U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2013, 07:11 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,588,092 times

Advertisements

Names like Sir Raven, and Prince or Princess anything get on my nerves. If you are not truly royal, why call yourself that? It is ridiculous. And just to be clear I have known a Sir Raven, and that is really what he was called.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 07:28 PM

4,835 posts, read 4,925,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Wow, so you are hispanic? You should not hate your name, people are stupid. They also can't pronounce my last name right either, so don't sweat it. You should not hate your last name, it's who you are and there is nothing wrong with it just because people can't pronounce it. You should be proud that you come from a proud culture and not be embarrassed or upset about anything. I also don't understand why you get mad when they say it's pretty, it probably is and you are just giving yourself a hard time about it for nothing.
Nah, not Hispanic. I am 90% or so European and have some Brazilian Indian (Native blood). I got married and changed my last name...it originated in Sweden but very common in the US. I never changed it back. I just got tired of people mispronouncing my whole name my entire life. It gets so old and frustrates the crap out of me! I have very little patient and that doesn't help. I might get married again someday and he has an English (or is it Scottish?!) last name. I will take his name. But will never go back to my maiden name.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:32 PM

427 posts, read 812,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
Reminds me of maggots! Nah!
I never would have thought of that. But then, I don't see them as often as you probably do.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:39 PM

11,568 posts, read 6,773,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post

I think you'd actually find that for many, Hunter is a family name and has nothing to do with any hobbies or interests the parents may/may not have.

Despite trying to keep an open mind to others naming their child(ren), I admit to inwardly cringing at names like "Crystal" (and the million cutesy variations in spelling), "Messiah", and almost everything that ends in the letter I.
I actually don't mind Crystal. It hasn't been overused to the point of Faith, Destiny, or Hope

Old 11-18-2013, 07:59 PM

11,568 posts, read 6,773,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Are you from Ukraine or Poland? Many of the names that you favor are decidedly not in favor among Americans. You don't like Cathy? Hannah? or Grace? But you do like Sveta? Yelena? and Kseniya?

Hate Caleb? Aiden and Logan? But love Yaroslav? Vitaly? And Miroslav?
I'm not Ukrainian and I'm only a bit Polish. I really do like some American names, like Kate for example. Most Kates that I know are really friendly and nice. Other American names I like are Karen, Linda, Shari, Amanda, Alexis, Ariella, Daniella, Esther, Elena, Christina, Jennifer, Nicole, Naomi, Cindy, Jillian, Tanya, and Dominique

Old 11-18-2013, 08:32 PM

2,898 posts, read 5,350,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Nah, not Hispanic. I am 90% or so European and have some Brazilian Indian (Native blood). I got married and changed my last name...it originated in Sweden but very common in the US. I never changed it back. I just got tired of people mispronouncing my whole name my entire life. It gets so old and frustrates the crap out of me! I have very little patient and that doesn't help. I might get married again someday and he has an English (or is it Scottish?!) last name. I will take his name. But will never go back to my maiden name.
I do understand, but gave up letting it bother me many years ago & I must admit, I've at times said other people's names incorrectly. We can't know everything, particularly living in a huge melting pot with so many cultures. In an effort to simplify, I even Americanized my first name... still no one has ever pronounced it properly, spelled it correctly or remembered it... odd, since it's unusual, my first & surname. Being called different names by the same person because they can't remember is what irks me a bit more, but again, I've let it go... but it is strange being called an array of incorrect names all day long.

But, it's not just in the states. I've lived in Japan & have also had Chinese friends who assigned a nickname to me, because they just felt they'd never be able to say it. (I never did ask what the nickname meant... hmm, I wonder what I was being called all those years.)

So many are confused with that which isn't common. I've often thought of changing my name to Zelda Zonk, a name Marilyn Monroe used when checking into hotels. That, they should remember.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:51 PM

373 posts, read 495,680 times
I don't like male sounding names on girls. Taylor, Madison, Georgie, and Rickie are the ones I hate the most. To me its the equivalent of naming a boy "Brucie" 60 years ago. Those boys never lived it down; most grew up gay and became interior decorators, whether they intended to or not. No foolin.'

Same Topic Funny Anecdote: A friend of mine and his new wife took a trip up north for a week during which she notified him that she was pregnant. They named the baby girl Isabella Clare. I thought for a second and replied...ya know, that's two consecutive counties you drove through on the way back home. Pulled out a road map and showed him. Sure enough it was! He claimed he didn't realize that. I wonder, though. There are signs on the sides of the road that indicate when you enter a county here.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:53 PM

2,898 posts, read 5,350,803 times
Quote:
I was not being mean. Studies have been done & people with ""ethnic"" /strange names don't fare too well in life.
Yes. I think the only names I find difficult are names which are slang for something else. For instance, I still find it difficult to call anyone Dick. I simply can't say it as it would make me laugh. Since it's a nickname, I'm unsure why one would keep it, but I do get that most men with that nickname are from a generation when it was common. Still... not gonna say it.

Same as in the UK to call someone the American name/nickname Randy. It makes me giggle. Or, Melvin... what I've known to be slang for a wedgie.

I'd have to search for it now, but I recall reading an article about cars & other items that flopped in other countries. Forget the names now, but one car was named something that translated into 'dud' in that language. Names are important. But, so is tradition for some. If great-great-uncle Melvin, Elmer or Marvin were favorites, some people will still assign those names.

BTW, I've also known a handful of everyday people, who've legally changed their names for varying reasons, including several relatives. Even in celeb news, Zowie Bowie is now Duncan Jones, Woody Allen's kids with Mia Farrow all changed their names (so as not to be associated with him) & I'm wondering if a lot of the oddball names assigned kids will be kept if they don't follow in the steps of their showbiz parents? Kids get teased so easily... I guess I'd attempt not to set up my child, Dali or Ichabod, for a good daily ribbing.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:21 PM

13,336 posts, read 15,890,221 times
Quote:
Very weird post I have no idea where you are from? But I like more the names you hate as opposed to the ones you love.
Me too!

Old 11-18-2013, 09:23 PM

45,269 posts, read 90,005,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
For girls, McKenzie is by far the worst IMO. Hope, Destiny, Faith, Quinn, Molly, Claire, Madeleine, Katelyn, Abigail, Jenna, Heather, Cathy, Caitlyn, Hannah, Grace, Demi, Katie, Chloe, Gertrude, Margot, Olga, Bertha, Bridget, and anything that ends in -lynn.

For guys, Caleb is the worst, followed by Jayden, Brayden, Ayden, Caden, Sladen, Kaden, Rayden, Skyler, Tanner, and Logan.

On the flip side, I think Penelope, Sofia, Olivia, Sveta, Yesenia, Yelena, Yasmin, Yardenia, Izabela, Natalia, Kseniya, Graciela, Consuela, Marisol, Soledad, and Ariana are beautiful names.

For guys, I love names Maksim, Andrei, Ismael, Tyshawn, Aleksei, Salvador, Miguel, Bautista, Cristobal, Volodya, Vitaly, Fernando, Yaroslav, Miroslav, Nikolai, Gabriel, and Andres.

Proving once again that one man's trash is another man's treasure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty