Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 12:22 PM

134 posts, read 494,220 times

Advertisements

I " liberated" myself from silk nails two weeks ago. I just got sick of wearing them for years and years. Suddenly, they just started to bother me so off they went. Now, I am free! However, my nails look like crap. The nails are quite weak and layer at the ends. I am trying to baby them but they just don't seem to want to grow. Does anyone know of a product I can use or a strategy to get them to grow strong and healthy? I don't want them to be long but I would like them to be at the ends of my fingertips. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Joyce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 01:36 PM

781 posts, read 3,808,412 times
I use this wonderful nail strengthening cream called "Barielle". I have used it since the 80's. It was hard to find for a while and I had to order it from the Vermont Country Store. About six months ago I was in Bath and Body Works and they carry it!!!! Here is the link:

Bath & Body Works - Shop By Brand: Barielle: Nail Strengthener Cream

Good Luck:-)

Old 11-15-2007, 02:18 PM

394 posts, read 1,997,961 times
I had my permanent french nails removed last April, and oy, what a mess my nails were! Where I had been going, the manicurist had been using a drill, and had literally drilled into my nails each visit. I had deep, painful grooves. It took four months for my nails to grow back out, hopefully you won't feel so sensitive for that long. My nails were really sensitive for about a month. I am a glutton for punishment though, I switched salons and started over again in September. I really missed the look of nice nails. Good luck, the Barielle product sounds terrific.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:51 PM

134 posts, read 494,220 times
Thanks for the replies and Martinez4....will be heading to the store this weekend. I am getting tired of sitting on my hands!

Joyce

Old 11-15-2007, 08:09 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,483,940 times
I removed mine two years ago and didn't think they would ever get better. They look great now.
I was getting a manicure on Monday and she complimented my nails...I said thanks, she said it was obvious that I take calcium...well I do but didn't realize THIS benefit.
My nails are stronger than they've been in years and I really don't do much to them.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:02 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,380,698 times
Well, I've never worn "enhanced" nails, so I may not know what I'm talking about. However, I used to wear my nails very long and people were always surprised at my secret: File your nails regularly! Don't let even tiny dings and tears linger longer than necessary. This advice has worked for everyone to whom I've suggested it.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:00 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,343,841 times
Taking prenatal vitamins will help grow your hair and nails out much longer stronger and thicker... maybe someone on here will chime in with what inside it does this, which vitamin escapes me, off the top of my head at the moment.

Sadly there's nothing better to do with badly damanged nails but baby them, and wait for them to grow out... just like a bad haircut, given time, you can grow out of any mistake.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:35 AM

781 posts, read 3,808,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoycieM View Post
Thanks for the replies and Martinez4....will be heading to the store this weekend. I am getting tired of sitting on my hands!

Joyce
Good luck, Joyce.....as I said....this stuff is awesome, it won't change your nails overnight but you will see them be stronger and crack/peel less

Old 11-16-2007, 09:13 PM

22 posts, read 85,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustamom View Post
I had my permanent french nails removed last April, and oy, what a mess my nails were! Where I had been going, the manicurist had been using a drill, and had literally drilled into my nails each visit. I had deep, painful grooves. It took four months for my nails to grow back out, hopefully you won't feel so sensitive for that long. My nails were really sensitive for about a month. I am a glutton for punishment though, I switched salons and started over again in September. I really missed the look of nice nails. Good luck, the Barielle product sounds terrific.

Any "manicurist" (in quotes on purpose) that uses a "drill"... walk out fast. They DO make "electric files" designed for the nail but what it sounds like you experiences was a dremmel drill... one sold at Sears.

The tech didn't know what she was doing and didn't care that your nails looked like after. Was it a discount salon? Please don't think that all salons are like this.

I have had acrylics for 10 years an everytime I soak them off properly they are strong and heathy, because they were filed properly.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:32 PM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,037,481 times
My mother believed in eating gelatin to strengthen her nails. She would take a packet of gelatin granules and mix it in a glass of tomato juice or V-8 to drink. Her nails were strong and all natural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty