U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-23-2013, 10:48 AM
 
Location: The State Line
2,304 posts, read 3,270,630 times
Reputation: 2695

Advertisements

I went to the bank the other day, and the teller's name was "Asma." It seems to be a middle eastern name, and not a bad thing, but I could imagine it being difficult for many Americans to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-23-2013, 11:00 AM
Status: "Happy New Year!" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
88,587 posts, read 104,925,784 times
Reputation: 34109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
"Aiden" is a very old name (Irish monk in the 7th century, Catholic saint), so even if it's not your ethnicity or religion, to Irish people and Catholics the name might not be so meaningless.

The name seemed to have gained popularity in the US about ten years ago or so, and then after that all the names that rhyme with it started popping up.

A woman I know has a great-grandson named Jayden, and every time she talks about him I think, "what a stupid, jump-on-the-bandwagon name for a little boy". LOL. His parents are about 20 years old.
Yes, I know about St. Aidan (the correct spelling, according to Firefox anyway); there is a St. Aidan's church near me. So I was wrong for including that name in the litany, but the rest of the names that rhyme with it are very annoying. My daughter worked in a day care, and we used to joke about the "Aidan, Braden, Caden" brigade. Aidan just happens to be first, alphabetically, but probably doesn't belong with the rest of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2013, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
59,711 posts, read 57,186,200 times
Reputation: 71148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, I know about St. Aidan (the correct spelling, according to Firefox anyway); there is a St. Aidan's church near me. So I was wrong for including that name in the litany, but the rest of the names that rhyme with it are very annoying. My daughter worked in a day care, and we used to joke about the "Aidan, Braden, Caden" brigade. Aidan just happens to be first, alphabetically, but probably doesn't belong with the rest of them.
Yes, you are right, that's the spelling! My mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2013, 11:19 AM
 
Location: CO
2,454 posts, read 2,734,653 times
Reputation: 5218
A name you hardly ever hear is Joan. I've never known another one besides my sister. Here's another thing you don't hear much now - my mother was Catholic and gave all seven of her children the names of saints. That was very typical in Catholic families back in the day and if you didn't have a saint's first name you certainly had one for a middle name! All those Annes and Marys as middle name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2013, 11:24 AM
Status: "Happy New Year!" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
88,587 posts, read 104,925,784 times
Reputation: 34109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
A name you hardly ever hear is Joan. I've never known another one besides my sister. Here's another thing you don't hear much now - my mother was Catholic and gave all seven of her children the names of saints. That was very typical in Catholic families back in the day and if you didn't have a saint's first name you certainly had one for a middle name! All those Annes and Marys as middle name.
I know several Joans, both in their 50s. My hometown was heavily Catholic, there were lots of those saint names around. Of course it helped that, growing up in the 50s, Mary and Patricia (St. Patrick) were very popular names as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2013, 11:35 AM
 
13,515 posts, read 14,749,210 times
Reputation: 37885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
A name you hardly ever hear is Joan. I've never known another one besides my sister. Here's another thing you don't hear much now - my mother was Catholic and gave all seven of her children the names of saints. That was very typical in Catholic families back in the day and if you didn't have a saint's first name you certainly had one for a middle name! All those Annes and Marys as middle name.
I was always told "way back then" that if you did not have the name of a saint for your child, the priest would not baptize it until you picked one as a middle name.

I was told a hilarious tale of my own baptism. My mother was a convert, and though one of several years, was really not up on all this. Our church had a garrulous, pendantic monsignor as its head. He was still head of the parish when I was a youngster, and I can remember that midnight mass on Christmas took a paralyzing three hours because of his long sermon and then his even longer post-mass personal greeting to the congregation.

He began my baptism with a seemingly interminable introduction as to the meaning of the sacrament. And then in preparation for the actual event, he said to my mother, and who is he named after. My mother happily burbled out, "His grandfathers."

My godparents born Catholics and seasoned parishioners of Monsignor Mullet, gave my mother an elbow that nearly crumpled her to the floor with a collapsed lung, and in unison, loudly and several times proclaimed, "John the Baptism, Monsigner! John the Baptist!! Yes, John the Baptist!" They were that desperate that he might feel that my mother's remark clearly called for an extensive replay of Baptism 101, enriched with multiple references from the bottomless pit of the Church Fathers in which he enjoyed dipping for quotations.

He evidently was very overwhelmed by the Fitzgerald's loudness and several repetitions. Looking a bit puzzled, he replied distractedly, "Oh, I thought it might be St. John of Matha as he was born on his feast day." And with that he turned to the actual aquatic event itself.

Sadie Fitzgerald is alleged to have turned to my mother after they had left the church and admonished her: "Marjory, remember, next time, have a lie for the Monsignor."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2013, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Bangor Maine
3,442 posts, read 5,717,780 times
Reputation: 3992
This is a name I think is becomming popular again. My grandmother had a sister named Olive and she married a guy named Eddie Onion, thus she became Olive Onion - true story and she was a lovely lady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2013, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Ohio
15,502 posts, read 13,941,413 times
Reputation: 21474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Um, yes--isn't that the point of all those baby-name books they sell with the name meanings in them? Well, now that most of the info is online, they probably don't sell so many, but yes, people do look up the meanings of baby names, all the time.

I named my daughter after my MIL, who died while I was pregnant, but I wanted to make sure the name didn't mean something negative, either, or I wouldn't have used it.
You misunderstood my point.

YOU may look up the meaning of a name when you are picking it out.......but do you really think the people your child meets throughout their life are going to bother to look up the meaning of their name?

Trust me, no one is going to know or care what the name means but you.

Of all of the people you know......how many do you know the meaning of their name?

When people judge someone's name in real life......they don't judge it by what it means.

A name could have the most beautiful meaning you could imagine......and still be an ugly name that has a negative connotation when most people hear it.

When I hear the name Bertha, for example, I think of an ugly woman built like a tree stump.....I have no idea what the name means, nor do I care.

That's why I just don't understand why anyone would pick a name based on what it means. No one you meet is going to care what your name means.......except possibly, your mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2013, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
59,711 posts, read 57,186,200 times
Reputation: 71148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
You misunderstood my point.

YOU may look up the meaning of a name when you are picking it out.......but do you really think the people your child meets throughout their life are going to bother to look up the meaning of their name?

Trust me, no one is going to know or care what the name means but you.

Of all of the people you know......how many do you know the meaning of their name?

When people judge someone's name in real life......they don't judge it by what it means.

A name could have the most beautiful meaning you could imagine......and still be an ugly name that has a negative connotation when most people hear it.

When I hear the name Bertha, for example, I think of an ugly woman built like a tree stump.....I have no idea what the name means, nor do I care.

That's why I just don't understand why anyone would pick a name based on what it means. No one you meet is going to care what your name means.......except possibly, your mother.
Ok, I see what you mean. You are right, most of us aren't going to be thinking of the meaning of anyone else's name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2013, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Northern Minnesota
30,511 posts, read 2,696,586 times
Reputation: 10037
I love my name, LORRAINE along with the traditional spelling. My father loved the French part of himself and Lorraine is a place name in France. Growing up in Chicago I never knew or met another Lorraine (I'm 56) even though they were out there. Then when I lived in New England 25 years ago I finally met other Lorraine's, but they were all older than me by about 30 years. Recently I met a Lorraine who is younger than me by about 10 years and she's originally from Massachusetts. She told me it is a more common name out there, or was. Anyway, I have always liked not running into too many women with my name.

A fun thing to do is pick out a name for yourself if you had to change it. I wouldn't want to change mine but if I had to the only name I could come up with is Claire.

Last edited by geebabe; 11-23-2013 at 01:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top