U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 12:37 PM

2,880 posts, read 3,567,172 times

Advertisements

I shop here for my coats Schott leather jackets and motorcycle apparel I bought the women's lightweight fitted Peacoat wool (Oxford Grey)...Love it! My last Pee I bought from them I had 10 years, still have it in great condition , I just want gray..They do have warmer Pee coats, but I'm older now don't get as cold, yes I live in very cold snow country... .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 05:08 PM

645 posts, read 1,125,419 times
Jesus WildCard~, some of those coats are really cute. As a heterosexual male, I've always been jealous of the fashionable shoes, coats, and accessories women have available to them.

Pinkmani:

If you're relying upon a coat to handle 100% of your warmth, you will be hard pressed to find one that is breathable and is capable of not overheating, creating hot spots, and keeping you comfortable through a wide temperature variance.

Some have mentioned down, and that's fine if you're in a Continental Climate where it's both very cold and even drier. Down doesn't handle body moisture well, and if it gets rained on, it's worthless and takes forever to dry out.

I dress in layers. Merino wool underwear, base layer of merino wool long johns, and then a middle layer of merino wool with a wool sweater as an outer layer. For covering layers in cold weather, I wear a 100% wool greatcoat that falls nearly to my ankle and it has a large roll collar so when I flip it up, it goes over my ears. The greatcoat keeps the wind off my legs, and if I sit down, it insulates me against conduction heat loss with the surface I plopped down on.

When I dress in base, mid, outer, and over layers, I can adjust what I'm wearing according to the weather and diurnal temperature variance. I have several wool scarves and they dramatically bolster the felt warmth of any coat I wear. I also have several wool skull caps as well as wool gloves and mitts. Dressing for cold weather requires a system rather than just one piece of gear like a heavy coat.

I've found alpaca, wool and natural animal fibers to have the highest comfort zone of any material I've ever worn. For example, it's 73° (23° C) in the house and I have all my base layers on and a chunky Aran wool sweater. I am comfortable, yet I can go outside in 30° (-1°) weather for ten minutes without putting anything else on, and I don't get cold because wool maintains homeostasis just like the natural hair on your head. The only way I generally know that I've just walked into a colder zone is that my face/hands get cold and I can see my breath. Additionally, wool is also self cleaning, doesn't absorb odor, and it rarely needs to be laundered. Usually it can just be brushed, aired out, and it will self clean on its own.

I've gone through a few pea coats and every civilian one I bought was horrible. I found a brand new US Navy issue 44L pea coat at the Army & Navy store. It's the bomb! It's fitted, made from thick heavy 100% worsted wool, and the quality in fit, finish, and warmth greatly exceeds the several civilian coats I've owned.

If you find wool itchy, you've just not tried the right wool because merino, alpaca, angora, camel and cashmere are the softest most comfortable fibers synthetic or natural that I've ever worn, and I wear it right next to my skin and wobbly bits.

The fit of the garment is also of great importance. I find most coats to be baggy around the mid section so if I do not have them tailored, they've not already been fitted, or there is no belt/draw string, the bellows effect will pump warm air out and cool air in as I walk about.

Good luck in your search,
bolillo

Last edited by bolillo_loco; 11-15-2013 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: No Rhodes scholar here

Old 11-15-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
Jesus WildCard~, some of those coats are really cute. As a heterosexual male, I've always been jealous of the fashionable shoes, coats, and accessories women have available to them.

You checkout the men coats they carry~ Sweet stuff...

Old 11-15-2013, 08:15 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,606,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolillo_loco View Post
Pinkmani:

If you're relying upon a coat to handle 100% of your warmth, you will be hard pressed to find one that is breathable and is capable of not overheating, creating hot spots, and keeping you comfortable through a wide temperature variance.

Some have mentioned down, and that's fine if you're in a Continental Climate where it's both very cold and even drier. Down doesn't handle body moisture well, and if it gets rained on, it's worthless and takes forever to dry out.

I dress in layers. Merino wool underwear, base layer of merino wool long johns, and then a middle layer of merino wool with a wool sweater as an outer layer. For covering layers in cold weather, I wear a 100% wool greatcoat that falls nearly to my ankle and it has a large roll collar so when I flip it up, it goes over my ears. The greatcoat keeps the wind off my legs, and if I sit down, it insulates me against conduction heat loss with the surface I plopped down on.

When I dress in base, mid, outer, and over layers, I can adjust what I'm wearing according to the weather and diurnal temperature variance. I have several wool scarves and they dramatically bolster the felt warmth of any coat I wear. I also have several wool skull caps as well as wool gloves and mitts. Dressing for cold weather requires a system rather than just one piece of gear like a heavy coat.

I've found alpaca, wool and natural animal fibers to have the highest comfort zone of any material I've ever worn. For example, it's 73° (23° C) in the house and I have all my base layers on and a chunky Aran wool sweater. I am comfortable, yet I can go outside in 30° (-1°) weather for ten minutes without putting anything else on, and I don't get cold because wool maintains homeostasis just like the natural hair on your head. The only way I generally know that I've just walked into a colder zone is that my face/hands get cold and I can see my breath. Additionally, wool is also self cleaning, doesn't absorb odor, and it rarely needs to be laundered. Usually it can just be brushed, aired out, and it will self clean on its own.

I've gone through a few pea coats and every civilian one I bought was horrible. I found a brand new US Navy issue 44L pea coat at the Army & Navy store. It's the bomb! It's fitted, made from thick heavy 100% worsted wool, and the quality in fit, finish, and warmth greatly exceeds the several civilian coats I've owned.

If you find wool itchy, you've just not tried the right wool because merino, alpaca, angora, camel and cashmere are the softest most comfortable fibers synthetic or natural that I've ever worn, and I wear it right next to my skin and wobbly bits.

The fit of the garment is also of great importance. I find most coats to be baggy around the mid section so if I do not have them tailored, they've not already been fitted, or there is no belt/draw string, the bellows effect will pump warm air out and cool air in as I walk about.

Good luck in your search,
bolillo
I live north of Atlanta, but I can't seem to find something that keeps me warm this year. The stuff I had worked previously. Right now it has been between 30°F and 50°F with powerful winds. As we get closer to December, it should go into the teens.

Sometimes wool is itchy, and sometimes it isn't. I'll have to try it on first. A few years ago on Black Friday, I bought my very first cashmere sweater. Oh, my gosh! I could wear that sweater everyday! Not only does it look really nice, but it feels great. It's so flattering.

Of course the US Navy coat would be perfect. We have to keep our guys and gals warm.

Thank you for such a detailed response!

Old 11-15-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I live north of Atlanta, but I can't seem to find something that keeps me warm this year. The stuff I had worked previously. Right now it has been between 30°F and 50°F with powerful winds. As we get closer to December, it should go into the teens.

Sometimes wool is itchy, and sometimes it isn't. I'll have to try it on first. A few years ago on Black Friday, I bought my very first cashmere sweater. Oh, my gosh! I could wear that sweater everyday! Not only does it look really nice, but it feels great. It's so flattering.

Of course the US Navy coat would be perfect. We have to keep our guys and gals warm.

Thank you for such a detailed response!

Really try Classic 32 Oz. Melton Wool Pea Coat for Women 750W site, they have a great return policy and you can call if you need help with sizing. They carry a Classic 32 Oz. Melton Wool Pea Coat for Women 750W, I had order this one but found it to be to warm, even tho we drop to -30 here, I'm older don't get cold anymore!.I returned it, no problems, they sent me the light weight fitted pee coat instead....Keep in mind the Classic 32 Oz. Melton Wool Pea Coat for Women 750W, fits bigger so order a size down from what you wear ...Here the fitted light weight Gray Pee coat! I love it!

Old 11-15-2013, 10:57 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,606,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Really try Classic 32 Oz. Melton Wool Pea Coat for Women 750W site, they have a great return policy and you can call if you need help with sizing. They carry a Classic 32 Oz. Melton Wool Pea Coat for Women 750W, I had order this one but found it to be to warm, even tho we drop to -30 here, I'm older don't get cold anymore!.I returned it, no problems, they sent me the light weight fitted pee coat instead....Keep in mind the Classic 32 Oz. Melton Wool Pea Coat for Women 750W, fits bigger so order a size down from what you wear ...Here the fitted light weight Gray Pee coat! I love it!

Thanks for the pic! I really appreciate it! This website is great!!!!

Old 11-15-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Thanks for the pic! I really appreciate it! This website is great!!!!
Welcome~

Old 11-18-2013, 12:44 AM

77 posts, read 189,071 times
A while back, when i spent time in Minneapolis and Chicago, there was a store called Ragstock, that the the so called "warmest coat in town". Indeed, it was a military style jacket and it was warm. I also second the baxter jacket from LL bean.

Honestly, the most warm jacket out there, as un PC as it is, is fur. I read an article about the coldest habited place on earth, where the average winter temp is 50 below O (farenheit), where you can't even turn your car off. They wear furs out of necessity. There's a reason why they wear it in Russia.

Barring that, you need a good windbreaker for both your legs and top. When it's really cold, i even wear snowbib like pants and a sweater, fleece, jacket and a hat.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:17 AM

1 posts, read 837 times
Default warm coat

I wanna suggest you to buy a coat of good company like woodland, which make you warm by its stuff.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:01 AM

10,487 posts, read 11,607,863 times
Atlanta!

I just took a look at the weather statistics and there is no month in which the average low for Atlanta is below freezing. We could say that just about anything will keep you warm at those temperatures, but apparently not.

If you go to LL Bean you will see that they have a wide range of coats. I wouldn't advise something like the Baxter State Parka for where you live, but their winter coats all have comfort range listings. I bet there are some with a comfort range listing down to about fifteen or twenty degrees that would be just fine for you. The really warm stuff either won't get a lot of use or will be uncomfortably warm most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty