Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 09:25 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,009 times

Advertisements

Love long hair, but mid back is the longest it's ever been. I've always been so busy that medium length is much easier to keep. If I were rich and idle like The Housewives, I'd go for the high maintenance, trips to the hairdresser, coloring, etc.

I saw a guy in the store last week, he had hair almost to his waist. It reminded me of an old boyfriend who had waist length hair. Beautiful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 03:59 PM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
I had a bad experience with short hair for a little while around (of course) the already awkward pubescent years and since then, I have not wanted it anything like short. The only times I've ever had it cut, is when I dyed it and eventually it was growing out, and the dye damaged the hair, so I had dead and off-color ends that had to go. I don't even get mine trimmed. Right now, the longest bits are at belt-level. But my hair is thick, course, and has natural wave, but not quite curl. It does get dry or frizzy if I let it, so I use conditioners to keep it in check, and it works fine. Also, no heat, my hair hates heat. No curlers or blow drying ever.

I find that for years now (I am 38 years old) my hair does not get any longer. It breaks or sheds enough that it stays at a consistent length. I won't use any sort of dye except maybe henna, and even that is rare. I'm beginning to get silver strands in the dark brown, and I don't mind. They are sparkly, like a sort of natural tinsel. Sometimes I braid it, but I don't style it any other way.

People usually compliment me for one of two things: My hair, or my glasses. I remember someone asking me how I managed to get such long hair, which I thought was an odd question, and so I beckoned them closer, and said, "You want to know the secret? I'll tell you... Just don't have it cut."

Old 01-17-2018, 10:10 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
I've always had long hair, but don't need or want it THAT long. I keep my ends trimmed, so it looks healthy and thick! Keeping the ends trimmed allows it to grow longer, too...mitigates the breakage!

Old 01-17-2018, 10:29 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
OP, there's a woman in my town who has knee-length hair. At work, she wears it in a braid, so it's only waist-length, and stays out of her way. Occasionally on a day off, she'll show up at the grocery store with it loose. Pandemonium breaks out, lol! (I'm exaggerating, but still....there's an element of that.) Men fall all over each other, to talk to her, when she wears her hair down. She has trouble getting her shopping done, surrounded by a little cloud of guys floating around her.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:46 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
I HATE when my hair gets much beyond shoulder length. I hate the feeling when you lean back in a chair (or in the car) and your hair is pinned behind you. Same goes for sleeping. And if it gets too long, it just looks flat and lifeless. It always amazes me when I have 3-4+" cut off how much more body and movement my hair has!

Old 01-18-2018, 01:34 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
I used to have very long hair, down to my butt. I thought I loved it until I decided to cut it. Then I realized how much better it felt and looked when it was shorter.

That said, it's your hair, so wear it however you'd like. I will say that I don't know anyone who has cut off their very long hair and regretted it.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:38 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Shoulderblade level is my ideal length.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:35 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
In 100 years - my hair would never grow that long. Very pretty though.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:58 AM

3,067 posts, read 1,679,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlechoirlady View Post
I'm proud of my long hair. I was always given the choice of how I wanted my hair and I always had it long. 33 years and it's never been cut. Just trimmed. It's not common in my area to see hair like this and people recognize me from church because of my knee-length hair. It's not hard for me to take care of my hair; I've never known any different. I would probably have more trouble managing short hair than long hair.

So, any other ladies here who are long haired and proud of it?
Your hair is beautiful, and seems thicker than a lot of hair that long.

Longest mine got was over my butt, in my earlier-40's, and the shortest I ever had it was collar-length when I was in junior high. Problem with my own hair, though, is that it has no body and tangles very easily. Then I hit the "later years" and it thinned out a lot, so I started trimming it shorter. It's still down to my mid-back but it's due to get a few inches cut off.

I never braved short hair because I don't want to fool with a lot of products to make it tame, nor do I want perms. I still get a lot of compliments on my long hair although I know it isn't like it used to be. In the 80's people admired it all the time because everyone, it seemed, whacked theirs off. Short hair was big then and mine stood out.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:14 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,255,476 times
I had waist-length hair for several years. Now, I'm happy with the length being mid-back or a little above it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty