Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 01:23 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
It depends on leg length and shape, leg hairiness, leg pallor, and how ugly the kneecaps are, plus how fitted the shorts are. Snug short shorts look very effeminate, and short shorts look stupid on long legs (retro NBA style).
Interesting that nobody thought there was anything wrong with short shorts on men for decades.

We now have basketball shorts that remind me of women's dresses in the 1950s.

Why don't they just wear their warm up pants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 01:34 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
This video is about men's bathing suits: A revealing look at bathing suit fashions - CBS News Video

But it's the same principle--the designers say that for men, the legs are usually the last to go, so why hide them?

Old 08-26-2013, 02:04 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Interesting that nobody thought there was anything wrong with short shorts on men for decades.

Why don't they just wear their warm up pants?
We don't know that short shorts were actually liked by the athletes required to wear them. I know for a fact that, in at least one professional baseball game where shorts were required (edit: they were above-the-knee), many players and viewers hated them.

The other point is that this isn't a comparison of short shorts with long baggy shorts, it's between short shorts and any sensible alternatives.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:24 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
...They aren't usually much shorter than an inch or so above the knee so it's not like I am wearing "Daisy Duke" type shorts. GF recently told me she thinks my shorts are too short and that guys shouldn't wear shorts above the knee. What do you think?
Too short why? Because they show your knees?

She sounds mental.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:10 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
This old Guy remembers " Hot Pants" from the 70s. If you couldn't get a date wearing those with a matching sweater ( I liked mine Monochromatic,( same pale /powder blue color ) you were in real bad shape !...If I recall right the name "hot Pants" was actually from the 60s, girls wore them, w/butt cheeks hanging out and GOGO boots were in style. I guess it was a take off from the GOGO girls who worked the clubs , sort a like pole dancers today.

Everything comes around, always has, now I see Gals wearing those boots again all over the place, not white however...

Old 08-26-2013, 05:46 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,552 times
the only men (boys) I see on the streets wearing shorts that come to below the knees are the people who wear the tops of their shorts just above their knees. And if that's what those girls really want they have awful fashion taste. the only fashion that fits the description is when pedal pushers were in , and that style was for girls.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:56 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
I grew up in the 80's when really short shorts were the fashion (at least according to old family photos I've seen) so I have always been used to wearing shorts that didn't ever go past the knee. In recent years it's become quite a quest shopping for new shorts because it seems that most shorts made in the last 10 years are the longer style shorts that go below the knees. For some reason it bugs me when I wear longer shorts since the fabric rubs against my knees as I walk. I do a lot of hiking/walking and the shorter "cargo" type shorts have always worked well and feel much more comfortable for me. They aren't usually much shorter than an inch or so above the knee so it's not like I am wearing "Daisy Duke" type shorts. GF recently told me she thinks my shorts are too short and that guys shouldn't wear shorts above the knee. What do you think?
I hate those long, below-the-knee shorts on men. They look SO stupid.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:26 PM

784 posts, read 1,980,857 times
I will answer why there is a resistance to men wearing short shorts with a post I made on the same topic in another thread. I wrote the following about 2 years ago and went back and found it to include it in this thread. Since I first posted it, I've noticed mens' shorts getting a little shorter. Nevertheless, the disdain toward males in short shorts persists, and the following will explain why. Here it is:

I agree that today's shorts for males are rediculously long and baggy, but I am starting to see the return of shorter mens' shorts. However, it will be awhile before upper or mid thigh mens' shorts, if ever, become popular again. I mean no offense to anyone for what I'm about to say, but I see this for several reasons:

1. Short shorts on men are now considered gay by a large section of the population, both male and female alike. This is largely due to a cultural shift that occurred in the mid to late 1980s, where men started covering themselves up as a reaction to the Gay Identity movement at that time. Hip Hop went mainstream at that time, and its long and baggy style became the only way for males, young and old alike, to dress. All clothes for males, especially younger males, from the 1990s on until about 2 years ago, was long and baggy. At the same time, females began showing more and more skin. Go to any beach, and you will now see men wearing big, bulky, and long-tentlike boardshorts and women wearing barely nothing, tie on the side string bikinis. At the same time, if a guy wanted to wear short shorts, it would be very hard because hardly anybody makes them for men anymore, with the exception of running shorts, and even most men now wear those longer, too. The only athletes who were the short shorts now seem to be marathon runners and professional wrestlers.

2. At least one whole generation of people were not alive or were very young when men regularly wore shorter shorts. They are now entering their 20s, and it will take a lot to convince them that this is an okay thing to do. There is a group on Facebook called "Men Can Wear Short Shorts Too" where the members often talk of harrassment by others for wearing short shorts and being men. The harrassment includes having strangers take their picture, rude comments from young men and women alike, and being pointed and laughed at. I once saw an older man wearing short shorts being harassed by several teen boys, one of which kept saying to the man "Why don't you just say that your gay!" and holding his cellphone up as if he was recording the incident.

3. Most heterosexual women these days, young and old, actually prefer to see males in longer shorts. I don't know why that is, but maybe someone can shed some light here, but they act as if the male thigh is a very disgusting thing while not even minding seeing other females nearly naked.

4. Most men value their manhood above just about anything else, and especially, their straight manhood if they are straight. While women have fought for and won, and rightfully so, many of the social acceptance and freedoms that they now have, I believe that a lot of men would feel fighting for some things, like the social acceptance to wear short shorts, will be an affront to their straight-manhoodness.

Now, shorts for males are becoming shorter, right above the knee. I think that if somehow, a young alpha male pop cultural icon goes around in short shorts, then the look has a good chance of coming back. It will be a tough sell, but possible. I think that men should be allowed to wear short shorts if they want to. I know that I would.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:37 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:

Exactly.

As I said earlier.....they look like those "skorts" old ladies used to wear. LOL

Old 08-26-2013, 06:42 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times
It seems like there is no happy medium, especially when it comes to basketball shorts. We go from maybe too short to way too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty