Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 01:00 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,374,983 times

Advertisements

Prior to the existence of underarm deodorant there obviously wasn't any to use, but clearly there was a need because the odor was there, albeit possibly disguised however it was done. I have a close relative who stinks to high heaven and how his wife can stand it, I don't know.

Several years ago when I lived in another city, there was a heavy influx of people from a country either in the Middle East or nearby. Many took jobs as servers and when they needed to reach while setting an item on a table their need for deodorant was compelling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 02:11 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,562,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Deodorant is one thing I can't live without which is why I can't understand why there are people even women who do not even bother using one when they actually smell so bad. In the place where I am now, deodorants do not seem so important because there's just a lot of smell going on everywhere and as what I realized, seems like most grocery stores, sell deodorants only during summer because it is so hard to find one the rest of the year.
Diet a major factor in smelling... I eat an all organic diet, no processed or fast foods etc, etc...I workout and I don't stink at all, really! I do wear it when going out , but due sweating, not smell....

Old 04-08-2014, 04:54 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,133,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
What puzzles me is how people survived when deodorant hadn't been invented, and there was no television to convince anyone they needed it. Was every social interaction a worrying experience, as people fretted over whether they were going to offend someone else, or be offended? I can't believe it was. In fact the birth rate was higher, so obviously people were getting close to each other!
I still don't use deodorant after showering. Sandalwood powder is much more effective for my body. I only use deodorant after weightlifting, because that is when I sweat. I would much rather prefer natural powders at the gym as well, opposed to a bunch of chemically synthesized stuff rolled onto my skin. But those in the gym locker might mistake it for drugs and call the troopers .

Old 04-08-2014, 05:02 PM

1,100 posts, read 3,002,800 times
Quote:
Deodorant is one thing I can't live without which is why I can't understand why there are people even women who do not even bother using one when they actually smell so bad. In the place where I am now, deodorants do not seem so important because there's just a lot of smell going on everywhere and as what I realized, seems like most grocery stores, sell deodorants only during summer because it is so hard to find one the rest of the year.
VERY important. I can never understand why someone would want to go without it. The smell is so foul and offending. Gross!!!

Old 04-09-2014, 12:08 PM

18,356 posts, read 31,429,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
VERY important. I can never understand why someone would want to go without it. The smell is so foul and offending. Gross!!!

not if it is a hot looking guy, then it become erotic........

i hate deoderant, blech !

Old 04-10-2014, 06:10 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,933,389 times
I have to switch deodorants every now and again, because I find that my body gets use to any product after a while and does not work anymore. I prefer a more natural deodorant ( I am not fond of antipersperants and we are suppose to sweat and they just clog your pores), but I have yet to find one that works well or at all. Any suggestions?

Back in the 90's I found a product called Lavolin. It was a cream that you applied to your armpits when there was a small amount of hair. You washed regularly and applied the cream once a week. It worked wonders. It was expensive (around $12 for a small 2 oz container), but the stuff lasted a long time. Wish I could find it again.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:32 AM

43,303 posts, read 43,957,600 times
Quote:
Most people need to use it daily because even in the winter people sweat due to indoor heating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty