U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 09:19 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,720,872 times

Advertisements

The warmest jacket I ever had and "still" have is a "Columbia" which I bought in Missoula MT at the Army Navy store in the center of town. We were on vacation there from Maine and I think I must have spent a couple of hours in that store. I bought so much that I had to ship a box home by UPS. lol. That was in 2003 and I still love that jacket. It's a nice hot pink with a medium blue color and cuffs, is light weight and super warm, washes like a dream and still looks "new. Try a Columbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 11:44 AM

3,079 posts, read 2,488,133 times
I would guess that, all else being equal, a possum coat would be warmest. However, it's probably unknown by most people who haven't lived near Australia.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:29 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,601,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
The warmest jacket I ever had and "still" have is a "Columbia" which I bought in Missoula MT at the Army Navy store in the center of town. We were on vacation there from Maine and I think I must have spent a couple of hours in that store. I bought so much that I had to ship a box home by UPS. lol. That was in 2003 and I still love that jacket. It's a nice hot pink with a medium blue color and cuffs, is light weight and super warm, washes like a dream and still looks "new. Try a Columbia.
Columbia jackets are cute. I think I bought the North Face because everyone else has one. I'm going to try the one from the Navy store that was suggested a few posts ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I would guess that, all else being equal, a possum coat would be warmest. However, it's probably unknown by most people who haven't lived near Australia.
Possum? Lol, I think I'll pass.

I could probably make my own possum coat if I collected all the dead possums that I see on the road.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:05 PM

339 posts, read 861,666 times
I have a long alpaca and wool coat, and nothing penetrates it. Alpaca is a wool, so I don't know why the distinction. Hat, scarves, and gloves are also necessary for warmth.

Old 11-28-2013, 10:29 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,548,645 times
South pole fur lined jacket or an arctic suit rated for -53 F is perfect for me. I have only used my Arctic suit on rare occasions though. Most of the time I go for the wool lined Jacket. Only when it drops into single digits or negatives do I opt for my arctic suit.

I bought my Arctic suit at a shop in Rothang pass high up in the Himalayas. It gets nasty cold up there in the winter, though its an amazing place to ski. Here are the conditions up there, so you know why they sell arctic suits.

http://www.yr.no/place/India/Himacha...g_La/long.html

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 11-28-2013 at 10:44 PM..

Old 11-29-2013, 09:46 PM

14,645 posts, read 12,073,582 times
My favorite cold weather coat is a Muslin lined, double layer wool, 1860s pattern Cavalry greatcoat. Replete with high turn collar and rain cape. The cut is long, hanging down to lower calf, the cape is also long, hanging down to waist level, and it can be pulled around and buttoned in the front for an extra layer there too. The collar will yurn up enough to completely cover my ears and the cuffs can be shook out to cover my hands.

Wool is my favorite cold weather weapon, and this coat has saved me a LOT of misery. I also have two pair of wool pants, one single layered and the other double with Muslin lining. Thus, I can go head to toe in nice, warm wool.

The coat tends to attract attention when I wear it to the city. Doctor appts, shopping etc. Not in a negative way though. I have had many queries as to where I got it. Lol, it's not garb that one sees every day. It wasn't inexpensive, but hardly out of line either. You get what you pay for, quite often. It is highly utilitarian, but, IMHO, looks quite sharp as well. I have wrapped my tiny lady in it upon more than one occasion, and she has threatened to abscond of it. She likes being warm.

I may buy her one that fits her, in a more...feminine...cut. However that might steal from the charm of wrapping her in mine. She does look quite irresistable swallowed up in my coat.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:54 PM

6,690 posts, read 7,013,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW transplant View Post
I have a long alpaca and wool coat, and nothing penetrates it. Alpaca is a wool, so I don't know why the distinction. Hat, scarves, and gloves are also necessary for warmth.
Alpaca fiber (warm and soft!) is the underwool of the alpaca, but people usually say "wool" when they mean "sheep's wool", and the breed name of other animals - alpaca, llama, ***, etc.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:02 PM

21,029 posts, read 19,975,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
It's a different kind of possum. I have some possum gloves from New Zealand and they're pretty warm.

Warmest coats are filled with goose down. Other warm coats, but much heavier, are real fur. Funny how the natural materials win out.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:17 PM

11,882 posts, read 11,548,645 times
Nobody here owns an Arctic suit. Those are the warmest coats one can get. Provided I got it at a uncharacteristic location, but everyone is surprised to see I own one and asks me "what is that ?".

Old 11-29-2013, 11:10 PM

14,645 posts, read 12,073,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Nobody here owns an Arctic suit. Those are the warmest coats one can get. Provided I got it at a uncharacteristic location, but everyone is surprised to see I own one and asks me "what is that ?".
It is fun to have a unique piece of clothing. Cold weather stuff especially. When your all nice and comfy and everbody else is freezing, you can suddenly find yourself to be an attention sink. Lol. I would think that Himalayan dwellers would know how to make warm gear. Such things tend to be designed around the conditions of location, by the people who have to deal with those conditions. Their knowledge of the matter is generally pretty reliable. I would imagine that your answer as to where to obtains such a suit as yours might set folks back some, lmao, and I rather doubt the maker takes online orders. Your one off appearance should be safe. A local seamstress made my my oat for me, from an original pattern I bought at a historical event. Original US Cavalry specifications. Infantry coats were car less substantial. Single layered, no rain cape, short collar and buttoned cuffs. Much resembling a modern peacoat. Not what I was looking for.

The val did a fantastic job on it. Worth every penny. Plus, like you to I enjoy tbe uniqueness of the garb. Winter sucks. May as well have a little fun with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty