Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 07:36 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,784,390 times

Advertisements

I'm actually far from that, I don't take that much effort dressing up or put much effort into my appearance, but I just find it kind of stupid how stereotypically men who dress well are perceived as either gay/pretty boys or, 'metrosexuals' (kind of dislike that term). Historically men celebrated fashion as much as women, actually. Flamboyance is a male characteristic, if anything. Maybe straight men should start dressing better, oh wait maybe I'm buying into the stereotype too lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 07:39 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,859,615 times
Not sure why that is. I'd prefer a well-put together man than a slob any day.

I think it may have to do with keeping a balance. When one becomes obsessed or super preoccupied with their appearance, then I can see how it would be considered to be a little self-absorbed.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:49 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
I don't think it is THAT you care/dress well, but HOW you do it.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:35 PM

458 posts, read 644,607 times
It has nothing to do with dressing up or the type clothes you wear.
It's more about grooming and how you style your hair.
The more feminine you look, the more you'll be perceived as a metro-sexual.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:20 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,786,735 times
Stereotypically, straight guys were never as fastidious about their appearance. They often didn't get hair cuts regularly, they often wore clothes that didn't always fit that well, or clothes that didn't match, or were wrinkled. Facial hair was often never trimed, unsightly nose hair, hair in their ears would be untrimmed and noticeable. They often didn't care if they wore something that was out of style, often refusing to update their wardrobe.

Styling trends are often set by gay men, at least historically. Most of the designers are gay guys. I remember back in the 80's it became popular for gay guys to go to gyms in great numbers, building muscle. Pierced earings, tattoos, military haircuts, particularly high'n tights became very popular, and before you knew it, long hair on men went out of style. I remember when men started shaving their heads, it was primarily the gay guys who started that; straight guys didn't have a problem with doing the "comb over" that many of us found quite hideous. When I shaved my head back in the mid 90's, it was mostly gay guys who did it, embracing their masculine baldness proudly. Sure enough though, no matter what gay guys do, straight guys will follow. I remember when gay guys would have the crap beaten out of them for wearing pierced earings back in the 80's, then later, the straight boys decided they liked the look too, but decided to rationalize it by indicating which ear it was "appropriate." That didn't last long when guys started wearing both ears pierced. Gay guys are quite often the non-conformists of society setting trends, if you remember, straight guys would often refrain from wearing a lot of pastels. Colors like pinks, mauves, purple, chartreuse, were rare even in subdued shades. Now, men are wearing them.

Glamour was often stereotyped in the straight world as a womans domain, it was considered unmasculine for men to adhere that much attention to style and fashion. But, it was the gay guys who did much of the designing in the first place, and didn't have a problem letting people know it, wearing clothes that looked good and fit well, that were well coordinated. It used to be easy to distinguish gay guys from straight guys, but today, so many straight guys care much more about their looks than they did years ago. The "metrosexual" label came about to distinguish straight guys from gay guys who knew how to dress, and were conscientious about the way they look. Technically, the word "metrosexual" shouldn't even exist, but as long as homopobia persists, straight guys who are a bit more self-consious about the way the look will always want to distinguish themselves separate from any stereotypes associated with gay guys, particularly if they are not secure with their own masculinity or sexuality in the first place.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:41 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Stereotypically, straight guys were never as fastidious about their appearance. They often didn't get hair cuts regularly, they often wore clothes that didn't always fit that well, or clothes that didn't match, or were wrinkled. Facial hair was often never trimed, unsightly nose hair, hair in their ears would be untrimmed and noticeable. They often didn't care if they wore something that was out of style, often refusing to update their wardrobe.
When was this? Men used to wear tailored suits everywhere (even working class men.) They wore hats, coats, their shoes were shined, and their hair slicked into place. It was a point of pride, and yes, masculinity.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:27 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,786,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
When was this? Men used to wear tailored suits everywhere (even working class men.) They wore hats, coats, their shoes were shined, and their hair slicked into place. It was a point of pride, and yes, masculinity.
Nobody said there weren't some white collar professional men that didn't wear tailored suits.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:31 PM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Stereotypically, straight guys were never as fastidious about their appearance.
Never?
Sure they were!
Straight men even went to baseball games in jacket and tie... oh, and a hat! NOT a baseball cap!
My uncles were always impeccably groomed.

Just wondering if you are really young and don't know of the old days....

Old 08-27-2013, 07:58 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,784,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Never?
Sure they were!
Straight men even went to baseball games in jacket and tie... oh, and a hat! NOT a baseball cap!
My uncles were always impeccably groomed.

Just wondering if you are really young and don't know of the old days....
Exactly...I disagree with the poster. In the past straight men did indeed take a great deal of pride in their attention. Go back to the 1700s when men wore long curly wigs, wore blush and make-up, frilly clothing and stockings and high heels...stuff that would make most gay guys blush today, haha...ridiculous, sure, but remember the male is the more colourful and 'flowery' of the species, look at peacocks. Flamboyance is naturally a male domain, our era is an anomaly.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:24 PM

368 posts, read 577,304 times
It's not really men that just dress well, they usually have to go overboard to be thought of as gay. Manicures, pedicures, eyebrow plucking, light make-up and well dressed are usually the requirements xD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty