Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 12:03 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
I've seen them before many times, try Coach if you don't mind spending a bit. They have lots of mens items including bags, tech items wallets, key cases, business card cases, and other items. If you have a Coach mens factory store close to you i'd go there. They also post the Coach factory for men online when they do sales (which is all the time unless the site is down for updates). If you don't live anywhere near Coach or the factory stores shop online! Great quality as well for both the boutique items and the factory items, and you can some times find boutique items in the factory store!

Here is a link to the mens section of coach.com, the bag part specifically.
Browse New Arrivals in Leather Bags For Men at Coach.com
::::sigh:::: A purse by any other name...

If a man has to carry anything it should be a briefcase, laptop case, map case or courier bag, the latter two in canvas. Anything else is a purse!

Alternative: Stop wearing tight pants so you have some room in your pockets!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 12:07 PM

455 posts, read 598,356 times
Mr. Tribbiani had one

Old 10-08-2013, 12:26 PM

747 posts, read 1,682,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post

If a man has to carry anything it should be a briefcase, laptop case, map case or courier bag, the latter two in canvas. Anything else is a purse!

All of those things listed are things Coach carries. Granted all the items are leather, but that's okay. I'm a girl so I don't have a dog in this fight, just trying to suggest something for the OP who feels the need for a bag. My husband just uses his pockets or whatever don't work for his pockets I stuff in my handbags when we go out together. They make these bags so some men must use them, I just never see them.

Old 10-08-2013, 12:32 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I do not see the reason to carry so much stuff, it is like everyone is going on a three day hike to go down the block to the store or something.

When I did have a lot to carry, I threw it in a backpack, problem solved.

Disclaimer: do what you like, should not be so concerned about what others think, at least in regards to this topic, it is just a bag, purse, whatever it is called.

My opinion: I think those bags are goofy looking, look ok I guess if someone is actually using for a purpose like work, but just carrying your junk around like a teen girl, I find ridiculous looking and really feminine. But I truly do not care, I have a good friend that uses one, he is not American though.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:36 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post

your kidding, right?

a man only has but so many pockets. duh !!!

who cares what you call it.

there are times when you need something to hold all your stuff.

we have way too many hangups here for what men can and cannot do, or wear, or have.
we really need to get over it already.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:28 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I do not see the reason to carry so much stuff, it is like everyone is going on a three day hike to go down the block to the store or something.

When I did have a lot to carry, I threw it in a backpack, problem solved.

Disclaimer: do what you like, should not be so concerned about what others think, at least in regards to this topic, it is just a bag, purse, whatever it is called.

My opinion: I think those bags are goofy looking, look ok I guess if someone is actually using for a purpose like work, but just carrying your junk around like a teen girl, I find ridiculous looking and really feminine. But I truly do not care, I have a good friend that uses one, he is not American though.
(Chuckle): will agree with last paragraph. And there is more to it.

Men can't carry man-purses in the U.S., it's just effete. That is the social convention, and has been as long as I've been alive and to far before my great-grandfather's day off the boat from Ireland.

Hate the game, not the playa.

In my free time, I carry a cell phone literally in my hand, CC billfold from Saddleback in a front pocket (small), and a couple personal protection items that are also very small. Nothing more is needed, unless the car keys must be with me (occasionally).

Going somewhere related to work, a beach, or similar, Saddleback Leather products are indeed exquisite man-bags.

These are the ONLY accessory I am complemented on somewhat-regularly by strangers @work and traveling (couple times per year, on-average). Oddly too, the complementor is usually another guy: rare indeed, we usually don't remark on such stuff among ourselves. They are top-quality, at equally high prices, though not crazy-expensive and also highly rugged and functional.

For business: my Saddleback large brief, in the original dark tobacco color, carries the following: laptop (16") w/foam protective case (not needed, but doesn't hurt for shock absorption). Brush, badges, small CC wallet, couple small to medium cash purses w/computer adapters, couple pens, earplugs, clips, that's about it. Also can carry a laptop power supply, though I've added enough around my work areas that I usually don't need to.

They look masculine, with a detachable shoulder strap. I've hauled it across three continents, though frankly a wheeled tote is the smarter move in airports: watch what pilots and other air crew use! The movie "Up in the Air" with George Clooney made a gag out of this, too, though there was quite a bit of truth to it.

Point is the Saddleback looks cool, in addition to being functional. At my age, I've observed: backpacks are for weekend outings in the forest, college kids, bohemians, and IT worker-bees (technical dorks). Briefcases: investment bankers. Something in-between, non-placarded with "Kenneth Cole", corporate logos, or similar vulgarity: modern managers concerned with both style AND substance.

I have a medium black computer case also from Saddleback as a car-bag. Holds some self-protection items, all cased, and a few other emergency items. Can be carried, as a smaller briefcase, too (in conjunction with rolling tote, see earlier paragraph) or taken into/out of the trunk.

Both have clips for keys, too, and can convert to backpacks with the straps configured just-so.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:49 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
your kidding, right?

a man only has but so many pockets. duh !!!

who cares what you call it.

there are times when you need something to hold all your stuff.

we have way too many hangups here for what men can and cannot do, or wear, or have.
we really need to get over it already.
Nope! Not kidding. Most have pockets enough to carry everything they need as I've already specified. Work is another matter and there are plenty of appropriate 'totes' that aren't purses.

Just how effeminate do you suggest men should be become? I think purses takes the so-called metrosexual to a whole other realm.

Long live the Retrosexual!

Old 10-09-2013, 01:55 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Carry less stuff.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:23 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,561 times
Quote:
He's definitely an alpha male, so there'd be no danger of it making him look effeminate, so I don't know why he (and other men) won't just do it.
Work on him I'm sure you know how to get your way
You know how we just throw out a supposedly innocent comment here or there, and/or whisper on the pillow at night.
I'm sure you could (eventually) bring him around How about gift him one. You could let him pick it out maybe? If you could get him over whatever his hesitancy is, he might see the benefit.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:23 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
I see more men carrying some form of bag these days. I myself will often carry a lumbar pack slung over my shoulder or some form of backpack or messenger bag to carry stuff. I don't like stuffing my pockets with smart phone, keys, wallet, etc. Most times I just leave these items in the car when I'm going places, but during times I have to do some walking I'll bring a bag of some sort.

Today there are a lot of options for more masculine looking packs, particularly from brands that market "tactical" lines of gear like Maxpedition, S.O. Tech, Condor etc. There's also the brands geared towards outdoors and students such as North Face, Osprey, and Timbuk2 which all have lot's of carrying options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty