Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:45 AM

324 posts, read 655,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Dear Kitten01,
It sounds like you are a woman with confidence, a great sense of self and style, and a good sense of humor to top it off! Very cool!! Your husband and children are lucky to have you as part of their lives. The self proclaimed judges here sound very petty and extremely jealous.

People disagree about various things, doesn't make them jealous, petty, ignorant, stupid, uninformed etc...

People do have their own opinions. get over it.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:55 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Dear Kitten01,
It sounds like you are a woman with confidence, a great sense of self and style, and a good sense of humor to top it off! Very cool!! Your husband and children are lucky to have you as part of their lives. The self proclaimed judges here sound very petty and extremely jealous.
I agree. You look great!

I think people mistook your first post, as your "short" skirts and shorts are really not that short. I know what you are talking about. I am in my late 30's and my husband still likes me to look sexy. Not hootchie mama sexy, but skirts 1-2 above my knees and a 2 piece bathing suit etc...

I tend to dress in clothes that are not baggy, but tailored to my body.(Not skin tight) I also wear makeup and fix my hair most days. I have also gotten the look from some other SAHMs. They are in baggy sweats, large XXL baggy t-shirts, and hoodies. It's like they hit 35 and quit trying to look nice.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:07 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
How much?

About 3000% more than I care.

As long as my clothes are clean, pressed, and sans holes, I do not give a flip.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:16 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post

I tend to dress in clothes that are not baggy, but tailored to my body.(Not skin tight) I also wear makeup and fix my hair most days. I have also gotten the look from some other SAHMs. They are in baggy sweats, large XXL baggy t-shirts, and hoodies. It's like they hit 35 and quit trying to look nice.
I am one of those moms (not SAHM, though - my spouse does that now) who on a day off will be in jeans and a t shirt or yoga pants and a college sweatshirt.

I don't think anything bad about the other ladies who are dressed up, etc. In fact, I am usually so lost in my own world, I barely notice what anyone else is wearing (which might be why I could give a crap about what I wear). If you want to look nice (and looking nice does make people feel better! - that was shown in studies), then, girl...power to you! I think that is great! And I bet your hubbie loves it!

I just have never given two flips about fashion, my skin won't tolerate make-up, but I do my hair and wear clean, presentable clothing before I go shopping, etc. What's much more likely to catch my attention isn't the gorgeous clothes someone is wearing but the look on their face, their friendliness, etc. That's what I notice about people. The demeanor.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:15 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,208 times
People will judge you no matter what you wear, so wear what you want and don't worry about it.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:59 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Quite a bit. I know a professional woman, who people really make fun of because of how she looks. She needs that show, "What Not to Wear" more than anyone I know. She is extremely intelligent, but I believe her professional career has been affected by the fact she wears SAS tie shoes, polyester pants, and long tunic shirts to work every day.

I try to just wear scrubs every day, but even those can be "judged". I don't wear silly Disney prints, or loud prints. I wear conservative black ones, with contrasting trim.

Please dont' judge someone by their footwear. I have severe RA, which has caused extensive damage to my feet. I have had multiple reconstructive surgeries to both feet, including ankle fusions. The only thing I can wear is SAS shoes, some styles of New Balance, and some Easy Spirit. One foot is one size smaller than the other, so I have to buy two of the same pair. Obviously, my choice of clothes is limited by the type of shoe I can wear. How I wish I could wear pretty shoes, but its simply not possible, I'm lucky to have something I can walk in.

I finally found that buying those ugly, orthopedic-type shoes works better. Its like I've "come out". I'm not wearing a certain style because I'm dowdy, have no fahsion sense, etc, I wear these shoes because my feet are deformed. that's all I can do......please don't judge one's attire unless/until one knows the reasons behind the choices.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:33 AM

382 posts, read 804,180 times
If you're good looking it doesn't matter what you wear. You will look good regardless.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:41 AM

720 posts, read 765,936 times
One thing this thread proves for sure, people don't even have to SEE you to judge you!

Old 10-22-2013, 09:40 AM

706 posts, read 1,179,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
my kids are in Cherry Creek HS zone, not the dist. Don't be fooled it's not the same. Realtors tell people that to sell houses. We actually live in DTC lots of families live here.

By the way Cherry creek school dist is not in Parker you are SE Aurora.
I'm aware that CC school district does not serve Parker. Parker is under the Douglas County district, which is still superior to DPS district. Most people who choose to live in the suburbs do so because they are drawn to better schools like those in the CC district, Douglas County and others. From what I've heard, even Aurora Public schools (which are also awful) are better.

Fact remains that your assertion that business professionals don't live in the suburbs is still false.

Old 10-22-2013, 11:41 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
We dress to fit in with our tribe . . . our clothes tell a story about us. The story is not dependent on "labels" but rather -- the types of things we choose and how we put them together.

Of course, there is a tribe that is hung up on labels, but that is their thing . . . and they all salute one another by admiring each other's latest acquisitions.

Most tribes, however, base their clothing on function or an understanding about what is and isn't acceptable amongst the members of the tribe.

For example, artsy folks tend to dress in more bohemian styles than other groups. There are the Country Western types . . . the Soccer Mom types . . . the Career Woman, the SAHMs, the Country Club Golf and Tennis type, the Outdoorsy types, The Yoga/Guru Types, the Fashionistas, the Geeks . . . Each group has its standards. Each group may have particular stores they frequent or items of attire that "signal" their membership in their group.

In the sense that we pick up clues as to what "type" someone is . . . then yes, we judge others -- and are judged by others, even subconsicously.

However, few people spend a lot of time paying attention to what others are wearing. As long as someone is neat and put together well . . . most of the time, we are all so focused on taking care of our own lives and tasks and families and careers . . . the average person isn't really "inspecting" what others have chosen to don, unless it is something horrific (i.e. those gross pictures of Wal-Mart patrons, lololol).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty