U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 09:16 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,320,449 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

There is an acquaintance that I know through facebook who is probably packing about 350 pounds. It's not that she is not a pretty girl, because when she does her makeup she has a gorgeous face. (without the makeup, she is not quite so pretty)

On her facebook, she posts photos of herself that are photoshopped in order to make her look as though she weighs maybe 110 pounds. I think all of my mutual acquaintances with her are annoyed by this, but all for different reasons. I find it annoying, because if you are talking about feeling beautiful just the way that you are then you shouldn't feel the need to photoshop 240 pounds out of your photos. Other people find it annoying, just because she is fat parading that she is some thin girl.

Do you think that things like thisis on the same like of a a girl with acne who uses makeup and concealer to try to mask her skin problems?

Some people have commented about this on her facebook, that all of her photos are photoshopped. And her response is that she tolerated bullying through school and won't tolerate it anymore. Is it really bullying to point out the truth?

I guess my question for you guys is....

If you know someone who does this, would you ever call them out on it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 01:23 PM

262 posts, read 504,630 times
What's the point of having all this great technology if we can't use it?

Photoshop is expensive. If she's willing to pay that much to make herself look thinner (then actually working out) let her.

Just let people do what makes them happy.

It's not illegal to photoshop.

If Magazines can do it, then why can't the normies?

Ain't no one gettin' hurt..

Old 09-14-2013, 01:51 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,320,449 times
It's not illegal to photoshop, but is photoshop just another beauty tool or is it lying to people?

I don't really know my opinion on if it is a beauty tool or not. My opinion on the situation is if someone says, "That's not really you in those photos".... it's the truth.... but if someone were wearing tons of makeup to look better in photos... i don't think you can say "that's not really you"..... but both are meant to enhance what is there.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:22 AM

10 posts, read 10,352 times
I had no idea it was even possible to Photoshop that much weight off! Sorry but this has 'Catfish' written allover it.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:06 AM

262 posts, read 504,630 times
Catfish is pretending to be someone else. I'm not sure if Photoshop applies, if that's still technically you.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:30 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,620,180 times
I don't do Facebook but it seems everyone else I know does.... that said....

Isn't it mostly friends or friends-of-friends who go to a person's Facebook page? In that case, don't 99 percent of the people going to the page already KNOW that in reality she's much heavier than her Photoshopped picture. That being the case: what's her point? Her friends aren't the one's bullying her -- so who is going to her page that doesn't already know she's heavy. If strangers are doing it she should tighten her page security.

Unless she just wants to see herself thin (as inspiration for weight loss or whatever), what's her rationale? Even if that's the case why post them to her page. CLEARLY she has issues about her weight.

I know if I went to a friend's page and saw they photoshopped themselves down 100 pounds -- in ALL their pics -- I'd wonder what was up. It's stupid. No, actually it's sad, very sad, as well.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:23 AM

3,072 posts, read 4,796,436 times
My sister does this. I just pity it and hope she doesn't have too many bad online date experiences as a result.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:29 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,452,583 times
/\/\/\

If we are talking about representing herself to people that don't know her, then it is lying. Dating sites and such.

If it is her own personal facebook,, used in the manner that many of us use it (keeping in contact with people we already know,) then it is just odd.

What I don't get is going all the way down to very thin in the pictures, if she is actually over 300lbs. She could shave off 50lbs, look visually better, and likely never be called out on it.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:03 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,621,138 times
I think she has serious problems that she needs to misrepresent herself in that way. Photoshopping blemishes is cool but taking that much weight off and changing yourself entirely is weird. There was a girl on my FB who actuallly was pretty and had a nice body but she photoshopped her waist to be absurdly small and her butt to be larger than it was. It looked ridiculous and very obviously Photoshopped. You could see the building in the background suddenly curve in around her waist and outward around her hips. I posted "wow weird how the space-time continuum distorts around your waist and hips, do you have antimatter in your pocket or something?" She deleted me from her friends list lmao

Old 09-15-2013, 07:03 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,620,180 times
^^ This exactly. You talk about being bullied. 100+ pounds is a lot.

You talk about being bullied. IF she's misrepresenting herself with the photos and getting dates -- that's just ASKING for some ignorant, ticked off person to say something nasty to her. I know I'd be BEYOND pi$$ed, if I go meet someone and they're more than 100 pounds different.

I know that TECHNICALLY we're the same person. But actually when you lose or gain 150 pounds you are and are NOT -- the same person. You act differently, look different. Heck at 150 pounds you're usually unrecognizable at first as even being the same person. There person you're meeting wouldn't even realize it was you...and when they DID....oh, boy....

Rphirette is right: it's lying -- and odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty