Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you started wearing gloves
Yes 12 54.55%
No 10 45.45%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 07:54 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
no, I'm still wearing shorts and short sleeves and beach dresses.
Lucky you. I am happy I did not have to wear gloves yesterday night, and do not need to today and tomorrow night. Up here, it warms up in the afternoon, but late night hours really chill you to the bone if you fail to wear gloves and I do need to walk around a lot at night. Even the most cold hardy people in my class switched over to jeans this week. Additionally, it gets dark so early now. It was only 5:10 PM yesterday, and the sky was already pitch black.

A good example of the wide variation is illustrated in Tomorrow's temperatures:

Hi:60 & Rainy
Lo:29, Cloudy & windy. Watch out for icy surfaces late at night .

Next Day:

Hi:49 & sunny
Lo:31 & windy

High Temps remain in the low-mid 50 from then on, and another cold front Next week tumbles highs into the lower 40's with snow overnight according to TWC. Gotta get salt and sharpen my shovel.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 11-06-2013 at 08:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 08:06 AM

671 posts, read 853,756 times
Yes! I am in Montreal (and Upstate New York) so it is a must at night already.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:04 PM

It's high time everybody starts stocking up gloves for next week. An arctic blast will bring freezing low temperatures as far south as Myrtle Beach, SC.

The northeast and upper Midwest are projected to get snow. Southwestern PA is expected to see the maximum accumulation from this system. For those who love the slopes, this weekend should be fun.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:19 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,021 times
Yes.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:35 AM

747 posts, read 1,681,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
It's high time everybody starts stocking up gloves for next week. An arctic blast will bring freezing low temperatures as far south as Myrtle Beach, SC.

The northeast and upper Midwest are projected to get snow. Southwestern PA is expected to see the maximum accumulation from this system. For those who love the slopes, this weekend should be fun.
I've already heard...it's depressing but thank goodness my 70s will be back in ten days. I still have not turned on my heat in the house yet. I was told by people who have lived here longer then myself that one can wear shorts and a short sleeve shirt on christmas around here and be comfortable...i'm curious about that. It's chilly here this morning in coastal SC, it's 39 but it's going to be up in the 60s today and 70 tomorrow.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
I've already heard...it's depressing but thank goodness my 70s will be back in ten days. I still have not turned on my heat in the house yet. It's chilly here this morning in coastal SC, it's 39 but it's going to be up in the 60s today and 70 tomorrow.
Hope you have a good jacket to combat the cold mornings. It was 32 F today morning, but afternoon temps are only in the lower 50s. That's typical for November. I turned the heat on a long time ago.

However, with the arctic blast barreling through, we should see lows around 20 F and highs may just scrape 40 F. Thankfully, no snow is forecasted. Only overcast skies with high wind.

Don't bet on those 70s and t shirt weather, because other weather sources state that you will be held in the upper 50s to low 60s with overcast skies and wind. I would advise you to turn on the heat sometime this month. I have never been to SC, but my buddies in Texas say they have never worn a t shirt on Christmas day. Usually, it's long sleeves and jeans weather down there on Christmas day, while we wear trench coats, jeans, thermals, mittens, snowshoes, and a New England Patriots hat .

Old 12-31-2013, 11:21 AM

Oh Dear.

Please Guys. I NEED INSTANT HELP dressing up for the next couple days.

Lows below 0 F are in forecast for our town, and highs may not break the mid teens. How should I dress up for the next few days. What layers should I wear. I have to go outside that day, so please tell me asap. This is a "once in a decade" event in central NJ and is possibly the coldest temperature I will experience.

I also have relatives visiting from Texas on that day. How should I instruct them to dress up. Keep in mind that they have never even heard about such brutal cold either. They shiver whenever it drops below the low 60's F (for highs).

Old 12-31-2013, 11:36 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
How long are you going to be out? If only for a short time, if you already have a decent winter coat and gloves, you should be alright. Wear a hat, though.

Your relatives will likely be ill-prepared.

For extended time outside, like in a goose blind where I'm stationary, in cold weather I wear polypropylene long johns, a chamois/flannel shirt, polypro socks, thinsulate boots, thinsulate pants and coat. Gloves will also be thinsulate. I also carry chemical foot and hand warmers in my blind bag.

Keep in mind that if you're heavily dressed and moving you'll sweat and then chill down when you stop moving.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
How long are you going to be out? If only for a short time, if you already have a decent winter coat and gloves, you should be alright. Wear a hat, though.

Your relatives will likely be ill-prepared.

For extended time outside, like in a goose blind where I'm stationary, in cold weather I wear polypropylene long johns, a chamois/flannel shirt, polypro socks, thinsulate boots, thinsulate pants and coat. Gloves will also be thinsulate. I also carry chemical foot and hand warmers in my blind bag.

Keep in mind that if you're heavily dressed and moving you'll sweat and then chill down when you stop moving.
I just hauled out 2 arctic suits I bought from the Himalayas rated for -53 F from the attic Just now. I am Safe and prepared now .

Old 12-31-2013, 11:47 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I just hauled out 2 arctic suits I bought from the Himalayas rated for -53 F from the attic Just now. I am Safe and prepared now .

And overdressed.

Can you put your arms down?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty