Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 05:01 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,956,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have always had very healthy good nails. Almost a year ago, I painted my kitchen and used my left thumbnail a lot to scratch little drips on paint off my quartz counter. I split the tip of my thumbnail doing this, and now it is still splitting. I have tried all kinds of Hard as Nails type stuff, so that is why I know it does not work. The nail still appears very healthy otherwise, but even when I keep it cut short, it still splits.

I talked to the nice Vietnamese lady who is at the salon where I get Pedi's, and she said I can try an acrylic nail on the thumb and maybe that will hold it firm enough for long enough so that it will stop splitting.

I don't know if this would help you or not, since I know that acrylics in general weaken the nail underneath.

Thanks! Reason I stopped with falsies is because they damaged my own nails. Thats why I wanted to go natural. But maintaining real polish & nails is a beast. I will try a new brand of soak off polish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 08:40 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
I have terrible nailes as well, they rarely reach the end of my fingertips before splitting. or cracking, or catching on something and ripping.... I am trying biotin and it seems to be working a bit. I suspect they will never be great though.

For special occasions, I have used the kiss brand glue on nails where they cover the whole nail. They look awesome and the glue holds great for me... IF you follow directions correctly and clean your nails with remover really well before applying. They only last a week though then you have to remove them, otherwise your nails would be pretty trashed underneath. They remove fairly easily too and did not seem to ruin the nails underneath. I recommend for the occasional use.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:18 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,258,007 times
I am also an advocate for diet, not using polish, etc for awhile.
My diet isn't the best, but I get vitamins, minerals, etc. I drink lots of water. But I have very hard, long, tough, thick nails. They grow FAST. I can't keep up with them. They are always long, they don't break until they get really long, I forget to cut them and eventually they are so long one chips. I have never put anything on them - I also really don't ever paint them or put anything on them, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty