Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 07:17 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,685,779 times

Advertisements

This may sound gross, but mix 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar (organic) in a glass of water. You can add lemon juice to help with the taste. Have him drink it twice a day, and his skin should start clearing up in a week or so. My daughter found this "treatment" online so tried it, and it worked for her. I started doing it because even though I don't get bad zits, I was starting to get some out of nowhere. It really worked! You can google apple cider vinegar and acne and read for yourself what others say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 07:19 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softballfan View Post
Well my son is 14 and has finally entered the wonderful world of pimples. I really haven't dealt with acne for 20 years. So my question is: What is the latest, most effective treatment for teenage pimples? Is it still clearasil or Oxy? What works best for you or your teens? Thanks
I think today it is more common to see a dermatologist (even for the most mild acne). None of the things you can buy actually work.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:58 AM

863 posts, read 2,993,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I think today it is more common to see a dermatologist (even for the most mild acne). None of the things you can buy actually work.
While it may be more common, it may not be the best option financially for some and may not be the most prudent use of medical benefits as there ARE products out there that are helpful for some.

My sons acne wasn't as bad as some, but we did go a round with the generic version of Accutane; Clarivet sounds right, but I don't recall. Midway through treatment one product was pulled and we had to change to another. Though it can have has serious side effects and it was very expensive. Also it is not always covered by ins. It did clear it up very well. We were also told by the dr to use products like Clearasil with benzoil peroxide. (Just becareful with benzoil peroxide as it faces colors on clothing, towels and sheets.) The boys also liked the Oxy products. Washes and toners with salicylic or glycolic acid can also help. I use them all the time as I have oily skin and ocasional breakouts as an adult. The most effective OTC product I've found by far is the mask with sulfur from the product promoted on TV and in mall kisoks. It does a phenomenal job of reducing the oil that creates white heads. When they break out and get inflamed it works very quickly to reduce the inflamation and start drying them up and healing. The other products, meh, we used them, I think there are cheaper just as effective washes, etc. at the local drug store. I buy the mask on eBay. I'd try the OTC stuff, especially the mask, before heading straight to the dr. Good Luck

Old 11-07-2013, 08:09 AM

219 posts, read 483,871 times
Docs are very reluctant to rx Accutane. It's literally a course of last resort.

That said, I applaud the OP for being aware and ready to help in this case. So many parents don't and it can be devastating for the child.

What has worked for others is pretty much irrelevant. You need to bring your son to a derm and let the derm make observations, ask questions, and then decide on a course of treatment. Don't leave the office without a clear understanding of what a reasonable expectation is as far as a change in the skin. And ask what the next step would be if things haven't improved by that time. Good luck!

Old 11-07-2013, 08:28 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Aside from all the advice above, also make sure he's using clean towels on his face, his pillowcases and clothes are clean, his razor isn't all gunked up. All of those things can harbor bacteria and smoosh them into his pores, which won't help the process.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:12 AM

863 posts, read 2,993,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mselainey View Post
Docs are very reluctant to rx Accutane. It's literally a course of last resort.

That said, I applaud the OP for being aware and ready to help in this case. So many parents don't and it can be devastating for the child.

What has worked for others is pretty much irrelevant. You need to bring your son to a derm and let the derm make observations, ask questions, and then decide on a course of treatment. Don't leave the office without a clear understanding of what a reasonable expectation is as far as a change in the skin. And ask what the next step would be if things haven't improved by that time. Good luck!
I see your comment as contradictory.

In our experience, there really wasn't alot to talk about. T the Dr pretty much said:
1) if it's bad enough we can discuss meds but you need to know the risks. I think he also had us get some Retin A (Also expensive and not covered by ins. as it's cosmetic.)
2) use Benzoil peroxide products whether you use meds or not.

Meds worked, we tapered of the products, and kids grow up.

Yes, the Dr. was hesitant to prescribe especially without making sure we understood the risks and the are very real and can be serious. Aside Meds and using OTC topicals and keeping your skin clean, but not too clean as to produce more oil, there's not much more you can do. (Oh and eat a healthy diet with lots of water.) The products and suggestions mentioned here ARE relevant and just MIGHT work. Then again they may not, but there's not a lot of risk either financially or medically.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:20 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso1979 View Post

In our experience, there really wasn't alot to talk about. T the Dr pretty much said:
1) if it's bad enough we can discuss meds but you need to know the risks. I think he also had us get some Retin A (Also expensive and not covered by ins. as it's cosmetic.)

Yes, the Dr. was hesitant to prescribe especially without making sure we understood the risks and the are very real and can be serious. Aside Meds and using OTC topicals and keeping your skin clean, but not too clean as to produce more oil, there's not much more you can do. (Oh and eat a healthy diet with lots of water.) The products and suggestions mentioned here ARE relevant and just MIGHT work. Then again they may not, but there's not a lot of risk either financially or medically.
I get Retin-A regularly and it IS covered when used for acne - that is a medical use and not cosmetic (cosmetic is anti-wrinkle). You just need a special authorization from the derm. I had no trouble getting it.

There are other treatments now for acne that don't include accutane or other dangerous drugs. It is important to find a good dermatologist who knows about them. Also, just getting good information about what to do and not to do is important. I've seen several doctors for adult acne, and gotten quite different information from different doctors. Some just aren't very knowledgeable, unfortunately.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:17 AM

219 posts, read 483,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso1979 View Post

I don't see where it's contradictory. It'd be tough to find a derm who will rx Accutane straightaway without first trying less-expensive methods with fewer side effects. Yes, it works across the board, that's pretty much a given.

My point about what works for others being irrelevant is because there are so many options, rx and not, and each person is going to react to different medications differently. A derm has to see the skin in person and ask a lot of questions to be able to recommend the right course of treatment. At age 40 and having seen many derms and tried many different medications, I feel pretty comfortable saying that.

Sadly not everyone grows out of bad skin.

The problem with just using BP products across the board is that most people overdo it on them and it then compounds the problem. Scratchy exfoliants, skin-stripping medicated pads, medicated wash AND then a medicated/BP topical treatment applied can really destroy facial skin. But that's what a lot of people start off with, and it's overload.

Overdying the face usually leads to increased oil production, so the skin is then red, irritated, dry, tight, oily/shiny and painful, as well as flaky/scaly and itchy.

I myself use generic retin A (tretinoin) as it's much easier to get approved by insurance, but stricter insurers will require a phone call or other contact from the derm in order to approve the rx being filled (mine does). Didn't used to be the case, but many are tightening up on this kind of stuff now.

I've tried maybe 7 different topical treatments for acne in the last 10 years. I've begged 3 derms and a GP for accutane and not ONE of them would agree. I'm past my childbearing years, and my acne is persistent (going on nearly 28 years now, UGH) but not to the point that it's devastating.

The first time I used retin-A micro, the doctor didn't adequately instruct me as to how often I should apply it (starting with every 3 or 4 days and very gradually working up to nightly use) -- also didn't mention the extreme importance of totally avoiding the delicate areas around the eyes, nose and mouth. My entire face erupted in a red, tight, painful rashy reaction. My eyes were puffed almost shut and when they teared from the pain, it burned so bad! I had to call for a triage appointment and use a steroid lotion to be able to function.

An in-person evaluation by a derm is critical, but it's anyone's guess what will actually work for a given individual.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:07 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
There's acne and acne.

Different sorts need different treatment. If its just a face full of little spots then Pro active or a similar cleaning regimen is the way to go.

Make sure you change his pillowcases regularly! Buy him some Clearasil soap and some anti acne toner or scrub. Look for products with salicylic acid.

I am sure most teenage acne cases are aggravated by the high fat high sugar diet they all consume so he needs to cut back on this and increase fresh fruit, 8 glasses of water etc.

Most cases clear up spontaneously, especially if he keeps his skin and diet clean.

If he has that big sort of acne, with blackheads and whiteheads and lumps and bumps, he needs a dermatologist.

I used to go to school with a girl who had severe scarring, the only thing that cleared her shocking acne was UV treatment.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:42 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whywontthisjustwork View Post
Accutane. It's like magic.
I would advise against it. I did it in middle school and it had long term negative repercussions. I liked it at the time, but regret it (I was 13).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty