U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 10:12 AM

15,600 posts, read 32,084,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Some will also disagree, but I find it awkward when names are a mismatch of cultures. I grew up with a kid named Padraig (one of the Irish Gaelic spellings of Patrick) Juan Silverstein, no joke. Granted, his mom was Latina and his stepdad Jewish, but his mom just picked the first name from a Celtic bodice-ripper she was reading.

Actors that come to mind with mismatched ethnic names off the top of my head include Pablo Schreiber and Shia LeBeouf. I know they're multi-ethnic, but the OCD in me likes keeping with a theme. Also, as a person born with one of the most common, bland, super-Anglo, white bread of last names, I always felt like people with more interesting-sounding (read: non-Anglo-sounding) names were lucky.
Haha - that would be me! I have a very, very proper sounding British first and middle name, and my maiden name was very very Spanish. Today I am married and have a last name that is more matched to my first name.

Anyway, I don't care much for old-fashioned girl names like Agnes, Abigail, Mildred, Hortense, Margaret.

For guys, my most hated name ever is Elmer (or Delmer or Elmo). And I agree with the person who hates names ending in 'bert, like Robert, Norbert, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 10:15 AM

37,230 posts, read 43,516,720 times
My baby boomer mom had about a zillion Lindas as classmates, but it's def not common now. I like Margaret; it was my great aunt's name. Her sister, my grandma, was Marie, which I also love.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:17 AM

262 posts, read 467,389 times
Opinion on unisex names??

Old 11-17-2013, 10:23 AM

1,903 posts, read 2,082,134 times
[apologies in advance to any Todd's who may be on this board]

"Todd" has always struck me as a cross between "toddler" and "turd." Also, I find it hard to say. As a workaround, I call Todd "Scott." They're practically the same name, anyway...

Favorite girl names by far: Sally and Nina.

Here's hoping the trend to give babies last names instead of proper first names dies a quick death. New baby in the house? Let's name her "Kowalski"!

Old 11-17-2013, 10:27 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,556,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
Just reverse your lists for me.

Madeleine and Margot are beautiful names.
Reminds me of maggots! Nah!

Old 11-17-2013, 10:31 AM

37,230 posts, read 43,516,720 times
I'm over place names as kid names. I don't need to know anymore Madisons, Dakotas, or Dallases.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:33 AM

59,842 posts, read 57,300,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm over place names as kid names. I don't need to know anymore Madisons, Dakotas, or Dallases.
I agree. And why those names? How come no one names their baby Camden or Newark?

Old 11-17-2013, 10:37 AM

1,373 posts, read 2,556,089 times
I dont mind much except hill billy names like Sally Ann, Baue (pronounced Bow), Carly,

Hood names like Jayden, Shawn, Keisha, Ebony, Jasmin

Preppy names like Mikaela, Sunshine,

Old knitting lady names like Margaret, Penelope , Debra though its making a come back

Old 11-17-2013, 10:50 AM

10,234 posts, read 14,253,619 times
If I was having a baby girl right not I think I would give her one of these once-common names: Linda, Sharon, or Karen. They are very pretty, feminine names but they got so overused for a couple of generations that I didn't like them for the longest time.

I know a teenager named Margaret, and she does not go by anything else by the full name. On the other hand, I know a woman in her 30's named Tyson and that's about as ugly a name for a female as it can get (good name for a dog).

Always hated the name Maggie. Gratefully there's never been many of them. Also don't like Heidi.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:58 AM

15,273 posts, read 13,144,072 times
Aggie.
Bella.
Lizzy
Nellie
Kelly
Tracy
Sheila
Jessie
Maisie
Senga
Gertrude
Camilla
Chelsea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty