Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 08:49 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,994,575 times

Advertisements

West of the rockies, shorts above the knee are perfectly normal for guys, especially well-educated or well-off guys. Longer shorts look kind trashy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 12:17 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl View Post
*shrug* shorty shorts must have seemed like a good idea in the 80s but we thankfully changed our mind about that

I personally never wear shorts except when I'm on a sports court.

I noticed that during the summer here, men of immigrant background do not wear shorts at all.
I've seen black men wearing shorts but they were native born black men, not immigrant ones.

I was on a caribbean island not too long ago and was surprised to see that men
simply did not wear shorts. The only shorts wearing men were tourists or other foreigners.

I have a feeling that in latin america and in the caribbean, wearing shorts is appropriate only
for children and the extremely destitute.
I am not sure exactly what you mean by "shorty" shorts......right below the butt cheeks?

Short shorts on men is just not an 80's thing.

Late 60's through the 70's men wore cut offs.....jeans....usually cut off at mid thigh. {Sexy look, IMO}

I think mid thigh is a good length for both men and women.....it flatters the legs. {usually...there are always exceptions}

Old 11-12-2013, 12:33 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
Whenever I see a thread title that says something like "the majority of women" or "most men" do or don't like something, I expect to see a link to a large, well-conducted survey backing up the statement. But there never is one. Myself, I couldn't care less how long or short a man's shorts are, just as I would hope men don't care how long or short mine are. People should dress to suit themselves, not others.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:08 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
Hairy knees? But men are supposed to have hair...

Old 11-12-2013, 09:19 AM

784 posts, read 1,981,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I am not sure exactly what you mean by "shorty" shorts......right below the butt cheeks?

Late 60's through the 70's men wore cut offs.....jeans....usually cut off at mid thigh. {Sexy look, IMO}

I think mid thigh is a good length for both men and women.....it flatters the legs. {usually...there are always exceptions}

Actually, before the early 90s, shorts for men were always short, especially gym shorts. Then, Micahel Jordan and the Fab Five came and along with Hip Hop, transformed all mens shorts into long and baggy.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:34 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,377,273 times
I don't like it because it's out-of-style and out-of-touch with current fashion. I am (like many) a slave to fashion, like it or not.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:42 AM
hvl

403 posts, read 551,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

I'm thinking of Richard Simmons type shorts.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:47 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
"Why do a majority of women dislike a man wearing above the knee shorts?"

How do you know a majority of women dislike anything? Have you asked a majority or have you just taken it upon yourself to speak for them?

Old 11-12-2013, 10:03 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,627,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
There are two Americas, now. In White, Middle-to-Upper-Class America, shorts above the knee are perfectly acceptable. Colors in menswear are acceptable. Well-fitted clothes are acceptable. In fact, the trend among the higher classes of athletic young white guys is for shorter shorts. It sets them apart from "thuggish" guys.

For the "others" (people in bad neighborhoods, or people who belong in bad neighborhoods), long shorts, shapeless clothing, and colorless grey/black clothing seems to reflect fearfulness and insecurity. All of the current Body Image hyper-insecurity in lower class males (including the white ones) is symptomatic of deteriorating social conditions and changing demographics in America.

Believe me: if there's truly a "majority" of young women where you live, who disapprove of above-the-knee shorts, they're the kind of women whose brothers think it's cool to push dogs into the street, to be run-over. In other words, you need a change of address, not a change in your clothing. And by "young", are you thinking in terms of still in highschool? Highschool girls live in extremely small worlds, totally ruled by conformity. Their opinions are utterly valueless. Just comfort yourself with the sure knowledge that those little skanks will soon be on welfare, and ballooning to two and three hundred pounds - within the next decade. It's amazing how quickly women like that become unattractive and over-the-hill. Fried food and sugary sodas will make their skin bad. They'll be so ugly and pitiful and unwanted... Let them have their little laughs while they can. Very soon, they'll know nothing but sadness and desperation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I really think you need to stay within whatever community produced you and your attitudes. Homophobia does not play well, in Mainstream America.
I'm sorry, but are you sure you have room to call out others for their lack of decorum and acceptable thought in "Mainstream America"?

It's also not considered okay in polite society to disparage the poor and people who live in bad neighborhoods by classifying and characterizing them all in a negative light, you know?

Old 11-12-2013, 10:13 AM

604 posts, read 839,559 times
I'm a woman, and personally I'm tired of men wearing huge shapeless clothing and shorts that hang below the knees. I don't think we should go back to tight jeans and short shorts of the 80's, but something in the middle would be great. Shorts 2-4" above the knee look fine on men, especially men with nice muscular legs. Those big gym shorts that hang below the knee look like skirts. Long cargo shorts that hang almost to mid calf look like capri pants. They really shouldn't be considered shorts. And they make stockier men look fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty