Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 12:09 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,719,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You can buy clothing if you are overweight; you just can't buy designer clothing.
Or things remotely in style. Or professional and work appropriate (and flattering).

At the end of the day, the average american does not care about high fashion. But staples and a modicum of the latests trends should be available to everyone at any size. And options that are not polyester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 12:27 AM

1,739 posts, read 2,557,596 times
There is a difference between true fashion and plus size clothing. A lot of what the designers put out there simply doesn't translate into fat people sizes. The rule is: if you are fat, wrap it up. Go to Jenny Craig until you get right. But don't wear trends meant for thin people. You will look like an idiot.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
There is a difference between true fashion and plus size clothing. A lot of what the designers put out there simply doesn't translate into fat people sizes. The rule is: if you are fat, wrap it up. Go to Jenny Craig until you get right. But don't wear trends meant for thin people. You will look like an idiot.
99% of what is in stores isn't "true fashion." And 90% of "true fashion" looks crazy on normal people.

But you shouldn't be deprived of the color or shape of the season. Everyone can wear cobalt blue, or the military trend, or ankle pants or whatever other "new" thing is in this season.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:12 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,745,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I always seem to have a hard time finding brands that make short sizes, or they are way too expensive. I do have a pair of Ann Taylor's that fit pretty well, but even they are a tad long. Now that I have lost weight and am almost where I want to be, I may suck it up and spend the money.
We have no trouble finding them at the thrift store...any time I take my daughter, she finds at least ten pairs of jeans that she just can't live without (teenagers! ) but I make her pick one or two.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:40 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,716,414 times
I am a size 16-size 18. I have a strange body, like most women. I have a 38K bust in European styles, so if I want a bra that fits me I must purchase it online. There is one store here, which I am lucky to have in my area that will carry my size, but I'll be paying $85 per bra. I have a relatively narrow waist (32in) and wide hips, so all of my pants must be taken in at the waist in order to fit my hips. From what I've heard for plus sized women, it is hard because we all distribue our weight so differently. mine will go to my chest, butt, or thighs first....

I don't think I have a problem finding things, because I know where to go and know what brands I like.

I hate shirt shopping. Because of my chest, regular sized shirts look short on me..... If I can find something long, i will purchase it!

Old 09-09-2013, 10:52 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,533,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
We have no trouble finding them at the thrift store...any time I take my daughter, she finds at least ten pairs of jeans that she just can't live without (teenagers! ) but I make her pick one or two.
Yeah, I actually got my pair of Ann Taylor's at Goodwill. LOL The last time I went, I got three or four pairs that all fit. I'd never have that kind of luck in a regular store.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:47 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,152,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Perhaps but you still need cute, flattering and appropriate clothing.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

The major fashion houses (Dior, Chanel, etc.) don't care about anyone outside their target demographic.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
The major fashion houses (Dior, Chanel, etc.) don't care about anyone outside their target demographic.
They are "small potatoes" for volume. Their designs have no impact on the average person.
Mainstream stores, should cater to mainstream audience. The average Joe goes to Gap, Old Navy, Banana REpublic, Ann Taylor, J. Crew, Abercrappy or other stores at the mall (or etailers)

Old 09-11-2013, 11:05 AM

29,632 posts, read 34,129,603 times
I have a friend who's a bigger woman, and she says the problem with plus-sized clothes is that (like with everything) big women are all built differently. but the retailers don't want to have to carry different clothes for the woman with the big bust, who's built differently from the woman with the big belly, who's built differently from the woman who carries her weight in the hips/butt. So their go-to shape is "tent," which fits everyone poorly.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:30 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,111,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
Well as a tall woman (5'9"), it is nearly impossible to find pants with long inseams, so I sympathize there.

I'm a size 6 so, I can't say whether or not I've noticed a lack of sizes larger than a 12.
A lot of 'hip' mall stores (like J. Crew and Abercrombie and Fitch) don't stock sizes larger than 12-14 in-store. A lot of high-end brands like Kate Spade don't go above size 12.

The plus-size market is seriously untapped and plus-size clothes are HIDEOUS; I used to be overweight and have endured the burning humiliation of shopping at Lane Bryant. It is awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty