Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 12:14 PM

628 posts, read 1,389,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
What the heck is the purpose for the Dr Seuss like tufts on my Big Toe and few strays on a other toes? Or the Junior High industrial Arts teacher we called 'hairy knuckles' whose back of hands were so hairy we joked he should braid the hair. The errant nose, ear, or unibrow hairs? Always get a chuckle when you come across an old man with the few very noticeable hairs in odd places. Once in college when I commuted by bus, there was an old man who had ear hairs on the rim of his ear like tufts - it reminded me of the werewolf.
Well I studied Human fur a little bit and apparently fur in Humans is used sort of like "wind-shield-wipers" that help sweat evaporate from the body.~ Human fur can also function much like a Cat's or a Dog's whiskers to help with touch and sensory detection.~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Interesting idea. I think I see where you are going here. As someone who has cut family and friends hair I'm always amazed at the variance in patterns (colicks, nap, or wave like elements to some hair and how some people have the v for victory pattern on neck versus say the double twister like the pattern of the roots of a tooth on the neck (as one example). Or, where hairlines begin above the forehead, straight across, or the forward 'V shaped prow' outline.

In particular, I find it funny where hair does grow on the human body and often wondered how much of it is influenced by the clothing styles or if in some instances climate, others genetic etc... Or the variety in balding patterns (front to back receding hairline, or the cranial dome starting pattern that spreads toward the front.

What the heck is the purpose for the Dr Seuss like tufts on my Big Toe and few strays on a other toes? Or the Junior High industrial Arts teacher we called 'hairy knuckles' whose back of hands were so hairy we joked he should braid the hair. The errant nose, ear, or unibrow hairs? Always get a chuckle when you come across an old man with the few very noticeable hairs in odd places. Once in college when I commuted by bus, there was an old man who had ear hairs on the rim of his ear like tufts - it reminded me of the werewolf.

It seems basic clothing patterns impact human 'fur'. This seems to occur where underwear garments are kept close and or rub the human skin. The upper arms around the deltoid muscle seem a barren spot for me. And I suspect many men have the ubiquitous no hair (or very limited hairs) growing where they consistently wear socks. So what happened there? Do eskimos have much body hair since they are covered so frequently?

As for the facial - head - neck combination i.e. "The Mane" you refer to, it would be interesting to see what patterns appear if everyone went sans conventional grooming for a short period of time just to record the patterns. It would be funny to see if any humans would, say, have a reverse nap along their spine on their backs like a Rhodesian Ridgeback dog. One nephew has a double cowlick on his head that gives him a rooster like tuft on his cranial crown and his hair lays more like a golden Labrador.

Would all women in 'natural' state have an inverted triangle for the pubic region? Or are there variations? Hmm, inquiring minds want to know

How many men have completely hairy backs, versus, say, just two rear shoulder patch grips for women to place their hands?

Personally, I shave my facial hair most everyday with an occasional day or two of growth for the face to give my skin a break or to grow a goatee in cold months for a short time. I always get better shave when I let it grow out for a day or two.

As a man, I've never shaved my legs and the hair is soft and consistent above the 'sock line' . I'd be curious if women never shaved their legs, would they always have nice soft hair on their legs? While visually it would be a shock from the conditioning of seeing nice smooth legs on a female (me like, me like) would an unshaven all natural slightly hairy leg be that offensive if we saw them more often?

I don't have that strong of visceral aesthetic to say that humans look alien due to 'fur grooming', but I will say, I recall one kid in college who was a swimmer who shaved all over for purposes of less resistance looking alien to me since he was red haired and freckly which after shaving virtually all his body hair made him look alien: fair, light colored skin dotted with orangeish - brown freckles and no hair!
Thank you for that very detailed and very elaborate response!~ I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this subject fascinating!~ ^_^

Old 09-28-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Fur is not continuous growing. It will grow for a period of time and then stop growing. It also "sheds" during certain times of the year.

Hair is continuous growing and does not shed.

Poodles have hair. German Shepherds have fur.

I don't know what kind of people you hang around with, but the ones that I am acquainted with have hair.

As for your question, I think that people should allow their hair to be mostly natural. A little trim now and then for aesthetic purposes is fine, but this shaving business is stupid. I want a man to look like a man, not a 10 year old boy.

20yrsinBranson
Actually human fur or 'hair' grows for certain periods of time before it starts its' cycle all over again.~

"The three stages of hair growth are the anagen, catagen, and telogen phases. " ~ Human hair growth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-28-2013, 07:48 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
Men have hair in places other than eyebrows or on top of the head, get over it.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:08 PM

37,616 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
Um YES, IT IS!!~to me that is.~ What you probably meant to say is, "I don't think it is in my personal opinion."

You came off as trying to change my perspective instead of sharing your own.~
Yeah...which matched the statement that YOU made.

Dude. Get serious. Your post is absurd. You know there are tons of women that love a close-shaven face. Get over it.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yeah...which matched the statement that YOU made.

Dude. Get serious. Your post is absurd. You know there are tons of women that love a close-shaven face. Get over it.
I will get over your post, thank you for sharing your very rude opinion!~ ^_^ Bye bye!~

Old 09-28-2013, 10:34 PM

728 posts, read 1,899,917 times
I don't have any hair on my chest or arms due to my ethnicity although I do get myself waxed below the waist for hygienic reasons as well as personal reasons. While not every woman will like it my current girlfriend loves how clean and smooth it is and that is all that matters. Different strokes and all.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:04 PM

892 posts, read 1,500,161 times
Quote:
I'd be curious if women never shaved their legs, would they always have nice soft hair on their legs? While visually it would be a shock from the conditioning of seeing nice smooth legs on a female (me like, me like) would an unshaven all natural slightly hairy leg be that offensive if we saw them more often?

Many years ago I dated a gal that didn't shave anything, anywhere. Yes, including the underarms. Every one of my friends questioned it when they saw the hairy legs...was always the first question asked, lol.

At first, like many, yes I was a bit...shall we say, "weirded out" by it, and in fact wasn't aware of this little tidbit until several dates into our "relationship", as it was winter in Michigan, and she was always in long pants, sweaters, etc. By the time I found out, I was already well into the liking her part, so I decided to accept that part of her, and see where things went.

Eventually we got intimate, and that's were the true shock really came into play - it felt absolutely natural, like every other shaving female I had been with since was "alien", as the OP put it. So much so that the women I've been with since have never felt 100%....right. Yep, it was soft hair. Just as soft as the hair on her head. Plus, the old "but I didn't shave today" excuse NEVER came into play

She's the only gal I've been with that didn't shave, so I don't have anything else to compare it to though, thus I don't know if it would be the case for most women or not.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:19 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
I am clean shaven from the neck up and I like it that way. I like my face, the way I look, and a beard would only cover it. More importantly, however, my beard tends to patchy and uneven - I could not grow a full and symmetrical beard if I tried.

When I think of handsome men I think of all those movie stars of the '40's, '50's, '60's - guys like William Holden, Gary Cooper, Tony Curtis, Cary Grant, Rock Hudson, Tab Hunter, Dean Martin, Paul Newman and even more recent actors like Richard Gere, Alec Baldwin, and Zac Efron ... are clean shaven. What famous men wear beards? Dom Deluise? Willy Nelson? Luciano Pavarotti?

On the issue of hair below the neck, I am in agreement with you. A man with a hairless body looks weird and disturbing to me. Like a pre-pubescent boy. I myself would never - ever - engage in the custom now called "manscaping." Many of the movie stars I named above were quite hairy. Sometimes movie directors and producers made the actors shave or wax their chests like William Holden in "Picnic." Other actors were famous for their hirsuteness like the husky-voiced handsome blond actor Aldo Ray who possessed an incredibly hairy chest.

As I transitioned into middle age I had to pay close attention to nose hair, ear hair, bushy eyebrows, etc. because I like to look well groomed. It's just my personal opinion of course.

There is a whole community called "Bears" that celebrate beards, facial hair, stocky hirsute bodies, in the LGBT community. They celebrate masculinity, and part of that subculture includes things like motorcycles, leather, levis and so on.

The bottom line: it's just personal preference. That's all.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:01 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,043 times
I am not hairy at all. I barely have any hair under my arms, or on my arms. My legs do get hairy, but chest, arms and pits hair is practically non existent. I do keep things trimmed so that it doesn't get out of control, and also I am an avid swimmer - but hey to each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty