U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2013, 03:46 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,873,375 times

Advertisements

I don't like names where it's not extremely clear which gender the person is. For example, I've known both males and females named Dana.

I feel that names which end in the letter "a" are inappropriate for males. Dana, Yisa (yep, seen it), Donta, Asa, etc. Names ending in "a" are too feminine for men.

Names that end in "r" for females are usually unattractive, though I don't feel especially strongly against Jennifer and Heather. Harper, Piper, Pilar, etc... not feminine.

Most names that are actually nouns / adjectives / verbs, I find undesirable. Hope, Felicity, Serenity, Charity, Colt, Mark, Lance, Chase, etc. I think it'd be weird for someone to have to use his or her own name in conversation as something other than a name.

Then there are the names that strike most people like "What the heck were they thinking?!"... most people would argue that those names are "ethnic", but I argue that even those of other ethnicities must have some clue about what's normal and what's just crazy. Hedwig, for a girl? It conjures up images of a costume shop! How about Ziv, for a boy? It rhymes with "Steve". Ya know, Ziv ain't your studmuffin. Class clown? Ziv's your guy. College professor? Ziv can handle it. You'll never find girls drawing "ZIV" with hearts all around it on their binders in middle school because he concentrates the manliness of three or four typical dudes into one body.

I don't like any of the "modern popular names", even if, on their own, there's nothing wrong with them. Anything that becomes too popular is bad news. For example, any boy's name that is, or rhymes with, "Aiden". I'd bet that today's elementary and middle schools are teeming with such people. A teacher shouts out "AIDEN!" in the hallway and traffic grinds to a comedic halt with kids slamming into each other as 4 Aidens, 3 Jaydens, 4 Caydens, 5 Haydens (3 boys and 2 girls!), 2 Raydens, 3 Braydens, and even a Zayden stop to see if it was he (or she) whom the teacher was attempting to summon. When I was in high school it was names like Michael, Jeffrey, Matthew, Jennifer, Katie (all of its longer forms), etc. that could stop traffic. You ever wanted a funny YouTube video in 1996, roll the camera during class-change time and shout out "JEFF!!!!" at the top of your lungs in the hallway.

I agree with the original post that Mackenzie is a bad name for a girl. Firstly, it's three syllables with sounds that don't go together well nor roll off the tongue... practically guaranteeing that it will be shortened by someone at some time... maybe even the parents themselves. Secondly, there's no good shortening for that name. "Kenzie"? Sounds like a circus clown or a puppy. "Mack"? Sounds like a 40-ton diesel truck. "Mackie"? Might make a professional sound technician drool, but probably nobody else. Thirdly, it's too "modern" and too "popular". I've known a couple of "Mackenzies" and they're fine children... but I wonder how they'll feel about their names once they reach their late teens.

The single greatest repository of terrible names is People magazine. On its pages you will find names such as Apple, Maddox, Blue Ivy, North (West), Willow, Huxley, Prince Michael I-II-III-IV, Pilot Inspektor, etc. Apparently, being a celebrity predisposes one toward choosing ridiculous names for his/her children. My only thought is: they do it so they'll stay in the news and continue earning mega-bucks. After all, the Kim Kardashians of the world would probably be working minimum-wage-plus-a-few-cents retail jobs were they not constantly paid huge sums of money for windows into their scandalous lives, which all Americans just HAVE to see... those people have to maintain those scandalous lives lest they find themselves broke and hungry when the American public loses interest in paying for news about their now-ordinary lives. The general public probably wouldn't have bought anywhere near as many People magazines over the last few months had Kim & Kanye's illegitimate child been named something like "Catherine West" or "Jennifer West" instead of the totally horror-inducing "North West". But you know that, in 18 years or so, a steamy video by the name of "East Goes South On North West" will pop up on the Internet... perpetuating the family business, fame, and fortune for another generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 04:15 PM

2,741 posts, read 4,571,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
'
Careful, they gonna toss your resume/kiddies resume real fast with these off the boat names
FYI, I (and many of my friends) have an "off the boat names" and I guarantee your resume will get tossed before ours.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:39 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,306 posts, read 2,259,708 times
Any Indonesian parents right now name their kids weird almost ghetto-like. I prefer names that reflect one's culture or if it is westernized, dont make a ghetto made-up names like:
Graziella Priscilla Margot or Marietta Michelle Antonia....
Sorry Indonesians..... ;(

Old 11-18-2013, 04:48 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,552,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
FYI, I (and many of my friends) have an "off the boat names" and I guarantee your resume will get tossed before ours.
I was not being mean. Studies have been done & people with ""ethnic"" /strange names don't fare too well in life. Growing up, Barack went by Barry. Wonder why?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4220259.html

http://racerelations.about.com/od/th...rimination.htm

Only exception are Asian names because Asians are the model minority, known to be smart, hard working and submissive.

Even Keenu Reeves had problems because of his Hawaian name so did Jennifer ""LOPEZ"" as opposed to Jennifer GARNER. Lopez had to work harder than Garner.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:20 PM
hvl

403 posts, read 451,935 times
I hate every ghetto name (LaNikesha, LeQuailus, nuShawn, etc)
I hate made up names.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:30 PM
hvl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
I had a friend that named one son Harry (Not Harold) and another Dickey (Not Richard)....wondered what they were thinking. I also can't fathom why kids are named after their parents generation after generation, especially true with boys, some of the most god awful names are repeated over and over again.
This happens a lot among non english speaking people who don't realize that Harry, Larry, Will, Bill, Teddy, etc are actually nicknames. I was unfortunately given such a nickname. I'm not crazy about it but it's ok

Old 11-18-2013, 05:36 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,882,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl View Post
I hate every ghetto name (LaNikesha, LeQuailus, nuShawn, etc)
I hate made up names.
all names were made up at a certain point, guess you hate yourself....

i think you just hate new aged names, or unique names

Old 11-18-2013, 06:47 PM

19,176 posts, read 24,081,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
For girls, McKenzie is by far the worst IMO. Hope, Destiny, Faith, Quinn, Molly, Claire, Madeleine, Katelyn, Abigail, Jenna, Heather, Cathy, Caitlyn, Hannah, Grace, Demi, Katie, Chloe, Gertrude, Margot, Olga, Bertha, Bridget, and anything that ends in -lynn.

For guys, Caleb is the worst, followed by Jayden, Brayden, Ayden, Caden, Sladen, Kaden, Rayden, Skyler, Tanner, and Logan.

On the flip side, I think Penelope, Sofia, Olivia, Sveta, Yesenia, Yelena, Yasmin, Yardenia, Izabela, Natalia, Kseniya, Graciela, Consuela, Marisol, Soledad, and Ariana are beautiful names.

For guys, I love names Maksim, Andrei, Ismael, Tyshawn, Aleksei, Salvador, Miguel, Bautista, Cristobal, Volodya, Vitaly, Fernando, Yaroslav, Miroslav, Nikolai, Gabriel, and Andres.

Are you from Ukraine or Poland? Many of the names that you favor are decidedly not in favor among Americans. You don't like Cathy? Hannah? or Grace? But you do like Sveta? Yelena? and Kseniya?

Hate Caleb? Aiden and Logan? But love Yaroslav? Vitaly? And Miroslav?

Old 11-18-2013, 06:51 PM

19,176 posts, read 24,081,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Very weird post I have no idea where you are from? But I like more the names you hate as opposed to the ones you love.

Same! I couldn't rep you, but that was exactly how I felt. The hate list - especially for females reads very much like my "like" list. And most other English speakers.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:54 PM
hvl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
all names were made up at a certain point, guess you hate yourself....

i think you just hate new aged names, or unique names
I hate myself because ?
Hood names aren't part of my culture nor that of my parents.

Names were obviously all made up at some point but you might recall that pretty much every given name has or had an actual meaning. What I meant by made up names are those names that are, for example, made up by combining the parents' given names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty