U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2013, 01:03 PM

861 posts, read 1,245,719 times

Advertisements

Trendy names.
Names that end in "den"- Hayden, Brayden, Jayden, Caden, etc.
Names with alternative spellings.
Any black names- Shaniqua, Jamal, Tyrone, Laquisha, etc.
1950s names- Linda, Barbara, Deborah, Gary, Larry, Peter, etc. They're all very plain and old looking.
Girls with boy names such as Allison and Madison. Any name that ends in "son" is a boys name.
Celebrity names- Apple, Northwest and any other ridiculous names celebrities have named their kids.
Hyphenated names.

I think the period from the late 1800s to the 1920s had the best names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 01:18 PM

88,721 posts, read 105,110,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
You misunderstood my point.

YOU may look up the meaning of a name when you are picking it out.......but do you really think the people your child meets throughout their life are going to bother to look up the meaning of their name?

Trust me, no one is going to know or care what the name means but you.

Of all of the people you know......how many do you know the meaning of their name?

When people judge someone's name in real life......they don't judge it by what it means.

A name could have the most beautiful meaning you could imagine......and still be an ugly name that has a negative connotation when most people hear it.

When I hear the name Bertha, for example, I think of an ugly woman built like a tree stump.....I have no idea what the name means, nor do I care.

That's why I just don't understand why anyone would pick a name based on what it means. No one you meet is going to care what your name means.......except possibly, your mother.
Here is why you don't like "Bertha".
Big Bertha (howitzer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
Trendy names.
Names that end in "den"- Hayden, Brayden, Jayden, Caden, etc.
Names with alternative spellings.
Any black names- Shaniqua, Jamal, Tyrone, Laquisha, etc.
1950s names- Linda, Barbara, Deborah, Gary, Larry, Peter, etc. They're all very plain and old looking.
Girls with boy names such as Allison and Madison. Any name that ends in "son" is a boys name.
Celebrity names- Apple, Northwest and any other ridiculous names celebrities have named their kids.
Hyphenated names.

I think the period from the late 1800s to the 1920s had the best names.
What, names like Ethel, Hazel, Viola, Lillian, etc? Some of those are names of women in my family. Not my faves.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:54 PM

60,015 posts, read 57,429,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Here is why you don't like "Bertha".
Big Bertha (howitzer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What, names like Ethel, Hazel, Viola, Lillian, etc? Some of those are names of women in my family. Not my faves.
My neighbor has a seven-year-old named Lillian. She is adorable, but that's not a name you find often on a kid that age.

I grew up hearing about my great-aunt Bertha, my grandmother's sister who died the year I was born. I always thought it was an awful name (others in the same family were Nellie, Henrietta, and Marinus). Recently an old woman in my church died. Her name was "Bert", which I'd assumed was short for Alberta or Roberta, but it turned out she was a Bertha. At the funeral parlor, they had photos of her as a young woman. She had been beautiful! Her looks didn't go with the name, in my mind, either the nickname or Bertha itself.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:17 PM

2,454 posts, read 2,743,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
A fun thing to do is pick out a name for yourself if you had to change it. I wouldn't want to change mine but if I had to the only name I could come up with is Claire.
Well we Catholic children got to do that when we chose a confirmation name when we around 10 years old. But guess what, it still had to be a saint's name! I just had to wrack my brain to think of mine (that was a long time ago). I chose Virginia which was the most exotic name I could think of. I have a vey plain first name so I thought that was cool.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:57 PM

13,515 posts, read 14,792,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
This is a name I think is becomming popular again. My grandmother had a sister named Olive and she married a guy named Eddie Onion, thus she became Olive Onion - true story and she was a lovely lady.
There was a lovely lady in town Ima Smith. (Loathe the name Ima!) And she married our high school principal........Don Horr, So, she became Ima Horr, and very quickly after that Frances (her middle name) Horr.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:05 PM

65 posts, read 68,457 times
Most name Afro American name their kids OMG.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:47 PM

10,847 posts, read 8,860,961 times
Okay, I just had to look up the meaning of "Bertha", which seems to be on most people's dislike lists.

"Bright". It's Old English, from Germanic roots.

BTW, Anne Shirley (aka "Anne of Green Gables") told Marilla Cuthbert, by whom she was newly adopted, that her late birth parents' names were Walter and Bertha Shirley - "Aren't those lovely names?", said Anne-with-an-E.

Times change, and so do tastes.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:03 PM

60,015 posts, read 57,429,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Okay, I just had to look up the meaning of "Bertha", which seems to be on most people's dislike lists.

"Bright". It's Old English, from Germanic roots.

BTW, Anne Shirley (aka "Anne of Green Gables") told Marilla Cuthbert, by whom she was newly adopted, that her late birth parents' names were Walter and Bertha Shirley - "Aren't those lovely names?", said Anne-with-an-E.

Times change, and so do tastes.
Interesting. Had no idea. +1 to you for looking it up.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:08 PM

537 posts, read 639,812 times
Senator. Congressman. Supreme Court Justice. POTUS. Oh . . . and Betty.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:10 PM

10,847 posts, read 8,860,961 times
Thanks, MQ - of course, thinking "Walter" and "Bertha" were "perfectly lovely names" was the notion of a (fictional, but immortal) child who wanted to change her perfectly acceptable name to "Cordelia"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty