Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 02:34 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,526 times

Advertisements

I think what's with them is the same with any "in" style. It brings out all the lemmings who think it makes then trendy when in fact, unless you have a very weak chin to hide, it makes you look conformist and just like all the others.

But better a beard than the scruffy, unclean look favored by the Hollywood followers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 03:20 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
I stopped shaving in 1969, so I guess my question is why did all those other guys take so long to catch on.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:44 PM

147 posts, read 327,842 times
Duck Dynasty.....

Old 10-22-2013, 03:44 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
I'll admit that I would hate to be married to someone that had an ill kept beard, but I'll also admit, that if I were a man, that daily shave would not be for me. I am sure that I would probably have a scruffy looking beard!

Old 10-22-2013, 03:57 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Ok. Whats with the beards? Seems almost every guy in this area is trying to grow a beard now. I hate beards. Unless a person is a burly lumberjack type, or, a military type who was spec ops or something, then a beard just looks dirty and lazy.

Im sure there is some music or pop culture thing driving this trend, like most trends.

But seeing a man with a little beer gut, but with scrawny arms and no muscles, trying to sport a beard- just looks silly. If you work behind a desk, you dont need a beard. It looks silly. If you are working 14 hours a day chopping down trees, or weeks at sea on a shrimp boat, or are deployed with the military in a war zone- sure, beards are very understandable.

Otherwise it looks dirty, lazy, and an obvious attempt to try to look trendy and cool. Shave it. Just my two cents.
I agree. I never liked beards. Watching the NBA, I look at a lunatic-looking guy like James Harden and wonder what the hell is his problem. He looks like a crazed Unabomber working for the Taliban. Just an unsightly, ugly character. There is that gorilla-looking fighter Kimbo Slice. Repulsive. LeBron James. Lumberjack look. Tyson Chandler. Looks like a Lumberjack on the court. That stupid-looking beard he sports doesn't make him look any more dignified with his lousy play, just look like a follower and a conformist. Another is Chuck Todd. He doesn't look professional with his beard, but like a redneck who sleeps in his clothes and lives in a van down by the river.

The typical guy wearing a beard looks like a loser. It is very rare that a guy can pull this look off. Just an ugly trend like tattoos IMO.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:38 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,860,170 times
I can't grow one as my beard is not that thick. I have never had sideburns , something that bothered me in the '70s as well as now. So, I have never tried to grow beard. It would look laughable. Also, probably itch. I tried a mustache and it was funny looking.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:33 AM

513 posts, read 737,162 times
I was wondering just this very thing over the past weekend--I was in a store and a middle-aged man had a beard to his chest, a shaved head, and wearing cargo pants with a T-shirt. When did this become fashionable/trendy/cool!?

Old 10-23-2013, 11:47 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
I was wondering just this very thing over the past weekend--I was in a store and a middle-aged man had a beard to his chest, a shaved head, and wearing cargo pants with a T-shirt. When did this become fashionable/trendy/cool!?

it isn't

Old 10-23-2013, 12:04 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
I have had a close crop dark beard for 5 years now, shaved head and yeah baby, Papa has it going on !!!

beards rock !!!

Old 10-24-2013, 11:36 AM

830 posts, read 1,666,503 times
I have only met two men IRL who look good with a beard.

I'm wondering where this "beards everywhere" trend came from too. If you're the "Duck Dynasty" type, it's one thing, but the scruffy "meh don't feel like shaving look" is another. Just one more way in which I am out of touch with my generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty