U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2013, 03:36 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,960,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I understand how Precious will be made fun of by kids or young adults. Back then in college, I had a friend named Precious which was made fun anytime she introduced herself. This happened after Lord of the Ring movie- the one with Gollum comes out.
Boy / girl : what's your name?
Precious: Precious.
Boy / girl (pretending to be Gollum): My precious.....
I bet she was annoyed since I was myself annoyed seeing new people do that all the time.

I personally think it is a nice name. It has a good meaning. I am sure the parents gave her that name because she is precious. But you know every 18 - 19 years old will make fun of that name...
Why not just give the kid a name that means more or less the same thing ... like Amanda (worthy of love) or Cheryl/Cara (beloved).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 03:38 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,960,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Personally, I love older names like Helena, Beatrice, Theresa, Lucille, Desmond, Jacob, Thomas, Sebastian, Monroe.
If I ever have children, I'd probably name them some of the names above. Maybe Theresa Beatrice or Thomas Monroe.

I don't have any strong aversions to any names but I'm not a big fan of rednecky sounding names (I live in Virginia)...such as Barbara-lynn (yes I know someone with that name--they go by BarbieLynn), Bobby Ray, Billy Bob, etc...

I wasn't too big of a fan when my SIL named her son Hunter just because personally I don't like the name. I know a little girl name Hunter and she's the sweetest thing but I wish she'd go by her middle name, Elizabeth.
Yeah I'd take hipster names over hick ones.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:43 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,273,569 times
Meh, I prefer traditional English names to the "creative" names people come up with. I get you don't want your kid to have an older person's name, but do people think of the effect the name may have on them later on? There typically seems to be a correlation with traditional names and success.

I don't necessarily have a problem with most of the names you like. I think you mentioned from previous posts, that you're originally from Russia, so "Yasmin" and "Nikolai" don't sound "off" to me. I think your choice of names may not be as well received because many posters would consider them "ethnic," which is fine as long as it fits your child.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:47 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,797,197 times
a boy named Miracle.

I am not lying.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:18 PM

11,564 posts, read 6,760,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Meh, I prefer traditional English names to the "creative" names people come up with. I get you don't want your kid to have an older person's name, but do people think of the effect the name may have on them later on? There typically seems to be a correlation with traditional names and success.

I don't necessarily have a problem with most of the names you like. I think you mentioned from previous posts, that you're originally from Russia, so "Yasmin" and "Nikolai" don't sound "off" to me. I think your choice of names may not be as well received because many posters would consider them "ethnic," which is fine as long as it fits your child.
I have a traditional (although uncommon in Russia) last name, so yeah, Nikolai or Alexei wouldn't be off

Old 11-19-2013, 04:25 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,846,854 times
I find people with the name "Kardashian" incredibly unattractive.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:57 PM

2,898 posts, read 5,344,401 times
When I was a kid, there was an article in the paper about a family whose surname was Basquette... which many pronounced 'basket'. All their daughters had plant names, like Ivy, Jasmine & the last they named Flower.

Thinking back to that time, when it was common to be married at 18 or 19, perhaps that's the reason for such cutesy names. I also knew local girls named Dolly & Candy (not a nickname for Candace). They must have had younger parents. I think of a 90-yr old Candy or Tiffany & it gives me a smile.

And, I've had Filipino friends, many of whom had flowery/cutesy names. My friend was Cherry, her sisters were Petal & Dahlia... & sadly, all I can think of is the Black Dahlia, so I'd skip that name or other names more known for tragic figures... Marilyn, or more recently Dexter. Remember the nutter recently in the news (there have been a few), who named his child Adolph Hitler? Here's one such crazy article (I'm sure there are dozens) about poor kids saddled with or fortunately, refused by the courts to be given wacky names, such as 'Sex Fruit' (Really??? Why???):

From Messiah to Hitler, What You Can and Cannot Name Your Child | TIME.com

And, an excerpt:

"And in New Zealand, a judge in 2008 spared a girl of being called Tulula Does The Hula From Hawaii; in his ruling he cited other names nixed by registration officials, such as Fish and Chips, Keenan Got Lucy and Sex Fruit. A 1995 act states that “unreasonably long” names are “undesirable in the public interest” in New Zealand."

Another issue, but I've also seen extraordinarily ridiculous names for pets. The 20-yr old nutters, who lived across the hall from me in NC, occasionally put the pipe down & ventured outside, with their dog, Queechy Queechy Kitten Dog... Who cares, but they said the dog's full name, all day & night. I worked from home, so couldn't get away from their silly bantering & continual conversations with QQKD. I wanted to dognap the poor pooch & give him a better home. I only hope they didn't procreate.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:19 PM

2,898 posts, read 5,344,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I would imagine that John and its various ethnic variants are considered a "basic" name in MOST circles. There's a reason that the terminology "John Doe" exists. "John" is a pretty generic masculine name.
I hear what you're saying TR. But, all our 'basic' names differ, depending upon nationality, country of origin, generation, country where one resides. I lived in Japan & Iceland... never met a John, Susan, Steven, Kathy, possibly 'basic' names for others elsewhere, depending upon age.

The poster felt that 'Brian, Kevin, Scott, or Kyle' as well as Shawn were 'basic' names. I've only heard of children named Kyle, never met a Scott (can't even think of anyone famous with the first name Scott... only F. Scott Fitzgerald) & Shawn is a newfangled way to spell the traditional, Sean, sometimes given to girls, too.

John wasn't mentioned & although Sean translates to John (I don't know, can Shawn be considered the same name, particularly when given to a girl?), they're not technically the same (at least in pronunciation). Not complaining, just explaining. I'm just saying what's basic to a 70-yr old southerner probably differs from a 30-yr old NYer of Puerto Rican descent or a 50-yr old eastern European or a 40-yr old African American, which is why I like reading others' choices.

In fact, most of the names people have listed here as likes, aren't names I do & probably vice versa. The 3 most seem to despise... Hunter, Archer, Gunner (only Gunnar is familiar to me, when in Scandinavia), I like.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:59 PM

2,794 posts, read 6,826,398 times
I have heard of a woman named "Dimple". I am neutral on this name as it kind of grows on you, but it's highly unusual for a name.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:04 PM

5,084 posts, read 8,093,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
For guys, Caleb is the worst.
I was actually going to post that. That is the UGLIEST name I have ever heard, period. Horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty