Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 12:38 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,366,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
It happened to my daughter the other day and she said she did not know how to react . She said thank you and left the store . I was wondering if this might have happened to any other women out there ? just curious and how you reacted .
Has never happened to me.

I imagine I'd have mixed feelings-I'd feel complimented, confused, and possibly a little unsettled.
I smoke-and I don't wear perfume-so I'd be surprised someone would say such a thing to me.
Coming from a stranger, it would alarm me a bit-
though of course, I'd like to think I smell pleasant-don't we all want to feel that way ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 12:58 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
To be honest, I am infinitely more puzzled when I get compliments on my outfit. It is a little random when the homeless guy says "I love the pattern on your dress!" But that could be just me.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:11 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
I'm frequently complimented on the scent I'm wearing by men and women, really not a big dea. It only really throws me for a loop when someone starts to salivate, like the time this guy said something to the effect of "I'd like to eat you up you smell so good" and he kept staring at me A after a long few minutes he apologized and said he wasn't hitting on me or anything, just that, to him I smelled so incredibly delicious. Last part not verbatim, I'm sure it was worst because, I was extremely embarrassed by the whole episode. Normally, when someone tells me how much they like how I smell, I give a wide smile and say thank you. Complements are nice, but, sometimes it's all in the delivery.

Either way, better than hearing someone say, gosh that person is stank.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:21 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
I have thought the 'Good Lord' part but I didn't say it. I was once seated at a dinner next to a man who was not in the slightest bit physically attractive and he smelled so darned good I found myself shifting in my seat to get closer. It was more than a few years ago and back in those days I don't think I had the confidence to just ask him what cologne he was wearing. I don't think I've ever smelled anyone that good in my life. I wanted to stick my nose into his neck and just sniff. But I've never forgotten how good he smelled.

But yes, I've had it happen to me (no idea if to the point someone wanted to stick their nose in my neck) and I always took it as a compliment.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:25 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
Quote:
It happened to my daughter the other day and she said she did not know how to react . She said thank you and left the store . I was wondering if this might have happened to any other women out there ? just curious and how you reacted .
Yes it has happened to me before, a few times, and the usual reaction is a faint groinal tingling "is he shaggable?" then usually, disappointingly, I say Thank You and smile politely and move on.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:28 PM

454 posts, read 793,385 times
it's nice to compliment people. i've complimented a woman "what is that wonderful perfume you're wearing" because i like it and would really like to buy some. and i saw some really great sandals this lady was wearing and said "wow those are really nice"! or i saw this young guy in a parking lot get out of a super-gorgeous rebuilt red 1965 Mustang, and "OMG your car is beautiful"! not creepy, not a pick-up line, just random compliments

....so yes i would react to the situation by the OP with "well thank you!" and be done with it

Old 08-21-2013, 02:45 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Just say thanks and move right along!

One of my lady friends gave me a hug the other day and I told her the same thing!

Old 08-21-2013, 03:27 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,719,353 times
Yes. It's happened to me. I just say, "Well THANK you!" By the way, I always have a little more spring in my step when someone pays me a compliment.

One day my daughter and I were at a local supermarket and one of the male workers said, "I hope you don't think I'm too forward for saying this, but GOSH you smell good! What is it that you're wearing?" Me "I don't think you're being too forward at ALL. Thank you very much, by the way. I'm glad you like it!" I told him what I was wearing and he said, "Thank you SO much! My wife has got a birthday coming up, next week, and I wanted to get her some "frou frou stuff", something that she'll enjoy. Does it seem selfish of me, to want to buy her some perfume that I actually like, too?"

I let him know that I thought he was an incredibly WISE man. LOL

I've heard people get all worked up over something like this, but then again...if a WEIRDO came up to me, got right up on me sniffing, then creepily said, "Mmmmmm you smell GOOD.", I might still say, "Thanks", but it would be very clipped and said while I was moving quickly away from him. In other words, he'd likely get a cold response....BAM! door is slammed!....back OFF.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:38 PM

861 posts, read 1,147,192 times
I have often thought about complimenting a women about her appearance but I'm afraid if I do, either I'll get hit with Pepper Spray, kicked in the groin, or have cops rushing after me. We live in a very weird world these days.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:44 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Quote:
Sounds about right. I guess if she were interested in the guy, it could have been an icebreaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty