Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 12:24 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I needed gloves first thing this morning and I STILL have bulbs to plant. Oh well I guess I'll do that the end of the week when the temps moderate a bit and the wind isn't blowing.
Why are you planting them just before winter begins in Maine . They will most likely die within the next couple weeks. Just today, my beautiful red roses got damaged by snowfall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 12:59 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,552 times
I've already had to use a couple of coats, a lightweight down one, and a heavier lined wool coat. Haven't had to break out the heavier down yet, but I'm sure it will happen soon. We haven't really had any snow yet, just a dusting a couple of times.

As for planting the bulbs, as long as you can dig them into the ground (ground not frozen) they'll be fine. They need cold to get the root growth. However, the one doing the planting might need their winter coats!

Old 11-12-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I've already had to use a couple of coats, a lightweight down one, and a heavier lined wool coat. Haven't had to break out the heavier down yet, but I'm sure it will happen soon. We haven't really had any snow yet, just a dusting a couple of times.

As for planting the bulbs, as long as you can dig them into the ground (ground not frozen) they'll be fine. They need cold to get the root growth. However, the one doing the planting might need their winter coats!
The ground might not be frozen during the day, but with average lows around freezing in NJ (much lower in Maine), there is no way any plant can survive every night. My tomato plants have died out and basil was doing well till last week when it finally wilted to below freezing temperatures. Perhaps gardening indoors in a heated moist greenhouse would be a good idea. I have a steam room set up for my fragrant jasmine flowers to grow happily.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iagal View Post
Yep, back to the 50s by later this week ... time to break out the sandals
LOL we're breaking out our furry boots when it gets into the 50s!

Old 11-12-2013, 01:56 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL we're breaking out our furry boots when it gets into the 50s!
I can relate. I use to do the same thing when I first moved to Iowa from southern California several years ago. The natives here would always laugh at me, and especially those from Minnesota. It took a long time to break me in and toughen me up, but now 50 is WARM (actually 30s-40s is pretty darn good too), but that's not to say I don't curse like crazy every winter for moving here

Last edited by smpliving; 11-12-2013 at 02:08 PM..

Old 11-12-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iagal View Post
I can relate. I use to do the same thing when I first moved to Iowa from southern California several years ago. The natives here would always laugh at me, and especially those from Minnesota. It took a long time to break me in and toughen me up, but now 50 is WARM (actually 30s-40s is pretty darn good too), but that's not to say I don't curse like crazy every winter for moving here
Same thing here. When I arrived from Chennai India 3 years ago, I would wear hoodies in 65 F weather and get laughed at by locals. Now I don't wear hoodies till it dips below 50 F, but the difference is, I still get laughed at by the locals for saying its chilly.

Jersey people are too cold hardy for me to understand, especially the cheer leading squad wearing tank tops and track pants on a 30 F morning. 50 F is sweatshirt weather in my books and that's unlikely to change no matter where I go.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:13 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,428,702 times
I still need to get my sweaters out of storage as its beginning to get too chilly for long sleeve t's and vests. I did look out some of our hats, gloves and scarves however I seem to be missing a few, with the move and the renovations we have stuff stored everywhere so it looks like time to start going through boxes one by one ... ugh organising !

Oh and driving last week with boots on was interesting, my feet take a while to get used being enclosed after a summer in sandals and flip flops

Old 11-12-2013, 02:58 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,021 times
Sweater weather for the win.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:32 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
I still need to get my sweaters out of storage as its beginning to get too chilly for long sleeve t's and vests. I did look out some of our hats, gloves and scarves however I seem to be missing a few, with the move and the renovations we have stuff stored everywhere so it looks like time to start going through boxes one by one ... ugh organising !

Oh and driving last week with boots on was interesting, my feet take a while to get used being enclosed after a summer in sandals and flip flops
True - I do hate to enclose the toes.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:18 PM

Do any of you want to post pics of what you wear for winter. I would be interested to know.

For me, its just another wool covered coat. I really love woolen clothing for cold weather .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty