Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wardrobing - Buy, Wear and Return (Multiple Choice)
I have done it 5 7.04%
I would never do it 55 77.46%
I know someone who does it 7 9.86%
I don't know anybody who does it 24 33.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 12:22 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times

Advertisements

I once worked at "famous department store" and I know first hand how people would buy, wear, and return clothing. Even argued with a customer who bought, ALTERED, wore, and attempted to return a dress to me.

What do you think about it?

Quote:
The tags, fixed to high-fashion garments in highly visible places, are the department store’s new strategy to keep crafty shoppers from buying clothes, wearing them, and then returning them. Once buyers remove the tags, Bloomingdale’s, a unit of Macy’s (M), won’t take back the garments.

Shoppers, for example, may find a “b-tag” on a $1,100 red leather dress along with a stern warning not to remove it and expect to return it.
Bloomingdale's Will No Longer Lend You a Party Dress
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 12:26 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Honestly I have never done it. I think it's disgusting. I have returned clothing before that has hung in my closet...say like I buy something, then change my mind a few days later...that's one thing. But returning it after I WEAR it? Yuck. Plus who wants to walk around with price tags scratching them all day?

I've known various women over the years who do this, and I always thought it was nasty and trashy as hell.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:32 PM

When I worked at "famous department store" the clothes that were "technically worn" were not supposed to be put back on the floor to sell, but they did it anyhow. Just gross. When you buy clothing it shouldn't be a returned item. That would make it second hand clothing wouldn't it? If you suspect it has been worn and returned, always ask for a discount. Better yet, ask for a fresh item from the stockroom.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:36 PM

I'm just wondering if it's buyer's remorse or something. You buy something pricey out of your budget and you wear it and return it cause you can't afford it, or you think Bloomies is your personal closet?

Old 09-20-2013, 04:07 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Would never do it, have not done it, and don't know anyone who does (or at least admits to it LOL.)
Actually it would never occur to me to do that, I mean really? People do it regularly? Yuck. That is very low-class.

On the other side of the coin: I bought a formal dress at JC Penneys (no, not as high end as Bloomies or NM but still). Brought it home, decided it wasn't really what I wanted, and tried to return it the next day. I hadn't even tried it on again and it still had the tags, was in the bag, still crisp and creased from being folded into the bag and I had the receipt...and they flat-out refused to give me a refund. I even went up the chain to senior managers, but nope. Haven't been back to JC Penney's since and that was about ten years ago.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:05 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,934,552 times
No, I have never done it nor would I. If I only need something for a night, I'll just rent it.

I have noticed that it's getting harder to return clothes. I hate trying things on in the story and I much prefer to buy something, take it home, and try it on with other pieces in my wardrobe. Now I usually just order most of my stuff online. Thankfully, it's been easy to return pieces that don't fit.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:57 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
dont people wash clothes before they wear them?

I hate the newness feel and smell.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:57 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
I knew a girl who worked at a drycleaner's and she would buy clothes, wear them once, then have them cleaned and reattach the store tags with the tagging gun that they used at the cleaner's. They weren't even expensive clothes and she lived with her parents. I honestly don't know why she bothered.

Old 09-21-2013, 02:46 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
Yup yup. Only a couple times, and a long time ago, but I definitely did it.

The first time was a long formal dress from Sears that I wore to be an attendant in someone's wedding back in 1975. Several of us bought it, in different sizes, to be "matchy" but it was ugly and I'd never have worn that thing again. It had long sleeves and the tag was attached to the cuff so I just tucked it up in there!

The second time, and third time, was in the early 80's. There was a dress at a famous discount store that was still more than I (young and poor) could afford but I needed something fast to wear to a fancy wedding so I "wardrobed" it. A few days later another unexpected fancy event came up and the dress was still there so I "wardrobed" it again! I did feel a little guilty but desperate times....

I have returned TONS AND TONS of clothes after buying, bringing home, and deciding I didn't like it afterall. No guilt about that. Sometimes there is something wrong with it that you don't realize until you try to wear it...the fit may not be exactly right, it rides up or down or is too see through or too...whatever. That's legitimate. My son brought a sweater home today and when he put it on to show me we both decided a bigger size would be better so it's going back tomorrow. That's how it's done.

Last edited by Ceece; 09-21-2013 at 03:00 AM..

Old 09-21-2013, 03:59 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
I have never did it.

I'm the opposite.
If I don't like an item of clothing I bought,it just sits in my closet,which wastes money.
I don't have time to keep running back and forth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty