Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 02:31 PM

818 posts, read 917,779 times

Advertisements

How do you tell someone you are dating she might want to try a stylish hair cut and some make-up ?
Now, I'm no fashion expert by any stretch, but a woman I dated was a tall" Amazon" type that never liked to cut her hair or wear hardly any make up.
I never suggested anything but, sure thought about it....
Has anyone ever done it with any success. ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 02:45 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
You don't.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:19 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
agreed you dont tell a woman she does not look good and some women are allergic to makeup such as myself . I cant wear makeup any more no matter what the brand my skin just will not tolerate it . I think if you really like this girl shut up and dont say another word about it .

Old 09-02-2013, 03:21 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Maybe she liked the way she looked? Women don't exist on the planet to please others with their appearance.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:57 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,236,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat View Post
How do you tell someone you are dating she might want to try a stylish hair cut and some make-up ?
Now, I'm no fashion expert by any stretch, but a woman I dated was a tall" Amazon" type that never liked to cut her hair or wear hardly any make up.

I'm no fashion expert either, but you are in potentially dangerous territory here my friend.

Maybe she liked that look - I mean perhaps she is an "outdoorsy" type who likes the natural look. You yourself have said that she is an "Amazon" type.

I have noticed that some, not all; very tall women seem to either grow their hair very long or cut it short and to wear very little or no make up. Also, some seem to prefer not to wear skirts.
A brother in laws ex girl friend said that she didn't want to "look like a drag queen". She was almost 6 feet tall.

From your screen name, you seem to enjoy the out doors so maybe she might not be bad fit. She won't be worried about her make up while out on a boat or breaking a nail when she's chopping wood.
You won't need to spend a lot of time at the mall either.

But esthetically, I agree with you. She would not be my type at all. I don't like women who look like the "Real House Wives of ..." with piles of make up and tons of clothes.

But I do enjoy a woman who is stylish and well groomed with good taste. Not overly trendy but not frumpy.

You really can't tell her that without hurting her feelings. Either take her as she is or move on. That's the best I can offer.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:07 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
If she tries something new, you compliment her. Otherwise, zip your lip or move on to someone more to your liking.

How would you have liked it if she had asked you to grow facial hair, or get a different haircut that would look better with your cheekbones? Or to work out or to dress with more style?

Old 09-02-2013, 04:08 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntFishRepeat View Post
No woman likes to be criticized about the way they look...none...a tall amazon type that's confidant enough to appear "natural" is exactly what a LOT of guys would want...maybe just not you.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:16 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I'm no fashion expert either, but you are in potentially dangerous territory here my friend.

Maybe she liked that look - I mean perhaps she is an "outdoorsy" type who likes the natural look. You yourself have said that she is an "Amazon" type.

I have noticed that some, not all; very tall women seem to either grow their hair very long or cut it short and to wear very little or no make up. Also, some seem to prefer not to wear skirts.
A brother in laws ex girl friend said that she didn't want to "look like a drag queen". She was almost 6 feet tall.

From your screen name, you seem to enjoy the out doors so maybe she might not be bad fit. She won't be worried about her make up while out on a boat or breaking a nail when she's chopping wood.
You won't need to spend a lot of time at the mall either.

But esthetically, I agree with you. She would not be my type at all. I don't like women who look like the "Real House Wives of ..." with piles of make up and tons of clothes.

But I do enjoy a woman who is stylish and well groomed with good taste. Not overly trendy but not frumpy.

You really can't tell her that without hurting her feelings. Either take her as she is or move on. That's the best I can offer.
The bolded is a FANTASTIC point. If she was tall and willowy/very thin she could get away with dresses/skirts/makeup/hair etc., but if she had any curves or had some weight on her, dressing up is a tight rope walk needing lots of balance. I'm 6'1 and if I put on red lipstick, use dramatic smokey eye colors, do my hair and put on a dress I'm verging on drag queen territory. My sister can do the same and she looks great..but she's also 5'5.

Tall women do have to be careful. I've been asked if I was pre-op or post-op by several people

Old 09-02-2013, 05:19 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Mod cut: Orphaned; off topic.

OP, the way you tell her she'd look better with a new hairstyle (etc.) is: 1. Get to know her better. Learn more about how she feels about her look. Is she attached to that hairstyle, or has she considered getting an update in the past? And 2. If she seems open to trying something new, open to experimentation, surprise her with a gift card for a cut, style and facial or massage (if that's an option) at a local high-end salon. You can say, "You mentioned a couple of weeks ago you'd thought about trying something new, I thought this might be fun. You deserve a treat."

Do not offer this out of nowhere, or it could blow up in your face. Wait until you're able to ferret out her feelings re: her current look/'do.

Some women just aren't into make-up. It's too "girly" for them. If that's the case with your gal, you may be out of luck on that score. But if she's not averse to it, some salons do offer the option of paying a make-up expert to apply whatever product they carry.

You might have to research what salon is recommended. A lot of them have graduates from beauty school who only know the generic styles they're taught in school. A good one will have someone who is creative, and is able to tailor a look to someone's unique facial features. Needless to say, the latter have the most success in finding a good look for an average Jane. You'll have to see what the buzz is among the women you know.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-03-2013 at 08:59 AM..

Old 09-02-2013, 05:24 PM

108 posts, read 285,641 times
That is usually reserved only for her mother! LOL
Sisters who are close do so too, especially if one is of the extremely outgoing, loud, say exactly what is on her mind type.
Those are really the only ones that can do so without consequences!

You can be 63 years old and your mom if she's still sharp and healthy at 90, will still always suggest you stylistically can make some improvements.
The Oh Mom, I just turned 18 for the 45th time, so I think I can make my own decisions now is one way of looking at it. She's still your Mom and she is likely going to be as honest and straightforward about things as ever. She still wants you to be the best, even though she knows you became the best years ago.
Beyond a certain point in life that is what they still do. They don't meddle or try telling you how to do other things but they enjoy suggesting hairstyles and clothes that they think would look nice for you.

NEVER EVER TELL A WOMAN THAT SHE'D LOOK BETTER IF........... even if you are correct that a change would do her good....
One way that might help would be if asked her about any hairstyle improvements that you could make for your own appearance. Ask her what she thinks about you changing your own hair to either this or to that.
She will tell ya. THEN MAKE SAID CHANGES Same thing about clothing/wardrobe improvements for you and not for her. She will tell ya what she thinks. THEN YOU AGAIN MAKE THOSE CHANGES She'll like the changes. I'm betting that she will like it that you value her input and expertise on which style and clothing for you-yourself that she will later feel great enough to ask you whether she should consider doing this with her hair....
....Once you get her to feel great and good enough to feel comfortable bouncing ideas or thoughts on similar topics....like what do you think of this dress, these earrings, my new skirt, etc. The way to approach these things is always in a geniune complimentary positive manner. She has her long hair up in a pony and her hair is clean and the pony is neat and not a hair out of place, you could say "you look really good with your hair up like that, it really does show more of your pretty face" . That is how you go about it. Don't say anything if she's been cleaning the garage or painting or playing tennis for 4hrs and is sweaty with greasy hair or with paint or dust/dirt/grime in it.
You can't be clueless, you gotta know when because she won't feel pretty with paint or spiderwebs/dust or sweat soaked hair.
She will just naturally open up and want to make small changes to please you over time if you follow this approach.
It is simply just you being kind and showing that you genuinely really care for her. Trust is earned. She'll then value your opinions about her look and style enough to ask you , "hey wadd dew you think" and until she gets to the point of asking you about a dress, skirt, earrings,essentially style related, if she does ask you at anytime what do you think, that means she really cares, and THAT IS YOUR CUE so you can now expand your suggestions to hair if you do it right. NEVER TELL A WOMAN SHE'S WRONG ABOUT HER HAIR STYLE OR CLOTHING, unless you're a woman or you're a gay fashionista.
Everybody knows women are just smarter than men. That is how we think.
Need to move something, open something, lift something, carry something.....and other stuff then guys are tops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty