Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2013, 05:20 PM

14 posts, read 31,919 times

Advertisements

Say you have two very handsome guys, each with black hair, brown eyes, and olive skin. Thing is:

Guy 1 is Hispanic/Latino
Guy 2 is Indian (like Raj from Big Bang Theory)

Now Hispanics are seen as hot blooded lovers that women dream of. Indian men are seen as more academically oriented.

Will the two men receive different treatment from women if they go out at bars and such or will their race pretty much be irrelevant? Like will women instantly be turned off by guy 2 the second he tells them he is Indian?

We are also assuming they are both American by nationality and have the same accent.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:17 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,353 times
Well, Raj from the Big Bang Theory is not a very handsome guy.... But I guess that's just a general reference in case people are too stupid to know what Indian is (?).

For me, it would not make a difference, given each had equally appealing facial features.
I doubt most women would be instantly turned off just by discovering a man she found attractive just 2 seconds ago is Indian. But there may be some cultural concerns, which I go into below.

This is why many American women will be drawn to Hispanic men more, generally speaking:

- They are more used to seeing Hispanic men in their daily lives & on TV. Only now are Indians making their way into mainstream American pop culture, and it seems there are a lot more Indian immigrants & American born ones in suburban areas now. But Hispanics have been familiar for decades longer. Their facial features & general look is less "new" and "foreign" to American women.

- They are more familiar with Hispanic culture, which in general shares more in common with American culture (and has even shaped it a bit; in the south west at least) than Indian culture.

- Many Americans identify as Christian of some kind still, even if just as a cultural/family tradition thing, and odds are that the Hispanic is Christian (or of that background, even if not practicing) and the Indian is not. Most Indians I meet are Hindu, Sikh or Muslim. They have a lot of practices, beliefs and holidays, etc, that are very foreign to most American women.

- There are a lot of ideas out there about how Indians date/find a marriage mate, and they generally amount to "arranged marriages" and "within their own ethnicity" and sometimes even "strictly in their own class/caste". Even if this is not fully accurate or not applicable to an American born/raised Indian, some may make these assumptions about them. They may worry about getting romantically involved with someone whose family may not accept them or where it cannot lead to something serious like marriage.

Why are these points significant? Because the average person is drawn to what is familiar to them. Even if it doesn't consciously register, they will find themselves more comfortable with something known over something unknown. The familiarity of the Hispanic is what will give him more of a draw. And even if assumptions about religion and dating, etc, are off, people may not bother to get past them, going for the better bet.

I'm not saying that's how it should be, but it's probably why you don't get the female attention you feel you should (assuming that's what this thread is really about :P).

Old 09-05-2013, 06:24 PM

58 posts, read 146,371 times
I'm a bit confused by your question..If both guys look alike and are both attractive...I wouldn't care about nationality. I'd go for the one with the better personality and I LOVE Raj from BB.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:29 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parapa View Post

Will the two men receive different treatment from women if they go out at bars and such or will their race pretty much be irrelevant? Like will women instantly be turned off by guy 2 the second he tells them he is Indian?
Which guy makes more money?
Which guy has a better job?

Old 09-05-2013, 06:38 PM

484 posts, read 761,169 times
Same question, different day?

Old 09-05-2013, 07:03 PM

14 posts, read 31,919 times
this is assuming they are the same culturally too (American culture) but just that their racial labels are different

Old 09-05-2013, 07:34 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
It depends. Is one a transplant vs one is 2nd gen? Is one hard core catholic and another agnostic?

Personally I would likely pick the Latino guy because every south Asian guy I was good friends with in college and my early 20s basically retreated into a mostly south Asian circle in my 30s. Those Indians I hung out with a lot 10 years ago I only see 1-2x a year.

But if it was a south Asian guy that didn't have a south Asian only circle it would not be an issue. Like I said I have Indian friends

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:10 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,784 times
Matter to what?
I'd pick the one I was most compatible with.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:30 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
This topic has been beaten to death. Closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty