Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 10:58 AM

1,484 posts, read 2,255,298 times

Advertisements

I love scarves. I hope it's cool enough in the desert I can wear some. They were very in when I lived in Europe a few years ago. I feel like they've been in for quite some time now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 12:24 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,229,942 times
I have been meaning to get a cobalt blue leather purse for the past 2 years so maybe this thread is the push I needed. I can't stand peplum on myself but it looks nice on other people. I don't know what it is (probably me being short 5'1) but I can only do 3" heels for sneaker wedges. Anything else, I need at least 4". Don't know if its trendy now or not but my eyeshadow and lip gloss will continue to be earthy colors.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:27 PM

5,749 posts, read 10,354,809 times
1. Cobalt blue

OK (does not complement my coloring, so I won't get it)

2. Oxblood

Love the earthy red tones (good for my coloring)

3. Monochromatic looks (with differing textures)

Easy to select outfits in the morning!

4. Slim ankle length pants

Maybe - That is usually too casual for me

5. menswear shapes and prints

Don't like overly structured, men's cut/style in clothes or oxford shoes (which are also popular for women). My tastes are more feminine.

6. peplum

Have always loved this (in the 90's and today). Surprised it is still in style - came back a few years ago. I had a thread about peplum awhile ago. I like that it can help create a very flattering hourglass, feminine silhouette (accentuates small waist, creates hip, covers tummy) but most posters seemed to disagree and hated it. But I LOVE peplum. It looks good on my figure type.

7. Leather in classic shapes

Like it classic in earthier tones (not cobalt)

8. fancy sweatshirts

not sure what that means... I don't like too much sweater embellishment, a little beading is ok though. IMO a good cashmere never goes out of style.

9. leopard

I think that has run it's course

10. fur

I want a fur handbag!

11. lower heels (classic 3")

Welcome relief for my feet!

12. fit and flare silhouettes

I like that

Old 09-05-2013, 09:18 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,770,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I have seen teeny boppers wearing Hammer pants.
They can be quite chic but it's a risky trend that is easiest when you're young, thin, and, of course, casual. I think this actually looks quite nice.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:53 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,131,761 times
The biggest update is the lower heel, which I love. Got really sick of sky high, chunky platforms. I'm 5'9 and long-legged and don't need gigantic heels. I'm hoping to see more kitten heels, specifically (1-1.5" skinny heels). I find those give the way flattering slant to the leg & posture without adding unnecessary height.

The trends are obviously a throwback to 90s minimalism. The focus is on texture and sleek silhouettes and making classic a bit futuristic. Since we've just gone through the 90s grunge throwback of busy, hippy prints & slouchy clothes, this is the obvious way the pendulum will swing.

It's kind of cool to relive these trends, as the first time around I was a teen & doing it much differently than I would now.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:26 AM

58 posts, read 146,161 times
I love Cobalt blue! It's my favorite color along with cornflower blue..Yay me lol

Old 09-06-2013, 11:31 AM

58 posts, read 146,161 times
OP or anyone that knows, what about boots? I've been on Coach's website (I have a $100 off $300) and I can't decide between flat or heeled and length? Any suggestions? TIA

Old 09-06-2013, 12:41 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,784,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scchristi View Post
OP or anyone that knows, what about boots? I've been on Coach's website (I have a $100 off $300) and I can't decide between flat or heeled and length? Any suggestions? TIA
Mixed textures are "on trend."

I think all of the boots on Coach's site now are pretty timeless! Lots of good choices.

What is in your boot wardrobe now?

I'd pick the Honey one if you have all the classics covered. Since it adds textural interest, and will work for a while. Buckles are on trend too.

Ankle boots seem to be extra popular right now, and hard to find in other seasons. And the new "cool" thing to do is pair boots with a knee length skirt/dress/tights or your skinny pants.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:52 PM

37,496 posts, read 45,805,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Isn't peplum over? I don't think it ever became popular and I see it all on sale/clearance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Not at all, it is still here. Saw lots of peplum dresses in the stores now, in the new fall section.

I happen to like peplum. But I also found that any peplum in the clearance rack all seemed to be really ill-fitting. Waist too high. Waist too low. Not enough waist definition.... It was definitely clearanced for a reason. The well fitting stuff flew off the shelves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
God, I find it to be hideous and so unflattering on 90% of women. It died a dead, dead death, here. Just never took off, thank God. Clearance/discount racks are chock full of peplum-laden attire.
Peplum will not be around long. The "wearability" factor is simply too low. It's one of those passing trends that appeals to only a few - it will come and go quickly...and years later, it will make that cycle again.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:40 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,131,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I'm 5'9 .
Oops 5'8. Wrote that late at night. Feel the need to correct it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty