Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2013, 09:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
..think about all the Grandpa Jasons and Grandpa Zacks that will be out there in 30-40 years!

(I personally find the idea of an old man named Jason strange for some reason... it just makes me think of a 20-something, not a guy in his 70's)
I just picture Jason Robards, and it's no problem at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 10:05 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
What country are you from?
Those are not typical American names, that's for sure!
She's Russian, so that explains most of it.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:05 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
'
@ the bolded, where are you from Yasmin you mean Jasmin, Soledad, never heard that besides Soledad Obrien, Izabela you mean Isabella etc. Careful, they gonna toss your resume/kiddies resume real fast with these off the boat names
You do know this is the WORLD Wide Web, don't you? Maybe the OP isn't American (although their location does say "upstate"), and for the record, there is no "right or wrong" way to spell a name. So I think they mean what they mean.

Furthermore, Soledad & Yasmin are not that unusual of names... unless maybe you live in the most non-diverse regions of the US.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:16 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Some will also disagree, but I find it awkward when names are a mismatch of cultures. I grew up with a kid named Padraig (one of the Irish Gaelic spellings of Patrick) Juan Silverstein, no joke. Granted, his mom was Latina and his stepdad Jewish, but his mom just picked the first name from a Celtic bodice-ripper she was reading.

Actors that come to mind with mismatched ethnic names off the top of my head include Pablo Schreiber and Shia LeBeouf. I know they're multi-ethnic, but the OCD in me likes keeping with a theme.
My sister has a friend of Mexican-Jewish descent, with a Spanish first name, Jewish surname, and Italian married name. She would really bother you, lol.

Quote:
Also, as a person born with one of the most common, bland, super-Anglo, white bread of last names, I always felt like people with more interesting-sounding (read: non-Anglo-sounding) names were lucky.
I have a long Slavic name, which my sister chose to keep after marrying... she likes having that ethnic identity, especially since her husband has a "bland Anglo" name. I don't mind it, except for the fact nobody can spell it correctly! It's really not that hard, I swear.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Says the poster who is spelling the Queen's name weirdly...
LOL right - but hey, guess what - my REAL name is spelled quite classically!

Old 11-20-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl View Post
In the contemporary west we're unusual in that we give names that don't really mean anything to us. We choose given names based on what they sound like. In a lot of other cultures and several centuries ago in the west, given names actually meant something. Calling your child Precious would have been completely understandable to a lot of people throughout the ages, but it does sound weird and even uneducated.
I think I will try to name my children while taking into account both the meaning and the sound of the name.
I named my kids names that MEANT something - I mean were either family names or names tied directly to something concrete, like a beautiful meaning or a season (for example, my oldest daughter is named Natalie because she was born around Christmas). In fact, all of my kids have some tie to family names in either their first or middle name. I really like conveying that sense of ancestry.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerpotFlowers View Post
My maternal grandmother's name was Hortencia. I never knew her, but I'm sorry, what an awful name. Thank God my parents did not give it to me. I can just picture everyone calling me H-ore as a joke. 'Hey H-ore!' 'That's my little H-ore.'
LOL I know what you mean.

When I was having babies, and then my babies were having babies, we had a whole slew of girls and were trying DESPERATELY to find names among our family names for them. But here is what we had to
Myrtie Gladys (my grandmother)

Winona (actually not that bad but none of us went for it - my other grandmother)

Jewel
Zeddie
Mavis
Betty Ann
Betty Sue
Alta Mae
Linda (pretty but overused)
Gloria (pretty but over the top - reminds of the Halleluyah Chorus)

We had to go a LOT further back - back to the 19th century of Ann Eliza, Margaret, etc.

Several of my grandbabies ended up with really old, traditional names - Katherine, Lilianne, Margaret AnneMarie, etc. One of my daughters gave the name Annabella as a middle name to her youngest - which I absolutely LOVE.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You do know this is the WORLD Wide Web, don't you? Maybe the OP isn't American (although their location does say "upstate"), and for the record, there is no "right or wrong" way to spell a name. So I think they mean what they mean.

Furthermore, Soledad & Yasmin are not that unusual of names... unless maybe you live in the most non-diverse regions of the US.
I live in Texas and Soledad and Yasmin are pretty common, especially in the Hispanic culture - and I think they are beautiful names.

Of course, it helps to have a beautiful, melodious last name to go with them. They can sound pretty weird with some combos - for instance, Soledad McKenzie would sound strange, or Yasmin Hawkins.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:13 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
I don't understand naming a girl Addison. First of all, it means "son of Adam". Secondly, it's the name of a friggin DISEASE, especially well-known because of JFK. What would make a parent want to pin such a hideous thing on a baby girl???

Old 11-20-2013, 08:52 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't understand naming a girl Addison. First of all, it means "son of Adam". Secondly, it's the name of a friggin DISEASE, especially well-known because of JFK. What would make a parent want to pin such a hideous thing on a baby girl???
Not fond of the Addison, Madison, Grandison trend myself (unless these are actual family-tree surnames, and even then, parents should think twice or use them as middle names, imho) - but at least the first two can be shortened into "Addie" and "Maddie" for everyday use.

Grandison?? Nope, "Granny" just doesn't work...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty