Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 06:10 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,721,760 times

Advertisements

I bought a new box of perfume 2 weeks ago- it's the same perfume I have bought for the past 5 years. I know what it's supposed to smell like and how long it typically lasts (and so does my family and coworkers).

So yesterday and today was the first day that I actually used the perfume. I sprayed it in my usual spots and the usual amount, only 10 minutes later I cannot recognize it. In fact, my family asked me why I didn't wear perfume today and yesterday- NO ONE can smell it!

Is there any chance that I just got a bad bottle? I bought it a larger department store and have opened and used it for the past 2 days- do you think they will let me return it?

Is there anyway I could look for an expiration date on a perfume?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 06:12 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,202,674 times
Most department stores will return it if you haven't used a lot. Worth a try.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:36 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,127 times
Yes, get it exchanged.

If the new one smells "off" too, it could be that it's been reformulated. Reformulations have ruined many a great perfume.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Agree. I've had the experience of a scent changing and not for the better. Return it. Buy a fun new scent.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:52 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,280 times
If there was no scent at all, it probably expired. While there isn't an "expiration date" on perfume bottles, it does lose its scent after a while.

I would bring it back, explain the problem and exchange it. If you still have the "no scent" problem, the company has probably changed their formula and you should contact them directly.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:50 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,069,126 times
Yep I had a fave from victoria secret and they reformulated it and now it is just awful smelling . Yes alot of the perfumes have been reformulated and as a result they are now ruined for me at least anyways .

Old 10-04-2013, 04:05 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,999,500 times
Exchange it for another bottle. If you get the same undesirable results, either your body chemistry has changed or they "watered down" the scent. Maybe the word "reformulated" is a deceptive word for "watered down".

Old 10-04-2013, 09:42 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,211,599 times
My friend works for a fragrance counter in one of the large department stores. She says yes perfume does go stale. It could be a bottle that is old and got shipped or left in the back of shelves for years. She also said when those perfumes are a year or older the supplier sells them to the perfume kiosks or drugstores.

Do return it and see if the next bottle is the same. They might have an old batch and would appreciate knowing it. They would alert the suppliers.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:29 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
I'd definitely return it, but beware: many perfumes have undergone the dreaded "reformulation." Be prepared, too, for the excuses about how your body chemistry has changed (even if you spray it on a card), and how your sense of smell changes (even if it hasn't changed for anything else). Then do your research, and you'll learn that, yes, your favorite fragrance has been reformulated.

I love fragrances but have drastically simplified these beauty routines, and I use only one in the summer and a couple in the winter. One for the winter, Opium, has definitely been reformulated. I checked it out last year, and almost gagged. Thankfully, I still have about one-third of the 6.6oz body lotion left from at least 1988 (I'm associating the perfume with something from that year) and, no, it hasn't gone stale. I've always used it as a sachet, so that's why it's lasted. When people ask about it, they're disappointed to learn about the reformulation, and I'm disappointed to tell them. Other once-great "blasts from the past" which have suffered reformulation are Estee Lauder's Private Collection and Chanel No. 5. Yuck.

The fragrance industry has bastardized many of our most cherished perfumes.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:22 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,721,760 times
Well I went back to the store today and they kind of acted like I was crazy, like they've never heard of a perfume not smelling. They did exchange my bottle for another... However this new bottle doesn't last either

Could they really have changed a perfume that's been around for years? This is frustrating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty