U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2013, 09:28 PM

584 posts, read 487,433 times

Advertisements

Brenda
Rhonda
Roberta
Tamara (Tammy)
Jennifer
Crystal
Angel
Chloe
Zoe
Taylor
Todd
Bruce
Ronald
Donald
Ralph
Arthur
Eugene
Harold
Rodney
Any of the -ayden variations
Most of the overused current batch of popular kid names, especially those with "unique" spelling.
My cousin and his wife named their daughters Grady Sue and Mavis. Poor kids.
According to my mom, my siblings and I were each given "the first name we could think of that didn't sound too stupid with our weird last name"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 09:38 PM

13,318 posts, read 15,860,411 times
I don't like old lady sounding names like Agnes, Gertrude, Grace (yah, I know it's making a comeback but to me it sounds like an old lady), Bertha, Ruth, Genevieve, Maxine, etc.

I have always hated the name Percy for a first name, male or female. Every Percy I have ever met was weird.

I love the name Michael. I love the name Nicole. I love the name Micah. I love the name Kristen.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:33 PM

8,206 posts, read 11,118,127 times
I don't have a strong dislike for names,but I caution anyone to name their kids these names:

Dick...for obvious reasons. I'm not sure if the slang was known by the name it is now,but you get the idea. Jay Leno used to slaughter the former senator Dick Army(or Armey) with jokes.

ALice,because my close relative is named that and the first thing people say is "Alice in Wonderland". Even strangers say that when meeting her the 1st time.

Ellen...for some reason, Ellen Degeneres comes up in my head,and obvioulsy everyone else's too. I had a neighbor who was named Ellen,and just like the comedian,was butch gay lesbian.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:46 PM

2,794 posts, read 6,823,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I don't have a strong dislike for names,but I caution anyone to name their kids these names:

Dick...for obvious reasons. I'm not sure if the slang was known by the name it is now,but you get the idea. Jay Leno used to slaughter the former senator Dick Army(or Armey) with jokes.

ALice,because my close relative is named that and the first thing people say is "Alice in Wonderland". Even strangers say that when meeting her the 1st time.

Ellen...for some reason, Ellen Degeneres comes up in my head,and obvioulsy everyone else's too. I had a neighbor who was named Ellen,and just like the comedian,was butch gay lesbian.
Try having a name like Robin (where's batman?).

Also for Dick not being a popular name, for the same reason Peter isn't either. However it seems fairly popular in England (Peter) but not here- we are a prude bunch of people in America.

Actually I don't have any more problem with Dick being a nickname for Richard as I do Rich. That is not such a great one either (Oh, you're so Rich!). Rich being that's rich, lol.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:44 PM

1,610 posts, read 2,104,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
I dont mind much except hill billy names like Sally Ann, Baue (pronounced Bow), Carly,

Hood names like Jayden, Shawn, Keisha, Ebony, Jasmin

Preppy names like Mikaela, Sunshine,

Old knitting lady names like Margaret, Penelope , Debra though its making a come back
How is Shawn a "hood" name? It seems like a basic name like Brian, Kevin, Scott, or Kyle. I know two Shawns and they come from middle class, suburban, Caucasian families. Are you saying that the spelling is "hood" or the name itself?

Old 11-19-2013, 12:42 AM

2,898 posts, read 5,342,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
How is Shawn a "hood" name? It seems like a basic name like Brian, Kevin, Scott, or Kyle. Are you saying that the spelling is "hood" or the name itself?
The original spelling is Gaelic, Sean. Basic name? Not sure what that means, but it translates to John in English... perhaps that's a 'basic' name in some circles?

Old 11-19-2013, 05:58 AM

59,777 posts, read 57,234,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Yeah, Karen is a sexy name IMO. Linda is cool too. Sharon is terrible, the first thing I think of is Israeli prime minister Ariel Sharon. It'd be like naming your daughter Reagan or Boehner.
My sister is Sharon. She was born in 1950. It was a popular name at the time, and of course no one had ever heard of Ariel Sharon back then. But...isn't Ariel the name of a mermaid? ;-)

Old 11-19-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I'll believe it when I come across a young person named Bertha.
Lol. But look at old-lady names like Emma, Ava, Emily, Sophia, all making a comeback in recent years. Not long ago the only people you met with those names had white hair.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggertoes View Post
I work in a rather urban part of town, and I find some names to be just ridiculous. Messiah, Queen, and Princess ...really? Syre? Why would you do that to a child? I abhor names like Tamikyshia, ****ina, DaShawn, Jayshawn...and anything that is spelled ridiculously for no reason. I hate it when people use y's instead of i's in a name just because. I just can't imagine suggestively whispering a man's name if it were something like "DeShaunte" or "Ray'vaunte"...just no. lol

For women, it's the "lenes" I hate. Darlene, Lurlene, etc. They sound very white trash to me and it's hard to move past that stereotype.

I was given a rather unique name, and though I like it, I do get judged for having it - I don't think it helps me get jobs, that is for sure!

I also used to know a man named Precious. Yes. Precious.
There's a woman working at my supermarket named Precious.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:29 AM

10,664 posts, read 8,120,196 times
Names ending in "ert" (Robert, Gilbert, Hubert...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty