Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 12:33 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,953,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean-a-thin View Post
My only problem with flip flops is how fricken nasty they get over time.
Even the beaded cork bottomed ones can be hand washed. Sturdier rubber and leather ones I put in the washing machine on gentle, ( I put a few cleaning towels in with them.)

There is no excuse to have any kind of nasty footwear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 12:35 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I have no problem with flip flops. Summer is short, and most schools don't allow them anyway. I think they are a heck of a lot more attractive than Crocs.

Although podiatrists seem to be in agreement that they are potentially the cause of issues in adult wearers, it isn't necessarily true for kids:
Flip-flops might help kids? feet (Science Alert)

Many manufacturers now sell more supportive flip flops, which are the type I prefer.
If you're talking about those Crocs that look like penguin flippers, I agree. However, Crocs have some nice looking shoes these days. I wore a pair of them to church this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I can't get over that people wear flip-flops to work in the city (Manhattan). It's almost like being barefoot on streets that you know dogs and people have urinated and spit on. But that's their choice.

My daughter likes flip-flops, but she is grown now. I never could wear them. I don't understand how you get them to stay on your feet. I cannot wear any shoes or sandals with something holding them on to the back of my feet. You have to sort of shuffle and always be conscious of trying to keep your shoes on your feet. Too much effort--i just want to WALK without having to think about it.
I agree, plus, I can't stand the thong between my toes. I go for slides myself, if I want pool shoes.

When the kids get to be teens, you sometimes don't much care what they wear to church, as long as they'll go willingly.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:46 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,958,468 times
I wear flip flops year round, unless there is snow on the ground, then I wear uggs.
The only time I wear shoes is if I am going to work or to play disc golf but I bring my flip flops with me and change as soon as I'm done.

I can't stand shoes, socks etc.

I wear them as everyday wear, a lot of people do.

No one wants hot sticky smelly feet.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:57 PM

52,011 posts, read 52,457,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Does anyone else have a problem with how often their kids want to wear flip flips? We were getting ready to go to the store this morning and then come home to go to church when I saw that my daughter had on her flip flips. Typical wear to the pool and back flip flops. I've told her before these are not to be worn as shoes and she still keeps wearing them. I don't like it. I think they're bad for your feet to keep wearing them as shoes, not to mention being no protection at all.

My wife thinks I should pick my battles wisely. I've told her this is a battle that needs choosing. So what do you folks say?
I agree with your wife.

Pick your battles wisely.... I don't think this is a hill worth dying for....

Old 09-01-2013, 01:13 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,311,680 times
I think people have abused flip flops.

I like sandals (different from flip flops). Flip flops are for the pool, beach, checking the mailbox, etc. Kids shouldn't wear them out like that because in my opinion, it looks tacky.

Oh, I'd like to add that pedicures are a must.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:05 PM

13,979 posts, read 25,889,429 times
Flip flops on kids are tacky????? Nothing on children is tacky, with the possible exception of designer names plastered all over them.

Flip flops are a summer staple. I wore them as a kid many moons ago, and I assure you, I never had a pedicure beforehand.

Truly a first world problem. And, in many other parts of the world, flip flops are all the kids have.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:11 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,151,745 times
I agree that tacky isn't really fitting. I think people in flip flops look easy going and chill. I also think they can spoil us. It's so easy to be in and out of them if your rule is to take shoes off when you go in the house.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:28 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,227,317 times
I hate flip flops but thats because I find them uncomfortable not because I think they look bad (well I do think they look bad but thats not a reason to hate them really). I won't buy them for my kid though unless she really wants them when she is older. They don't seem to be popular here anyway, everyone wears crocs (which I don't particularly like either but they are comfy so my kid has them)

Old 09-01-2013, 02:58 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,157,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I think people have abused flip flops.
The poor flip flops! Call CPS!

Old 09-01-2013, 03:03 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,658,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
We just compromised. At the store, we find a nice pair of what I call sandals (my wife called flip flops) that don't have the toe strap and are somewhat decorative. The other flip flops can be saved for the pool or perhaps will simply disappear one day when my daughter isn't looking.
How old is your daughter? If she's over 10 she ought to be able to choose her own foot ware, with the possible exception of church and formal occasions. You should listen to your wife on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty