Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 09:30 AM
hvl

403 posts, read 551,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post

You ready for this? The name "Jacob" means "deceiver". Despite its Biblical heritage and intense popularity, I doubt many parents are looking at the name's meaning when choosing names. Nobody would name his/her child "deceiver".

This certainly has to do with the whole plate of lentils episode, right ? Jacob tricks his older brother Esau into giving him the rights that Esau enjoys as a firstborn. Jacob is thus a deceiver.

This makes me wonder though what he was called before that episode.
What name did his parents and relative use to address him ? I wonder that about a lot of characters from a very long time ago.
Their names often refers to event in their life and it makes me wonder what those people were called before the event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 10:27 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,885,736 times
I'm just waiting for my name to show up on the most unattractive list but it hasn't yet.

Honestly I don't give other folks names that much thought, sometimes I'll think that's cool or different, rarely do I ascribe a negative connotation to someone because of their name. But I will agree with some posters that naming your kid Serenity or some idiotic thing like that is cruel and made up spellings just make me roll my eyes.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:49 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,639,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I'm just waiting for my name to show up on the most unattractive list but it hasn't yet.

Honestly I don't give other folks names that much thought, sometimes I'll think that's cool or different, rarely do I ascribe a negative connotation to someone because of their name. But I will agree with some posters that naming your kid Serenity or some idiotic thing like that is cruel and made up spellings just make me roll my eyes.
Serenity, who would name their kid after an adult diaper?

Old 11-21-2013, 11:06 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,553,503 times
The OP thinks Soledad is a "beautiful" name for a girl?

He might like the name but how could it ever be considered beautiful for a girl?
bleugrh

Old 11-21-2013, 04:29 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
I'm surprised to see the name Hazel is becoming popular.
Any time I hear Hazel I think about Shirley Booth's TV show back in the 60's

Old 11-21-2013, 05:06 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,346,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
I know it's in your nature to not "get it", but who are you to tell the OP what she means? She spelled them correctly and was what she intended. This and the boat comment (which is very racist) are great examples of Americans thinking the world revolves around them and their culture.
I don't know what the boat comment was (if it was 'off the boat', well I have an off the boat name, too... it's not particularly racist or insulting to say so), but please don't broad brush all Americans. We're not all knuckle dragging, racist imbeciles, who think the world is flat. I've only met a handful of such individuals in my travels & not all reside in the Northern Americas or are from one race, nationality, religion, generation or culture.

It would be nice if some would just lighten up... it's just a thread about personal opinions of varying names, not name calling & culture/country slamming.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:44 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,701,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
I know it's in your nature to not "get it", but who are you to tell the OP what she means? She spelled them correctly and was what she intended. This and the boat comment (which is very racist) are great examples of Americans thinking the world revolves around them and their culture.
Couldn't have said it better myself, while I don't think all americans are this way, I think that a good majority are and its sad since America's culture is just a ripoff of every culture that immigrated here.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:21 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,054 times
Btw, OP is a bro

Old 11-21-2013, 11:27 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,774,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl View Post
This certainly has to do with the whole plate of lentils episode, right ? Jacob tricks his older brother Esau into giving him the rights that Esau enjoys as a firstborn. Jacob is thus a deceiver.

This makes me wonder though what he was called before that episode.
What name did his parents and relative use to address him ? I wonder that about a lot of characters from a very long time ago.
Their names often refers to event in their life and it makes me wonder what those people were called before the event.
Could be that Jacob didn't mean "deceiver" until after this episode.

Words change definitions all the time. If you say someone is "gay" today, what is the likely perceived meaning? (Homosexual.) But, in 1890, if you said someone was "gay", it'd have meant something totally different... "happy".

People's names change meaning after their episodes. Try these:

O.J.
Manson
-anything- Kardashian

People's names can carry different meanings even after episodes that are totally irrelevant to them.

Katrina
Sandy
Osama (or, as it's sometimes spelled, Usama)

Old 11-22-2013, 06:03 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,316,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by battingcakes View Post
Just please don't name your daughter PRINCESS of PRINCE. So silly, sorry
To me, these are dog names
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty