Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2013, 10:58 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times

Advertisements

I already had the private joke of bangs being used to cover up a swastika
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 07:00 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
OK, only read the first two pages but KATHRYN ARAGON, your photos are so pretty! I agree you look great with the bangs. I have big dark eyes like you and have worn bangs almost my entire life. I have a photo of me at age 9 wearing the same bangs and ponytail I sometimes wear today!

Frankly, I look terrible without bangs, especially since I am older. But instead of wearing them straight I am curling them and making them "poufy-er" now, it softens the look.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:53 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
OK, only read the first two pages but KATHRYN ARAGON, your photos are so pretty! I agree you look great with the bangs. I have big dark eyes like you and have worn bangs almost my entire life. I have a photo of me at age 9 wearing the same bangs and ponytail I sometimes wear today!

Frankly, I look terrible without bangs, especially since I am older. But instead of wearing them straight I am curling them and making them "poufy-er" now, it softens the look.
Thank you! I've worn bangs most of my life like you and I think they often do a great job of highlighting a person's eyes.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:15 AM

I thought about "soften" before. Too straight = too angular = too masculine?

With bangs, bright eyes, bright teeth, or something would help. But those things decrease with age. And can I point out the obvious that eyes can be highlighted with eyeliner, mascara, etc.? It's possible with women with bangs use less of that than other women, which could give bangs a positive low-maintenance vibe.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:34 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I thought about "soften" before. Too straight = too angular = too masculine?

With bangs, bright eyes, bright teeth, or something would help. But those things decrease with age. And can I point out the obvious that eyes can be highlighted with eyeliner, mascara, etc.? It's possible with women with bangs use less of that than other women, which could give bangs a positive low-maintenance vibe.
It's entirely possible for a woman to maintain bright eyes and white teeth well past middle age.

Look, here's the deal - some face shapes look great with bangs, and others don't, therefore some women will look great with bangs and others won't. It is what it is. I don't understand why YOU can't grasp this fact.

Old 10-04-2013, 02:39 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
Quote:
I've been thinking about this for about two months. Bangs don't look good. On men, they look stupid, most people would agree. On women, sometimes they look okay but never good and too often bad.

Bangs seem to be a trend on women, maybe a hipsterish trend. I struggle to understand. Is it about hiding something negative about the forehead? Is it an ease of care thing?

When bangs reach the eyebrows, that is just wrong probably all the time. Also, I think bangs are more tolerable with blonde hair, because they blend with the skin and don't get much attention. But I can't think of anyone whose most attractive hairstyle would be bangs. Do any men think bangs look great on women?

I disagree, bangs can and do look GREAT on some people; and not so good on others.

A perfect example of great bangs.

The Official Bettie Page Site- Pinup Queen Star

Old 10-04-2013, 02:50 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Look, here's the deal - some face shapes look great with bangs, and others don't, therefore some women will look great with bangs and others won't. It is what it is. I don't understand why YOU can't grasp this fact.
Exactly. Just as some face shapes look better with short hair, and others look better with long hair. Its the same with hair color. Some skin tones look better with dark hair, others are better with lighter hair. And some people have the right face shape and skin tone to do whatever they want with their hair. It really just depends on the person.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:36 AM

The last few days of this thread give me a special mix of frustration and boredom. Here it is - bangs are more likely to shrink sex appeal than to boost it, and heterosexual men are better judges of women's sex appeal than are heterosexual women.

Differences in sexiness in hairstyles are like differences in sexiness between faces. Both can be attractive technically/geometrically, yet one look clearly is sexier than the other.
Pictures & Photos of Frankie Muniz - IMDb
Henry Cavill - IMDb

I'd say bangs are overdone because of the style leaders who (thanks to face, makeup, etc.) can do it with hardly a dent in their sex appeal.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:23 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times
Quote:
The last few days of this thread give me a special mix of frustration and boredom. Here it is - bangs are more likely to shrink sex appeal than to boost it, and heterosexual men are better judges of women's sex appeal than are heterosexual women.

Differences in sexiness in hairstyles are like differences in sexiness between faces. Both can be attractive technically/geometrically, yet one look clearly is sexier than the other.
Pictures & Photos of Frankie Muniz - IMDb
Henry Cavill - IMDb

I'd say bangs are overdone because of the style leaders who (thanks to face, makeup, etc.) can do it with hardly a dent in their sex appeal.
You know that not every change a woman makes to her appearance is meant to maximize sex appeal, right?

Old 10-05-2013, 11:41 AM

Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty