Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 05:59 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times

Advertisements

I don't know where you hang out, but I hardly ever encounter anyone who smells bad. In the hot humid climate I live in, sweatiness is unavoidable, but people bathe.

One thing that people don't think of is how quickly polyester fabric picks up body odors. Why they sell so much of it here in the south is beyond me. Once, I tried to wear a blouse twice without washing it, and I could smell the polyester stink by the afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 06:09 AM

70 posts, read 97,714 times
Its not important. but its good if you use it.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:13 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
There are people who don't really sweat. My brother's ex doesn't really use deodorant because she doesn't really smell at all, however I think most people really do and women can also smell as much as men. I have smelled so many women already with Body Odour. Funny because they look so arranged ( dress, heels, coiffure and make up but then boooom ... Body Odour.

I believe it really helps control sweat.
True, i'm blessed in that department. My feet also don't smell, literally AT ALL. Even during a hot day wearing socks all day, and even if they're sweaty, you can't smell them. You can smell my mum's smelly feet from across the root.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:16 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:
There are people who don't really sweat. My brother's ex doesn't really use deodorant because she doesn't really smell at all, however I think most people really do and women can also smell as much as men. I have smelled so many women already with Body Odour. Funny because they look so arranged ( dress, heels, coiffure and make up but then boooom ... Body Odour.

I believe it really helps control sweat.
True, i'm blessed in that department. My feet also don't smell, literally AT ALL. Even during a hot day wearing socks all day, and even if they're sweaty, you can't smell them. You can smell my mum's smelly feet from across the room.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:10 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,524 times
I can skip it for days in the dead of winter, in the sumemr I can't stand myself!

Old 09-16-2013, 08:16 AM

317 posts, read 474,688 times
I'm lucky in that I sweat very little, don't really exercise, and live in a cool climate. So I don't use deodorant. In fact, the few times I have tried it, I sweated like crazy. Guess my sweat glands didn't like being coated and clogged with... well... whatever deodorant is.

I also can't use fabric softener or shampoo, so it's probably just some weird issue I have. But I'm bald and actually like my stuff kinda scratchy, so it's all good!

Old 09-16-2013, 08:35 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
Quote:
I wonder why there are people who can't smell their odour.
I think it must be because they are accustomed to it and do not realize it has an unpleasant odor. Maybe if they stuck their nose into their underarms, they would catch a whiff.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:41 AM

22,588 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
I wonder why there are people who can't smell their odour.
There are just as many people who douse themselves in perfume and can't smell it!

Old 09-16-2013, 08:45 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
There are just as many people who douse themselves in perfume and can't smell it!
Unfortunately, as bad as too much perfume is, it isn't the same as this thread's topic of underarm odor.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:53 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
It's not the most important thing in the world, but it is important.

I like to smell clean and fresh.
Me too, for sure.

Quote:
I can't stand being around smelly people.
Really unpleasant, especially in close quarters and for an extended period of time. Sitting down to eat in a restaurant, and realizing that someone at the next table smells like week-old road kill is a major turn-off, and I have simple gotten up and asked for another table. In a middle class urban environment it is not something I expect to put up with.

However, as a kid I worked in a factory, and many people stunk already at the beginning of the day because they wore the same clothes as the day before. I could understand it: if you do not have a change of work clothes for each day, or a wife who wants to wash you two changes every other day - then you smell. It be that way.

Working on the farm with my relatives, the men always smelled...and depending upon the circumstances sometimes the women too. At the end of the day the men washed up at the sink, and then in the summer discarded their work shirts and ate in their tank tops. They didn't smell as much then, but then they did the evening chores and went to bed without a bath. Deodorant was not a number one need. You do get used to it if you work with it awhile, and believe it or not, your own stink is a protection against someone else's odor.

Quote:
I spent a year abroad (I won't name the country) when I was in high school, and so many people there reeked. Most of them took a bath once a week, changed clothes once a week, and only used ineffective deodorants--not anti-perspirants. Lots of people had a cloud of stench around them all the time.
Over the years I have spent time with people in rural Ireland, Portugal and Cyprus, and in each of these places people with bad body odor were not extremely uncommon. Sometimes it is on clothes that have been worn over and over without washing, but other times it is the person's body. Country life means hard work for some people in these places, also no bath tub oftentimes, no heated bathing facilities or even a heated house, and daily clothes are worn over and over because washing without modern equipment is onerous and in the winter washing takes forever to dry...lots of reason for the aroma. Growing up the same conditions were common among the black families in my neighbourhood, and, of course, they smelled. Middle class blacks had the same standards as whites because they afford to.

As for anti-perspirants --- never. Every time I've used them I break out and get itchy under the arms as if I had more lice than a beggar.

Quote:
So revolting!
In contemporary urban settings, yes. But poverty and social class cuts into those standards pretty quickly, even today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty