Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 05:06 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times

Advertisements

great post Kawaii! and suzyq too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 06:00 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiivictim View Post
It's fashion, baby. It's stupid, but we love it.
Not all (or even many?) of us.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:05 PM

262 posts, read 546,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Not all (or even many?) of us.
Understandable.

I'm not into "high fashion" anymore, but I used to be. I had dreams of being an intern at Vogue, but then I realized I have no type of connections and interns don't get paid. All you get is experience with rich snobs, a trip to Galas, and some Burberry scarves.

I also realized that I am in the "working poor" category... Realistically, I wouldn't be able to relate to the "high fashion" people's life style.... unless they're "new money". I'd be so out of place. Realistically, I belong with my Coach bag wearing people of Wal-Mart.

Someone hug me....

Old 10-20-2013, 06:07 PM

324 posts, read 655,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiivictim View Post
Understandable.

I'm not into "high fashion" anymore, but I used to be. I had dreams of being an intern at Vogue, but then I realized I have no type of connections and interns don't get paid. All you get is experience with rich snobs, a trip to Galas, and some Burberry scarves.

I also realized that I am in the "working poor" category... Realistically, I wouldn't be able to relate to the "high fashion" people's life style.... unless they're "new money". I'd be so out of place. Realistically, I belong with my Coach bag wearing people of Wal-Mart.

Someone hug me....

If P'trique can get a job at the platform, I am sure you could too.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:08 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
A purse is something for you to keep your thing in, but a lot of women see having a designer bag as a status symbol. Someone who would not carry certain labels because they see "ghetto" folks carrying them is obnoxious and shallow. Someone who would get rid of their expensive bags because their friend tells them to because of image is definitely immature and a follower. What is this, high school?!

When we were teens, my sis was obsessed with carrying designer bags and she got a job just so she could buy them. At 16 and 17 year old she had Coach and LV purses. In high school, she joined a sorority of sorts that was called the "JC's," which stood for "Just Conceit." You could not be a part of this group if you did not wear the latest designer fashions and in order to be accepted in, you had to own at least two designer handbags. I thought this was the most ridiculous thing I had ever heard! But back then, I wasn't much of a follower, I didn't care about being popular or having designer things. I didn't want to befriend people who only cared about the way I dressed or what material things I had. I still feel that way now.

I've only owned one Coach bag in my life (a mini duffle) that I bought years ago. I rarely carried it and it just sits on a shelf in my closet. I buy all my bags from Ross, TJ Maxx or Marshall's. I don't care about label as much as I care about quality I like the classic Coach bags because they are real leather. Other than that, I could care less.

Someone this preoccupied with handbags needs to get a serious clue.
Seriously. I had to skip over a lot of this thread because, frankly, I just don't care. I don't understand how someone can get worked up over a purse.

I have a cousin like this, very status conscious, loooves to shop for hours, everything must have some type of designer label . . . and shallow as they come. She's in her mid-fifties now and nothing has changed since high school.

I really don't get it. I do understand the need to dress well; I work in corporate America myself. But, beyond that, actually caring about what label my purse has?

Women that are raising a family and busy trying to further themselves in their careers . . . perhaps helping their elderly parents or volunteering in other ways - simply do not have time for this silliness.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:08 PM

262 posts, read 546,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
great post Kawaii! and suzyq too!

Don't thank me.

Thank the Couture Gods....

Old 10-20-2013, 06:28 PM

324 posts, read 655,218 times
This has been a great thread, some good discussion but losing steam.

Shoes i s a much better topic.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:29 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
I guess my 60ish year old mother is "ghetto", as she shops at J Crew and happens to own a vintage Coach bag.

I like Coach bags, but they don't seem to last very well. If I spend a lot on a bag, it better last a decade. I could care less what other people wear or own. If I like something and I can buy it, I will. No big deal.

Anyone who tries too hard and worries so much, has not "arrived". Some of the classiest and wealthiest people I know have not bought a new bag in years. They do buy nice things, but they expect quality and for things to last.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:32 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,320,851 times
After reading this post (per nausem) I'm so thankful that my wife is not a slave to the latest "hotness" and would rather take any extra money that we get an invest it rather then buy some over priced accessories that will be out of style the following year which leads to this

Old 10-20-2013, 07:23 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,045 times
Ugh why are purse brands such a hot topic? Hot as in hot-tempered. Why do people care so much or get all fired up about it? Very weird - interesting.

I never liked Coach. I was a military wife and it was like, the military wife hand-bag. I think they are too big and gawdy looking, really. I am so picky about purses though. Most are too big I think.

I am picky as hell about the color, size and shape of my handbag. I am frugal too. But it has to be perfect in size and shape and color, and fit just under my armpit. Can't have many pockets - prefer just one main pocket. I won't spend more than $30 either. So if I find something that meets all my criteria, then I go for it. My fave was a $25 from a store called Belk. I get a purse and use it till it craps out. Man I loved that Belk purse. Man I can still feel it (OK I'm a dork I know) It was the best purse ever then it crapped out. I still haven't found one as good, and that was like 8 years ago.

Someone bought me a Dooney, so hey you can't beat free. It was tiny, just a touch too small but cute and had a duck symbol and I have a thing for ducks, since I was 3 years old, so I was all on that. It was the best purse since the Belk.

Then a few months ago, I told someone I liked their purse, it was a Dooney too but I didn't care. I just haven't seen a purse that meets my acceptable requirements that well in forever. So she has a drawer full of purses (family member) and just gave me this Dooney. I didn't expect that - that was SO nice of her. It's really good and durable and almost perfect, I just enjoy it. I pick a purse for looks and price alone - shape, etc. NOT brand. I'd never pick based on a brand.

But I'd kill for another one of those Belks. I have spent hours searching for one like it. I do not think there is one in existance. Oh well. That being said, if I saw a Coach for $25 and it looked JUST like that Belk, then yeah I'd buy it although I really dislike Coach (it'll never happen though)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty