Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 04:46 AM

262 posts, read 546,948 times

Advertisements

This based on personal experiences and my own theory.

The only place being thin matters is in Hollywood. Trust me, I'm skinny as a rail and outside the Hollywood standards, all I get is backlash. In the "real world", it isn't cool to be thin.

It especially isn't cool to be black and thin.

If you don't plan on building a career in the industry, then there is no point in being thin.

For whatever reason being thin correlates with being vain, stuck up, or "b*tchy".

Ever since the age 11, I have experienced nothing but hostility from men and women for my (lack of) weight.

Being thin makes others feel insecure. I'm starting to feel that women like to have friends around the same weight/looks range, and usually don't like having friends that weigh significantly less than them. Even my own mother told me how skinny I was made her jealous.

Whenever I'm with a group of girls they feel they need to remind me how skinny I am and poke and prod me.... o_O; "Ermahagawd, soo skinny.... you are so skinny *poke* you prolly have small intestines."

I think (some) people put more emphases on bodies than faces because bodies are easier to change. Face changes involve thousands of dollars in plastic surgery, that MIGHT not even make you better looking. *shrug*

Being curvy/average weight and proud = "You go girl! BODY POSITIVE!"

Being skinny/below average weight and proud = "You think you're hot? You're a conceited anorexic ******!"

And when you're skinny and decide gain weight, you'll just be constantly reminded of skinny you used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 05:19 AM

706 posts, read 1,180,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiivictim View Post
This based on personal experiences and my own theory.

The only place being thin matters is in Hollywood. Trust me, I'm skinny as a rail and outside the Hollywood standards, all I get is backlash. In the "real world", it isn't cool to be thin.

It especially isn't cool to be black and thin.

If you don't plan on building a career in the industry, then there is no point in being thin.

For whatever reason being thin correlates with being vain, stuck up, or "b*tchy".

Ever since the age 11, I have experienced nothing but hostility from men and women for my (lack of) weight.

Being thin makes others feel insecure. I'm starting to feel that women like to have friends around the same weight/looks range, and usually don't like having friends that weigh significantly less than them. Even my own mother told me how skinny I was made her jealous.

Whenever I'm with a group of girls they feel they need to remind me how skinny I am and poke and prod me.... o_O; "Ermahagawd, soo skinny.... you are so skinny *poke* you prolly have small intestines."

I think (some) people put more emphases on bodies than faces because bodies are easier to change. Face changes involve thousands of dollars in plastic surgery, that MIGHT not even make you better looking. *shrug*

Being curvy/average weight and proud = "You go girl! BODY POSITIVE!"

Being skinny/below average weight and proud = "You think you're hot? You're a conceited anorexic ******!"

And when you're skinny and decide gain weight, you'll just be constantly reminded of skinny you used to be.
I used to be very thin in high school and through college. I was teased relentlessly over it, so I understand. Then it made me feel bad, but as I got older and had kids, I was actually grateful that I was so thin before. It gave me some room to gain weight without being disgustingly fat while pregnant. It also made it easier to get fit after my kids were born.

I personally think it's better to be thin (not anorexic mind you) than to be overweight. But if it bothers you that much, try gaining a bit of weight by increasing your calories and weight training.

I wouldn't worry about other people chastising you for being thin. Most people in this country are overweight/obese. Misery loves company.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:26 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I could not agree more with what kitten said she is right on the money in my opinion . Im 52 yrs old and have a rock hard body and I still get crap from my family mainly sil and brothers about how I think I must be hot and stuff ...Yeah my own family !!! but yet my freinds have been highly supportive . My husband loves me either way . I was a chubby little kid with no self esteem and my mother did not help by calling me piggo and slob and a few other choice names so as I got older I started getting fit and now I feel better about myself and i actually have some self esteem .

Old 10-26-2013, 06:37 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
we have a name for a thin woman in Maine- a "tourist"

the weight & girth charts are different up here...cold climate mass, and all

seriously, if someone is dissing you for being thin,,,,its part jealousy, plain and simple...

just like trying to find anything to diss a beautiful woman...... ironically, ive found women to be very catty in this sense

its also something you wont get much sympathy for- many overweight people, have very low self images, and because you are thin,,,,they assume everything in your life is peachy..
like how many people view rich people,,,,, doesnt matter if they work day and night, or went thru 12 yrs of college- theirs a certain disdain for achievement/accomplishment....its usually mirrored in their own low motivation or self image, but you wont hear that

hold your head high- be proud of who/what you are- if someone has a problem with it- ITS THEIR PROBLEM, NOT YOURS

Old 10-26-2013, 08:22 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
More African American's should see East Africans if they want to see skinny black people.

http://www.africa-expert.com/wp-cont...rs-dancing.jpg

And no they're not malnourished it's their natural body shape.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:04 PM

559 posts, read 1,395,021 times
That's the one disadvantage to being slender. The tiresome out-of-the-blue spiteful comments and petty rhetorical questions from people about your size. Thin people are that way either because they can't help it or because they work hard at exercising and eating healthy. Either way there's no point in being petty or getting upset with someone for being thin.

I like genuine comments and I'm happy to answer genuine questions from people who want to know about my exercise routine or what I eat. Otherwise you can tell when someone is just trying to make you feel bad or when they're saying something with resentment or bitterness.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:21 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,410,406 times
no pics

are we talking anorexic looking? olive oyl?

Old 10-27-2013, 03:25 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,323,083 times
I think being normal-sized is better. I'm a fatty now because I let people's words get to me and allowed food to be my BFF. I was a size 8/10. I was confident. I could buy clothes without trying them on.

Now, I'm huge. I can't move as quickly. I can't walk up the stairs.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:13 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
I know this advice may be easier said than done but it really does apply to all of us regardless of what our 'shameful, beaten up self" is from or about. When my beautiful little children would come home from school, sometimes tearful about what another child had said to them about one thing or another I used to tell them that nobody is perfect, nobody. What one may see as a blemish or ugly another may see as unique and beautiful. But what matters most is how we see ourselves.

My experience has been that the taunts and name calling really say more about the person who is doing the taunting/name calling than the subject of their insults. Women who I thought were beautiful (inside and out, by the way) and who I thought 'had it all' actually had experiences similar to yours, there seemes to always be someone out there trying to take away their joy or make them feel bad about themselves. We have to learn to acknowledge our own beauty and self worth and disregard the petty jealousies of others and should instead feel sad for them for having to stoop so low in taking away our joy and thunder.

Learn to love exactly who you are and more difficult perhaps, learn to ignore the negative people.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:16 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Hmmm. Most of my friends are smaller than I. Half are skinny. Not an issue from where I sit even though I am not skinny.

But I will concede that being black and skinny can be different. Depending on your environment. There can be a bit of pressure to make sure you have junk I the trunk. No matter what size you are.

My mom was a Skinnie Minnie, although my sister and I are not. She was and still is self conscious about it in some ways. She thinks her legs are too skinny to wear things that are "short"

On an autocorrecting iDevice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty