Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 02:14 PM

855 posts, read 1,384,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
It happened to my daughter the other day and she said she did not know how to react . She said thank you and left the store . I was wondering if this might have happened to any other women out there ? just curious and how you reacted .
Years ago a man could get away with this and in may cases would get rewarded with a polite thank you a smile and maybe even a description of the scent she's wearing in small conversation.

Now I'm extremely careful about complimenting a woman, almost to the point where I don't bother as much anymore.

Creep is the new favourite word for a lot of women. Unless you are an attractive man in her eyes paying the compliment, you'll get branded as a creep with a nose that has no business breathing her scents.

Your daughter did the right thing. Say thank you, walk out and leave it at that. Hearing that from you impresses me a little bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 12:49 PM

151 posts, read 210,892 times
I'd just say thanks.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:51 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
[
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
It happened to my daughter the other day and she said she did not know how to react . She said thank you and left the store . I was wondering if this might have happened to any other women out there ? just curious and how you reacted .
I would say either say "ok" or pretend I didn't hear him. I wouldn't feel any need to thank him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
It's funny how a thread like this can kind of evoke deep thoughts....I mean, it's kind of silly, isn't it...that people have to THINK about whether it's okay to pay someone a compliment!

Jeez, people can't even ACCEPT a compliment, without analyzing it for a damn month. The people who compliment others, have to weigh in on whether it's worth it to compliment someone...for fear of being thought a weirdo.

You look really nice

Thank you

You have the most beautiful hair.

Thank you so much! What a nice thing to say!

You do the most beautiful job with your makeup!

Well, thank you!

OMG!
If someone gives me a compliment I don't owe them anything. I don't think they are entitled to a "thank you" If the person gets offended or annoyed because I don't thank them that's their problem, not mine. I don't say things I don't feel like saying just to please some random stranger, I need to worry about my needs first and if I think it's creepy or rude I'm gonna do what's best for me and not what's best for some random stranger.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:27 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
[

I would say either say "ok" or pretend I didn't hear him. I wouldn't feel any need to thank him.

If someone gives me a compliment I don't owe them anything. I don't think they are entitled to a "thank you" If the person gets offended or annoyed because I don't thank them that's their problem, not mine. I don't say things I don't feel like saying just to please some random stranger, I need to worry about my needs first and if I think it's creepy or rude I'm gonna do what's best for me and not what's best for some random stranger.
Welll,aren't you special? what a cold attitude.
I heard Miami was an unfriendly place, but wow.
Most children learn a simple Thank You is the right think to do and that being nice is,well, nice.
I appreciate simple politeness in society and we could sure use more.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:15 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Welll,aren't you special? what a cold attitude.
I heard Miami was an unfriendly place, but wow.
Most children learn a simple Thank You is the right think to do and that being nice is,well, nice.
I appreciate simple politeness in society and we could sure use more.
No I'm not special, I just don't do things I don't feel like doing. I find your comments overjudgmental. You are not coming across as a very nice person, if you don't believe me imagine being on the receiving end of your post where you insulted me, my parents education and even the city I live in. Please stop here and go back and reread the post I'm quoting and notice your confrontational and condescending attitude. Those sarcastic smilies were not very nice either. Do you honestly think your previous post was nice and polite? Are you walking the talk?

If you wanna say thank you, giggle, laugh or even hand thank you notes after a compliment it's up to you. That is YOUR decision. I don't care, it doesn't affect me. I just don't share the same point of view but I don't think that entitles me to judge you, your city or your parents' parenting skills. In my opinion you just made up your mind and you just don't care to listen to the reasons why other people don't Think or act like you do. If they are like you, then they're wrong and they need to be punished with sarcasm and personal attacks. Guess what that's not how the world works, many people will not share your opinions that doesn't make them defective or evil.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:53 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,860,701 times
Quote:
[

Coming from a larger city, I think we put up our defences a little more than maybe those who live in more rural communities. It's not to be rude or unfriendly or 'cold', it's just something that comes along with living in an area that is densely populated. Personally, I think the "good lord" part comes across as straight-up creepster alert, and I would definitely just keep moving on, paying the guy no mind.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:34 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,629 times
Quote:
[

You sound like such a nice, friendly person.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:23 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,001,614 times
A man recently said, "Damn! You smell good!" I thanked him. (It confirmed that my $$$ wasn't wasted on the scents - and mixing them DOES work sometimes )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty