approved or not. And you're saying - "hey - I appreciate you!"

BTW I'm not one of those women. I wear sweats in the winter, yoga pants and teeshirts in the summer, the only time you see me without my socks and shoes on is when I'm walking around totally barefoot - which means my calluses have calluses. I bite my fingernails, so there's no point in putting polish on them. I have a couple inches of fat covering my 6-pack (the muscles of which are rock-hard from working out at the gym), and I have cellulite on my thighs, and don't care who sees it.

On the other hand - when I -do- dress up nicely, I appreciate, when it's appreciated. And so - I appreciate your appreciation, shortnblack!

Old 08-04-2013, 06:31 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,597,909 times
Quote:
See, I'm the opposite. I love skirts or sundresses in summer. Can't stand all that fabric up around my bum and between my thighs in the heat and humidity. Let the breeze in! I wear them about knee length, a little shorter or longer depending on the cut, but nothing super-short.

And I'm not offended by shortnblack's post, but his opinion isn't important to me, either. I dress how I like and some of it happens to correspond with his preferences, so it's all good.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:49 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,047,572 times
Quote:
I don't think it's different than if women thought guys look better in suits.

I'm with weezycom. I've been wearing dresses more often this summer, and while I like jeans for practicality, I actually think I look my best in dresses and skirts. Certainly when the cut and fit flatters me, I feel more polished and feminine.

Perhaps these men are so used to seeing women in jeans that it's commonplace, and thus dresses and skirts stand out more?

Old 08-04-2013, 07:56 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortnblack View Post
No low-fives to you at all. If anything, I prefer a woman to carry herself as natural as possible with as little to no make-up as possible. When make-up is worn properly to my tastes, it's not noticeable. Almost absent really because I believe it's used best when applied sparingly. LOL, your look is an awesome look too. Totally you can dress attractively, especially in what feels most comfortable to you.

Oh lawdy, one curvy hot babe at a show had on a wicked green army dress with the skull patch, hair in a ponytail, and some 20 or 30 hole combat boots. Floored me with that look because she was so natural and beautiful and chillaxed all at the same time. Loved it.

I'm a guy that loves a woman in jeans and the simple shirt look a lot. When I see a woman decked out in a dress to her nines, adds a nice pair of shoes and she's taken the time to make sure she looks good head to toe, is it wrong to give her praise for that and especially to women on CD who do it here?

Never meant to hurt or harm.
Thank you! I was a little girl who's mom loved frilly dresses and dumped them as soon as I got old enough to say no. Mom was dissapointed. I think we should dress in what WE feel attractive in, because its the feeling inside that is really communicated in how we walk and act. A woman dressed to the nines who loves that is absolutely doing the right thing too. When we wear things which do not feel comfrotable it shows. On rare occasions I've been really really dressed up and its very neat, but its in part because its special. When I do wear a nice skirt combo I love it too, but would hate to feel I had to.

That's the thing, it has to be your choice. If I met some guy who kept suggesting I dressed some other way for him, I'd be gone real quick. Just as I'd accept his choice of wardrobe or expect him to leave. We all have to be allowed to be comfortable in our own skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty